Class 37/5 Sounds

Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't quite sure what forum to put this in...

Class 37/5s were rewired and had CP7 bogies fitted when converted from 37/0s and had an alternator installed in place of the generator. Now, I am unaware of any differences that will significantly impact the sound.

Is anybody able to please:

• Confirm that a 37/5 sounds the same as a 37/0.
  • Make comment on the available 37/5 sound offerings as recent videos seem limited on Youtube.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

engine....yes the same pretty much however loaded up slightly slower and more controlled

start up...different....the 37/5s were alternator fitted....generator fitted locomotives start the engine by motoring over the generator, you cant do this with an alternator so 37/5s have starter motors which make a characteristic whining sound when starting the engine.

biffo supplies both refurbished and unrefurbished sound files, as does Howes, and maybe Jamie goodman, SWD also supply both types, ive only sampled biffs recently and I must say its very very good.

Edited by pheaton
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, pheaton said:

engine....yes the same pretty much however loaded up slightly slower and more controlled

start up...different....the 37/5s were alternator fitted....generator fitted locomotives start the engine by motoring over the generator, you cant do this with an alternator so 37/5s have starter motors which make a characteristic whining sound when starting the engine.

biffo supplies both refurbished and unrefurbished sound files, as does Howes, and maybe Jamie goodman, SWD also supply both types, ive only sampled biffs recently and I must say its very very good.

Thanks for that pheaton - that led me to go listen to a load of 37s starting up and then identify that there seems to be a whole load of 37 sound videos on Youtube that don't have the right sounds in them!

Seems there isn't much by way of offerings that are really a 37/5. I had thought Coastal DCC and South West Digital had them from listening to Youtube videos, but that does not seem to be the case and they are generic Class 37 sounds or 37/0s.

Seems that I maybe better to go with a 37/4 (I guess it is higher revving for the ETH supply) and then a reblow when something better is available.

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks for that pheaton - that led me to go listen to a load of 37s starting up and then identify that there seems to be a whole load of 37 sound videos on Youtube that don't have the right sounds in them!

Seems there isn't much by way of offerings that are really a 37/5. I had thought Coastal DCC and South West Digital had them from listening to Youtube videos, but that does not seem to be the case and they are generic Class 37 sounds or 37/0s.

Seems that I maybe better to go with a 37/4 (I guess it is higher revving for the ETH supply) and then a reblow when something better is available.

Roy

Why do that when Biffo supplies the correct file.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

SWD definitely have them roy, not I have that project in two of my 37/5s, Likewise so do howse, but its fairly old project, I dont know if Jamie Goodman @gooderzhas done one he might of but Obviously Biffs is also well known which I believe is recorded from a 37/5, and im sure he has done one from a 37/4 as well.

I don't know if 37s do rev up, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't....they have quite a low ETH capability, the idle speed is the same with ETH off (compared to a 45 or 47 in which the idle speed was permanently raised)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Why do that when Biffo supplies the correct file.

Dave.

Because when I look at the available Legomanbiffo sounds there is a 37/0, 37/4 and a 37/9, but no 37/5 or 37/7. 

Edit: That was from DC Kits - I am cautious  about reference to other sites as I had the experience of nearly buying a Legomanbiffo Class 44 sound chip from another site but Biff assures me he has never recorded one and that it must be a Class 45 or 46 really.

44 minutes ago, pheaton said:

SWD definitely have them roy, not I have that project in two of my 37/5s, Likewise so do howse, but its fairly old project, I dont know if Jamie Goodman @gooderzhas done one he might of but Obviously Biffs is also well known which I believe is recorded from a 37/5, and im sure he has done one from a 37/4 as well.

I don't know if 37s do rev up, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't....they have quite a low ETH capability, the idle speed is the same with ETH off (compared to a 45 or 47 in which the idle speed was permanently raised)

Thanks again phaeton. When I looked at the SWD website they seem to just list two 37s without stating what they are - I will give them a call next week. Coastal DCC are the same as Legomanbiffo listing a 37/0, 37/4 and 37/9.

Where does Jamie Goodman sell his sounds? I am not keen to use a Zimo decoder as I have a Lokprogrammer so try to use ESU decoders when I can, so that ruled out Digitrains etc.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy,

Jamie is Loksound, he's on here drop him a PM. He takes PayPal and emails you the sound file.

SWD just sell a Non re-furbed and refurbed 37 file, was at a time when I didn't pay much attention to 37s, I dont think there is too much difference to the sounds between a 4 and 5 TBH. But more knowledgeable folk might have a different opinion :)

• Thanks 1

Jamie Goodman's chip is an unrefurbished 37/0.

The Legoman "Wensleydale 37/4" chip is recorded from 37674 (which is a 37/5) and is ideal for 37/4s, 37/5s and 37/7s.

37/4s have the higher speed tickover when supplying ETH to the train, otherwise theres no sound difference between 37/4, 37/5 and 37/7. None of the sound projects I've had are specific enough to have this higher tickover included although its possible to simulate it with DriveHold.

Most suppliers list their 'refurbished' sound projects as 37/4s but they're suitable for all refurbished 37s from 37401 to 37899.

No connection, just a satisfied guy with a lot of sound fitted 37/4s and 37/5s and experience of the real things to tell the difference :-)

Edited by DavidM
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Jamie Goodman's chip is an unrefurbished 37/0.

The Legoman "Wensleydale 37/4" chip is recorded from 37674 (which is a 37/5) and is ideal for 37/4s, 37/5s and 37/7s.

37/4s have the higher speed tickover when supplying ETH to the train, otherwise theres no sound difference between 37/4, 37/5 and 37/7. None of the sound projects I've had are specific enough to have this higher tickover included although its possible to simulate it with DriveHold.

Most suppliers list their 'refurbished' sound projects as 37/4s but they're suitable for all refurbished 37s from 37401 to 37899.

No connection, just a satisfied guy with a lot of sound fitted 37/4s and 37/5s and experience of the real things to tell the difference :-)

See https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

We do Mirlees & Ruston's too!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uB9lj8F2y4NhUBQ4XROxjhGKTB9nrRYp/view

• RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2020 at 21:20, dasatcopthorne said:

Why not ask DC Kits and see if they do actually do what you want?

I looked at the website as I often do - I have over 40 sound chips from Charlie so far.

I try not to phone as Charlie is often busy and the website tends to be up to date.

Roy