Coarse Scale New York Central.

Florence Locomotive Works

Now, the full story.

Some may know that I have been working on a Bassett Lowke live steam Stanier mogul for some time now. Long story short, it didn’t work. So, having now because of that been goaded back into O gauge, albeit coarse scale, I looked at my options. 

1. Buy some Bassett Lowke electric several thousand miles away from any spares.

2. Revive your small Lionel coarse scale collection. 

As one can see I chose the latter. 

I have decided to build a “serious 1930s model of a New York Central mainline.” Unfortunately due to various “zoning laws” the layout has to be both an oval, and on the floor. (Apologies for the mess, work in progress)

It will be built along the lines of the Leeds Model Company LNER Hornden layout, with a large “terminus” station in the middle, and the “mainline” surrounding it in an oval. I will probably omit the goods yard though.  

On to motive power and rolling stock.

Currently I have two postwar locomotives, both Lionel, as everything will be. Engine No 1 is at the moment a Pennsylvania Railroad K4 outline 2-6-4. Engine No 2 is a Pennsylvania RR Turbine Engine, which was my uncle’s in New Orleans and he claims to have bought it off a showroom display layout. As for rolling stock, I have an assortment of freight cars (mostly NYC), and a lighted Southern Pacific caboose. Then there’s the boxcar that sings happy birthday...

One may notice that I said currently. And one may also notice that don’t actually have any NYC engines. That is soon to change. A Lionel NYC 4-6-4 “Hudson” (the grey engine below, also pictured with real thing) was recently bought as a Christmas present. Eventually some NYC heavyweight Pullmans will be acquired for it to pull. 

In the photos one will also see a Lionel oil derrick, which does operate, but probably won’t be included in the layout as there aren’t many along the Water Level Route. 

On too signals. Hopefully at least the mainline will be fully signaled, I’m not sure about the terminus yet. At the moment I have a double track signal gantry, but it needs a bit of TLC. 

Douglas

8A1E0D71-9A71-4778-A1AA-2897EA7024DB.jpeg

DF7FACF0-E3AF-4C8A-BCD1-B672EA904B5D.jpeg

5CFB6569-8DE2-4B55-B80F-D2997E94F276.jpeg

F32F37D8-759C-461B-B816-8C054568665B.jpeg

204737CA-DFFC-4FBD-9250-7E6577BBC467.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Pictures needed spacing.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Pennsy engines on the NYC??? :bo_mini: Planning in advance for the Penn Central? :biggrin_mini: PC modeling does have a few advantages as between the three RRs* involved, just about any diesel or electric can be used; at least at the beginning of the PC. Edit: In fact most of them made it into Conrail along with several other roads., Early Conrail trains could come by in a literal rainbow of colors, especially after the power started migrating around. The early Conrail years were wonderful, at least for train watchers!

*1> Pennsylvania

2> New York Central

3> New Haven

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just got my No 252 crossing gate running for the first time in 4-5 years, and sadly the electromagnet (I think) inside of it has weakened and the gate can no longer close without my help. It was already weakened last time it was running, so I’m not surprised. But the light does work, a welcome surprise.

I’m also working on resurrecting the switch leaver pictured below. 

Douglas

0C70CACE-8AE9-42D3-813C-72742CBE61AE.jpeg

8C445D3F-161E-4604-9503-5261BF916DFC.jpeg

1E251B82-1F75-4E29-BF74-AA727E1E14F1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 12/12/2020 at 16:53, rockershovel said:

As a general comment, the MTH coaches are much superior in appearance to the Lionel ones, and not hard to find on eBay. 

I fancy a Lionel oil Derrick for my O27 layout... 

Yes I see that now, I’ll be looking out for a cheap set.

I highly recommend the derrick, they are great things to watch.  

33 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Just remember that, in the period you're modelling, the traditional Lionel track plan for Grand Central Terminal had 2 switches. :unsure:

Is there actually a Lionel track plan for grand central? I would be very interested to see it if so. 

thanks,

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

Douglas: I'm joshing a little.  We used to model New York to Chicago (or London -Edinburgh) with a pair of switches at each end and all the track we had in between. Any resemblance to prototype strictly imaginary.

