Dapol (Kitmaster/Airfix) Meat Van

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, quite a few came back later, but for a while the range really shrank (even more than I remembered). The 6th & 7th edition catalogues (1969, 1970) only list the Mineral wagon and Esso Tank wagon. The 1968 price list lists those two plus Prestwin Silo wagon and Lowmac, though with a note that they were not illustrated, and the Refrigerator van was 'out of production'. The Meat van was on the 1967 list.

Obviously the tools must have been kept as Dapol have been rerunning almost the whole range. The only Airfix rolling stock item they haven't reintroduced are the set of Airfix hornhook couplings.

I think the only other thing that Dapol don't currently make that Airfix released (including Kitmaster reissues) is the J94. I believe the tooling is too far gone for any more.

Pity really. I reckon they would be pretty useful. I know they made a few in the 1980s, but they haven't been available for years.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/J94.htm

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think the only other thing that Dapol don't currently make that Airfix released (including Kitmaster reissues) is the J94. I believe the tooling is too far gone for any more.

Pity really. I reckon they would be pretty useful. I know they made a few in the 1980s, but they haven't been available for years.

Jason

I agree it would be useful, but that's one kit that's not coming back.  The tooling was not just damaged it was destroyed in the Winsford factory fire just before Dapol moved to Chirk.  There's a link to a discussion about it here.

I think we're drifting a bit off the topic of meat vans though, it's time to give Mallard60022 his thread back.

Moxy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

In reality, Dapol are flogging something of a dead horse, in my experience, all the current re-releases suffer from poor mould quality, crisp edges lost etc, in the case of the meat van, the gap between the axlebox and tiebar has healed up on one side amongst other issues, and that's before we mention the strange plastic they use. It's more noticeable when comparing current efforts to Airfix originals.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They have reasonable metal wheels, the same ones the normal wagons have I believe and NEM tension lock couplings (for those that use them).

I don't know why people are paying £9 though. Only £5.46 at Hattons. Some of the others are £6.60.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34856/dapol_c041_10t_ventilated_meat_van_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

You can see the wheels in this one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34853/dapol_c038_br_brake_van_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Apologies ; I had 4 and the postage confused me...easily done theses days. They were just over £6.00 each,  from a very small supplier, as I like to find and support them even if its costs a little more. £3.00 postage.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They have reasonable metal wheels, the same ones the normal wagons have I believe and NEM tension lock couplings (for those that use them).

I don't know why people are paying £9 though. Only £5.46 at Hattons. Some of the others are £6.60.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34856/dapol_c041_10t_ventilated_meat_van_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

You can see the wheels in this one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34853/dapol_c038_br_brake_van_wagon_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Plus £2.75 P&P.

Swings and roundabouts?

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-Kitmaster-Meat-Van-Kit-OO-Gauge-DAC041/401630907057?epid=2255980428&hash=item5d83114ab1:g:ZY4AAOSwn91b41te

£6.95 including delivery.

But good to know they have metal wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Moxy said:

I agree it would be useful, but that's one kit that's not coming back.  The tooling was not just damaged it was destroyed in the Winsford factory fire just before Dapol moved to Chirk.  There's a link to a discussion about it here.

I think we're drifting a bit off the topic of meat vans though, it's time to give Mallard60022 his thread back.

Moxy

Thanks matey. I don't care if the discussion gives folks something to chat about on this miserable Sunday (well it is wet and dull grey here in 36E. I have learned a lot and it is fun to hear about the 'history' and some details I had never known. I seem to remember those Kitmaster Coaches were a good version back then; don't think I ever got one as they were a bit expensive for a poor lad in a poor household. I craved the Deltic! I still have the Pug and the J94 I made in the late 60s and a few others (Schools, WR 2.6.2, 9F, West Country) I made in the early 70s I think once I had started work. 

Was there a Crocodile or am I imagining that?

My meaty vans have lovely crisp mouldings; maybe because the Meat Van wasn't produced so often?

I found the wheels a tad large compared to the usual Gibson 12mm I use; more like Dapol Wagon/Van Wheels which isn't surprising is it. Good quality though, unless you are really fussed about dead accuracy. 

