Power problem on DCC layout

rafregt1

I have looked into this before, but i am still having a problem, i have now changed my points and put in a seep P1 motor to the two points see enclosed photos, i attached the points to the layout with ins, fishplates as per the photo,  but as soon as i  put a loco over the track it tripped out. The two points are wired into the bus bar , and when you put a loco onto them without being attached to the layout no problem .  I have even changed  the two wires  around D and E  on the seep motor but no difference .any info will be of great help, many thanks.

2020_1211points0001.JPG

2020_1211points0002.JPG

2020_1211points0003.JPG

2020_1211points0004.JPG

2020_1211points0005.JPG

2020_1211points0006.JPG

2020_1211points0008.JPG

2020_1211points0009.JPG

2020_1211points0010.JPG

2020_1211points0013.JPG

2020_1211points0014.JPG

2020_1211points0006.JPG

• RMweb Premium

If you look carefully at the pen-ultimate picture you'll see that the two wires on the extreme right and going through the holes to the rails above are the opposite way round to all the other coloured wires. Its also noticeable in the fifth picture down from the top.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not talking about the SEEP motors. Look at the track feeds in the fifth photo down. There is a black wire to the nearside rail on the left and a red wire to the near side rail on the right.

Should the red wire be black? I suspect that's where your problem lies because the rail polarity is changing.

• Agree 2

One thing to check if the seep contact is fully making as they can sometimes move the point but the aux contact doesn’t fully move/break.

best way to check this is to carefully push the actuating rod after its electrically operated and you can also see the contact if accessible.

Edited by 43110andyb
To add info

If the short happens when you go from the plain board to the scenic section (the place where the loco is shown) then the wires marked "power bus bar" may the be wrong phasing (DCC for polarity)**

Try unplugging the seeps on the plain board & running the loco across the points (it may stall at the frog, push it through the point until it runs again

If there is no short then the phasing of the plain section may be incorrect (as previously mentioned)

If there is a short then 43110andyb might be correct

**You can check the phasing by testing for voltage between

A-A     Full volts  indicates correct phasing , no volts indicates incorrect phasing

B-B     Full volts  indicates correct phasing , no volts indicates incorrect phasing

C-C     No volts  indicates correct phasing , Full volts indicates incorrect phasing

D-D    No volts  indicates correct phasing , Full volts indicates incorrect phasing

817453911_polaritycheck.png.17d18d5a81481fe15e33af90b960de11.png

John

The voltage tool you are using is not the most useful for this purpose because voltage across the rails is not what you are looking for. A multimeter would be much better.

Using board joins for an insulated gap can be problematic unless you are careful, or leave big gaps. I have seen layouts go back together & the rails have touched unexpectedly, but let's assume they are not touching.

With the power on & points selected to run along your chosen route, do you get a voltage across the board join on what should be the same piece of rail? If you do, this indicates a fault.

• RMweb Gold

If you connect a multimeter on continuity setting (or battery and bulb) across your ‘busbar’ /rails whilst wiring you will soon know if you make a mistake as you are going.

Edited by BoD