I do have a track plan for Grand Central. In a book mostly of the track diagrams of the NY subways.

Edited by BR60103
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Douglas: I'm joshing a little.  We used to model New York to Chicago (or London -Edinburgh) with a pair of switches at each end and all the track we had in between. Any resemblance to prototype strictly imaginary.

I do have a track plan for Grand Central. In a book mostly of the track diagrams of the NY subways.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. :D 

I won’t be needing the actual diagram, I don’t think I could handle that many switches, but thank you though. 

Douglas

I always aimed to have the respective termini in separate rooms! The challenge was to get the track connections snug enough, that voltage drop was low enough to maximise how far the loco would travel...

regarding “zoning control issues” I recommend that traditional Lionel feature, the ping pong table. Get a folding one on rubber casters. 9’x5’ is a very handy size for all sorts of scales, and it rolls against the wall when not in use. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I also recommend the K Line Scale Hudson. You see criticism of these as lacking motor power, and the motors are small compared to Lionel or (especially) Williams, but they are quite sufficient for most layouts if my semi-Scale one is any guide. They are much the best detailed, best looking body shell around, and they have complete motion. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Today I decided, well, realized there was an empty lightbulb socket in my switch, so I decided to test it. And was very surprised when I turned the power on and had a nicely glowing bulb. Now I just need to buy a lantern off eBay, as the ones for these were lost before I acquired them.

There are two switches,  one has been “converted” by me for manual only operation, and the other is waiting for a new cord to be soldered onto the lever, and bulbs for the aforementioned lever. 

I also got a few nice shots in the dark, showing my (Marx?) plastic tunnel. 

Onto the important stuff. My transformer seems a bit underpowered. I’m currently using a I believe serviced (7 years ago now) 1033 transformer (90 watts, 115 volts, 60 cycles), and it does get warm quite quickly, and is kind of struggling to power the whole track. There’s also the problem of it only just running my Turbine engine. So I ask of my devoted audience, which one should I invest in? My best guess would be RW transformer, one of which my uncle has, but I’m not sure he’s willing to give it up. He also has a small collection, never uses it though. 

Douglas

96A2BCED-BAAD-4675-A5D0-1ED2690B2640.jpeg

4D08AE32-DEDB-4CFD-820C-DA04D25412C4.jpeg

EFE92BC1-C821-4011-92FA-EBE5982B0EBB.jpeg

I found the following table on O Gauge RR website (if you aren’t already following this, there’s a lot of information there) 

“POWER REQUIREMENTS

The following table lists the power in watts used by various model railroad components:

"027" locomotive - 25 to 35*

"O" locomotive - 30 to 40*

Smoke generator - 5

Operating accessories - 10 to 40

Automatic track signals - 10 to 15

Each 6-volt lamp - 1.5

Each 14-volt lamp (small) - 2

Each 14-volt lamp (large) - 3

Each 18-volt lamp - 5

* These wattages are drawn by locomotives when pulling the regular number of cars and include the power used by the whistle. However, you must add the wattage used by lamps in illuminated cars.”

I have a Lionel KW transformer/controller which works well for trains of this sort, although the usual caveats about old electrical equipment apply. However I also have an MTH Z series controller which wasn’t expensive, is far superior, and runs off a conventional modern transformer, the sort of thing sold for laptops. These are rather in demand right now due to the impending closure of MTH, but it’s worth setting a search on eBay. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just got ye olde signal gantry running for the first time in 5 years. The other lantern was broken off, so I just wired up the forward looking one, which I think looks much better. I didn’t hold to soldered on a new ground wire though, which was mildly frustrating. 