IMO these are good little kits to (say) do with a grandchild if they were interested, as it won't matter too much if the glue gets spread around a bit or it is a bit wonky. It is certainly something I would be excited about if I were older. in a Care Home, possibly with Dementia, and a decent OT found out I liked building railway things. 

Phi

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Plus £2.75 P&P.

Swings and roundabouts?

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-Kitmaster-Meat-Van-Kit-OO-Gauge-DAC041/401630907057?epid=2255980428&hash=item5d83114ab1:g:ZY4AAOSwn91b41te

£6.95 including delivery.

But good to know they have metal wheels.

TBH I hardly ever pay postage on things from the big suppliers. I normally add things like these to the parcel when I'm buying something bigger. Sometimes using them to knock the price up to the free P&P threshold. Quite a few of them have got deals on free postage at the moment some for as little as £30 to £50. TMC for example.

That "Trunk" thing that Hattons is doing is very good for that. You add things to the trunk and when you go over the postage threshold you then get it delivered for free!

I've always wanted the Slaters version. I stopped modelling in O Gauge a few years back but I like the look of it. Might get one some day.

https://www.slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7065

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks matey. I don't care if the discussion gives folks something to chat about on this miserable Sunday (well it is wet and dull grey here in 36E. I have learned a lot and it is fun to hear about the 'history' and some details I had never known. I seem to remember those Kitmaster Coaches were a good version back then; don't think I ever got one as they were a bit expensive for a poor lad in a poor household. I craved the Deltic! I still have the Pug and the J94 I made in the late 60s and a few others (Schools, WR 2.6.2, 9F, West Country) I made in the early 70s I think once I had started work. 

Was there a Crocodile or am I imagining that?

My meaty vans have lovely crisp mouldings; maybe because the Meat Van wasn't produced so often?

I found the wheels a tad large compared to the usual Gibson 12mm I use; more like Dapol Wagon/Van Wheels which isn't surprising is it. Good quality though, unless you are really fussed about dead accuracy. 

IMO these are good little kits to (say) do with a grandchild if they were interested, as it won't matter too much if the glue gets spread around a bit or it is a bit wonky. It is certainly something I would be excited about if I were older. in a Care Home, possibly with Dementia, and a decent OT found out I liked building railway things. 

Phi

Are the Gibson wheels under sized? Should be the scale equivalent of 1.5inches larger, wagon wheels are not 3ft. 

I asked about the wheels because they were the awful part of the Airfix kit. Two none too round mouldings of a 3 hole wheel held together by a male/female joint. Slowly we realised that some sleeving from a suitable electric wire could hold them a little more squarely but basically they didn't work. Triang wheels weren't a lot better then!

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My memory of discussion in the early 1960s was that this was expensive technology and a suggestion that a million of a wagon kit would need to be sold to make a return.  I looked up an inflation time line and 10p (2 shillings) in 1960 is less than £2 now. So admittedly they are now sold in boxes (the early models were in hanging plastic bags) and have decent wheels they are expensive. Airfix kits were very affordable - IIRC Kitmasters a bit more expensive (they didn't sell through Woolies so I never bought any of them). Even their biggest kits - the Lancaster bomber, car carrying aircraft etc. were only 7/6 and quite affordable in comparison for example with Dinky toy road vehicles. 

Paul

• Like 4

Going back to Dapol Meat Vans........BUT not as you know it !

I found in a junk shop in seaton last year pre lock down. a Dapol Meat Van, not the kit version But a RTR version,

which at least lacks the chunky hinges in the one piece body moulding and blends in quite well with my kit versions 

the question is why did Dapol have such a short run in makeing this model RTR ? Dapol usually churn things out for ever ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

My memory of discussion in the early 1960s was that this was expensive technology and a suggestion that a million of a wagon kit would need to be sold to make a return.  I looked up an inflation time line and 10p (2 shillings) in 1960 is less than £2 now. So admittedly they are now sold in boxes (the early models were in hanging plastic bags) and have decent wheels they are expensive. Airfix kits were very affordable - IIRC Kitmasters a bit more expensive (they didn't sell through Woolies so I never bought any of them). Even their biggest kits - the Lancaster bomber, car carrying aircraft etc. were only 7/6 and quite affordable in comparison for example with Dinky toy road vehicles. 

