Lidl ultrasonic cleaner, what do you use yours for

The previous time these were available I was mildly interested as a few have reported using these for cleaning up work after soldering and prior to painting. Well with them being back on the shelf on Thursday I bagged a couple (one for my daughter) as they were only £20 each. Got the usual reply from the wife "not another gadget" until I said it could be used to clean jewellery. First my metal watch strap came out gleaming (never been cleaned in 20 years) then we tried one of her bracelets (too dirty to wear) and 2 pairs of earrings (not used as she gets an allergic reaction over time with use)  Well all came out gleaming

The question is what do you use your ultrasonic cleaner for,

I used water with a drop of Fairy liquid in it. What liquid do you use in yours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I purchased a 3L one a few months ago and some PCB cleaner, I can drop several brass coaches in at a time and use it to clean and degrease the bodies during construction.

The good thing is that when you start putting detail on the bodies you don't have to scrub them with a brush to clean and so I've had less damage.

I should have got one ages ago.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I use either a drop of washing-up liquid or a larger amount of car screen cleaner, the type supposed to get rid of grime and bugs (which I believe contains methanol). I've also tried the glass cleaner which I think is mild acetic acid, but that didn't do much.

I've had good results putting a chassis in, (Triang or Hornby), with the motor removed of course.

Be warned though, putting in a Triang 0-6-0 3F body shell to see how well it would clean up saw all the transfers for the lining crumble and float off. I didn't weep too long or hard as I don't model BR period so it will end up with a coat of black and "M R" on the tender sooner or later.

I've also seen a warning somewhere that some sintered metals might start flaking due to the vibration.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a LIdl one for several years and find it invaluable for cleaning up brass kits, especially after soldering.  Too small for coaches though - I reckon I'd need a tank length of not less that 250mm for those and I envy Dave his 3L one.  Because I use it most after soldering I bought some specific ultrasonic flux cleaner from Allendale Ultrasonics, and that seems to work well though I've no idea whether it does any better a job than, say, IPA.  I also bought some general purpose ultrasonic cleaner from the same source.

DT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have used it to clean (other people's!) hardened acrylic paint from airbrushes. Just dunk the disassembled components into IPA and the magic follows on. I have been warned off using it with white spirit for hardened enamel paint because of the adverse effects on the plastic parts of the cleaner.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a Lidl one for a few years. It hasn't had a huge amount of use but whenever it has been used the results have been impressive.  I'd read that cider vinegar works well in them and when I tried it noticed an immediate improvement in the already good results.  I intend to try ordinary vinegar next on the grounds that it's far cheaper and more likely to be "in stock" than cider vinegar.

I've only recently discovered that it heats the liquid as well and was surprised and impressed by how much of a difference that made.

Edited by mike morley

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, I've just thrown mine away after about 10 years of not too intensive use, cheap enough at the price, but it did the job. It's been replaced by a more industrial version with a choice of power levels and an adjustable timer.

I used either CIF/JIF or soda crystals diluted for cleaning purposes and a final zap in pure water to get rid of the soapy residue.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I use mine for stirring  paint.
No, really!
You have to get your settled-out enamal tinlet started with a stick of some sort, but onec the "lump" of pigment is mobile, 10 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner gives you beautiffully resuspended paint.  Just like new. :-)
Works for acrylics too.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Torper said:

I envy Dave his 3L one

Don't envy me, it was £90 !

I figured that with so many coaches to build I ought to go for the bigger tank which has proved worthwhile, if it was just small loco and tender,  or whitemetal wagons the smaller Lidl one would be great.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I figured that with so many coaches to build I ought to go for the bigger tank which has proved worthwhile, if it was just small loco and tender,  or whitemetal wagons the smaller Lidl one would be great.

That's not a bad price for a larger version.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I got mine from ebay but it's been useful for, as other have said, cleaning airbrush parts, also Rotring pens, jewellery, models to be painted, even old coins and whatnot dug up in the garden. It stays in its box for months on end but is definitely useful on occasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike morley said:

I'd read that cider vinegar works well in them and when I tried it noticed an immediate improvement in the already good results.  I intend to try ordinary vinegar next on the grounds that it's far cheaper and more likely to be "in stock" than cider vinegar.

I've only recently discovered that it heats the liquid as well and was surprised and impressed by how much of a difference that made.

...  :stink:   I'm waiting for some gourmet to tell us that balsamic vinegar makes a better class of smell  :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

No, really!
You have to get your settled-out enamal tinlet started with a stick of some sort, but onec the "lump" of pigment is mobile, 10 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner gives you beautiffully resuspended paint.  Just like new. :-)
Works for acrylics too.

I’ve wondered that recently now I have got back into more kit work for the layout, some of my older paint has pigment like a cricket ball in spirit.....

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I’ve wondered that recently now I have got back into more kit work for the layout, some of my older paint has pigment like a cricket ball in spirit.....

I've had that phenomenon, in some not all paints of varying manufacturers, I assumed it was because of the heat it is now kept in.

Mike.

5 hours ago, Phatbob said:

No, really!
Works for acrylics too.

Do you just place the tin of paint in the pan with the lid on, or do you add any liquid to the pan? I thought you should only used ultrasonic cleaners with a liquid, but maybe I'm mistaken.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I didn't know they were that cheap!  Spouse had been wondering what to get me Christmas, so this has solved the problem - one has been ordered.  Thanks.

DT

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been impressed with what they can do, they're all a generic make but I looked at a few youtube videos of them working before committing to purchasing one.

This was the machine I picked up, It was listed for about £102 but I tried an offer and we settled on about £95. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6L-Double-frequency-Digital-Stainless-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Machine-Timer-Heater-CE/392927223837?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This was the cleaner I purchased to try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Ultrasonic-PCB-Cleaning-Fluid-and-Flux-Remover-Free-U-K-Postage/221986529977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=520861707842&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

On the coach sides I still wipe over with shiny sinks to flat the brass as the last thing before priming, but that might be more of a habit than a requirement.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2