Douglas

D2D0702A-DEF6-49D9-A102-6AC7AACD6CBC.jpeg.a45d1a76bd60d1d6e52ea51031bbe74d.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... Onto the important stuff. My transformer seems a bit underpowered. I’m currently using a I believe serviced (7 years ago now) 1033 transformer (90 watts, 115 volts, 60 cycles), and it does get warm quite quickly, and is kind of struggling to power the whole track. There’s also the problem of it only just running my Turbine engine. So I ask of my devoted audience, which one should I invest in? My best guess would be RW transformer, one of which my uncle has, but I’m not sure he’s willing to give it up. He also has a small collection, never uses it though.

Douglas

I would suggest a KW. It has two variable-voltage circuits that start off at 0 volts, has enough reserve power for anything that you may acquire in the future and is readily available rebuilt for around $100.00 to $150.00. I have one and thoroughly like it. My other suggestion would be an American Flyer 30B; comparable to the KW but with a nicer control handles. I do plan on getting a 30B someday to replace my 16B ( no meters). Look up the 30B and the KW for more details.

• Informative/Useful 1

So, new plan for the station, and layout as a whole.

The layout will now become the, “New York Central Tulsa Division.” This will be the farthest reaching arm of the NYC, and a 1900s extension of the line from St. Louis down to Tulsa (where I live), motivated by the oil boom. 

So a replica of Tulsa union depot needs building out of wood. There’s a photo below showing the rear of the station on Saturday. The lightly colored patch is where the concourse used to extend out and down over the tracks. This will also be modeled. 

A few things won’t be included: The four track mainline, this will be two. The bridges across the mainline. General scenery. 

The station and possibly Railway Express Agency building will be made though. 

Said Agency’s building was originally just to the left of the station, and would have been just out of shot in the photo below. (The station is the concrete structure in front  of the glass edifice). 

16FB3E3F-DC17-4F13-BE46-EEF79E7FB89C.jpeg.fe3f78c42986755be989460d1be8492b.jpeg
As you see below, a semblance of a double track mainline has been built already. 

57075A1B-5C0E-4C9C-853E-CDC883820431.jpeg.3a401b835d18af532086dcfc45573bbd.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 5

A vague mockup of the station has been completed. It has been made from various old wooden building blocks I had lying around, which will either be used in the actual structure or may be replaced with square offcuts of more desirable length.

6B45B392-5F42-4B8A-8826-4A76D3A6C4BC.jpeg.e8dae58e5605a81ad75ccd46c914a7c3.jpeg*

As one can see, it has a fairly decent likeness to the building, and this was the early more inaccurate mock-up, which is since been made too “scale.”

7F03089B-C2DB-4113-9913-EE3FAFE3E86B.jpeg.c62591b73c4ad9004fa8257d18c5f179.jpeg

(Photo credit)

The station is flanked on both side by road bridges, the one on the left in the above photo has been rebuilt to modern standards, while the other is now pedestrian bridge, and a prime trainspotting location. These may or maybe not be included in the final structure. 

*For the sake of entertainment, we’ll also have to imagine the Pennsy had trackage rights to Tulsa. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As an Ashtabula, Ohio native, I congratulate you on realizing the obvious superiority of the NYC over the PRR. 

Mohawks and H10s and K5s oh my!

On 14/12/2020 at 14:51, J. S. Bach said:

I would suggest a KW. It has two variable-voltage circuits that start off at 0 volts, has enough reserve power for anything that you may acquire in the future and is readily available rebuilt for around $100.00 to $150.00. I have one and thoroughly like it. My other suggestion would be an American Flyer 30B; comparable to the KW but with a nicer control handles. I do plan on getting a 30B someday to replace my 16B ( no meters). Look up the 30B and the KW for more details.

Would a LW (125 watts) be sufficient for what I will be running? The KW seems a bit overkill for a large oval, with only one accessory. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Would a LW (125 watts) be sufficient for what I will be running? The KW seems a bit overkill for a large oval, with only one accessory. 

The KW also has separate terminals for constant voltage supply for accessories, which are useful to have. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

You plan NO future expansion?? :o The LW is a nice little transformer (I have one) but I was thinking that you will want to expand, get some lighted passenger cars, stuff like that. Al of that adds to the total load.