Paul

I think the current prices are reasonable. I recently bought a few of the reissues of the old Airfix kits and they are a similar price.

Obviously not as sophisticated as modern Airfix or the likes of Tamiya. But they are aimed at the nostalgia market.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000429/1000588/1000721/0/airfix_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_military_ground_vehicles/prodlist.aspx

As an example the AEC Matador which was quite sought after by railway modellers for conversions. £5.50 at Hattons. Got one the other week. Good quality plastic with no flash.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/368145/airfix_a01314v_aec_matador_and_5_5_inch_gun_airfix_classics_range_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Are the Gibson wheels under sized? Should be the scale equivalent of 1.5inches larger, wagon wheels are not 3ft. 

I asked about the wheels because they were the awful part of the Airfix kit. Two none too round mouldings of a 3 hole wheel held together by a male/female joint. Slowly we realised that some sleeving from a suitable electric wire could hold them a little more squarely but basically they didn't work. Triang wheels weren't a lot better then!

Paul

Well Paul, I think the ones that come with the Parkside kits are Gibsons and 12mm but could be wrong and they may be 12and a tad mm, and they are an acceptable size for me; can't comment but I find Hornby and Bachman ones are a bit too chunky looking, but that's just me as well (not chunky....fussy!) hardly ever get a wobbler either!

56 minutes ago, Graham456 said:

I found in a junk shop in seaton last year pre lock down. a Dapol Meat Van, not the kit version But a RTR version,

which at least lacks the chunky hinges in the one piece body moulding and blends in quite well with my kit versions 

the question is why did Dapol have such a short run in makeing this model RTR ? Dapol usually churn things out for ever ?

What was the 'Catalogue' number for that Graham?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think the current prices are reasonable. I recently bought a few of the reissues of the old Airfix kits and they are a similar price.

Obviously not as sophisticated as modern Airfix or the likes of Tamiya. But they are aimed at the nostalgia market.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000429/1000588/1000721/0/airfix_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_military_ground_vehicles/prodlist.aspx

As an example the AEC Matador which was quite sought after by railway modellers for conversions. £5.50 at Hattons. Got one the other week. Good quality plastic with no flash.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/368145/airfix_a01314v_aec_matador_and_5_5_inch_gun_airfix_classics_range_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Thanks Jason; I could stick the Gun on a Warwell, maybe or give to a mate that loves Military Guns?

AS for the other plastic kits, especially aircraft, I have to really work hard to not start buying that sort of thing. After seeing the outstanding work of some people on RMW, when it comes to Aircraft Kit building, I need to resist as I could not hope to come near to either their patience or their finishing skills.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham456 said:

I've got one of those, and also a few of the ordinary BR Vanfits that Dapol did at the time, both planked and plywood sided versions.  I think there was a change of management/ownership(?) at Dapol, following which they no longer produced those models.

After little while Bachmann introduced their own different models of the standard Vanfits (and Parkside also make kits of them), but the Meat Van has not been done again in RTR form.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

What was the 'Catalogue' number for that Graham?

Phil

Sorry but it was unboxed,!

i did find it on the net just after I bought it but I have had a year to forget ! Helpful I know

• Funny 1

A search back has found your answer on a very useful site called rmweb !

Steamport Southport posted

Posted March 30, 2019

Never heard or seen one of these. Quick look in Ramsay's says...

1985 by Dapol. Only three types made and two of them are fictional.

B26   B870074  1985

B180 B670006 1989

B102 LMS 173127 date unknown

Went to Hornby 1996. But problems with the tooling meant they only made two further batches. Very short run of about 1000 each.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 5050 said:

All the info you'll ever need on Kitmaster and Airfix in here -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Stick-Little-Bit-More/dp/1906919496

It's getting a copy though. Rare as hens teeth.

I did track down a copy at the library so have had a look at it. Liverpool Central Library if anyone is local.

This was the original version which has about half the amount of pages and that goes for over £30!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Stick-Together-Steven-Knight/dp/1871608902/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&qid=1607971257&refinements=p_27%3ASteven+Knight&s=books&sr=1-25&text=Steven+Knight

Jason