Coarse Scale New York Central.

Florence Locomotive Works

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

You plan NO future expansion?? :o The LW is a nice little transformer (I have one) but I was thinking that you will want to expand, get some lighted passenger cars, stuff like that. Al of that adds to the total load.

It depends on what one calls expansion. In terms of operating accessories, no, except maybe for a bascule bridge, but that’s a maybe. If we’re taking layout expansion, it’s highly unlikely, except for a probably isolated and unpowered interior yard. Lighted passenger cars? Probably not, as the flickering over the switches drives me nuts. 

A few questions about the KW though. What does the center red handle do? On my 1033 a object of the same molding controls the whistle/direction, but I thought the KW had buttons for that. Is it safe to buy an “unrebuilt” or “unrefurbished” etc version? I think I could afford a used one.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

It depends on what one calls expansion. In terms of operating accessories, no, except maybe for a bascule bridge, but that’s a maybe. If we’re taking layout expansion, it’s highly unlikely, except for a probably isolated and unpowered interior yard. Lighted passenger cars? Probably not, as the flickering over the switches drives me nuts. 

A few questions about the KW though. What does the center red handle do? On my 1033 a object of the same molding controls the whistle/direction, but I thought the KW had buttons for that. Is it safe to buy an “unrebuilt” or “unrefurbished” etc version? I think I could afford a used one.

Douglas

The flickering can be easily eliminated by connecting a jumper between each of the cars' power pickups, possibly attached to one of the light sockets center pins.

it is the whistle control, one direction sounds the right side train, the other direction the left side train. Unless you (or your Dad) are very confident of your electrical repair capabilities, I would go for a refurbished one. Besides, if you get an un-rebuilt one, you will (should) rebuild it anyway (see previous statement) and the cost of the parts plus the cost of the KW may end up-being more costly than a refurb!  I just looked in that famous on-line auction house and only saw one or two that I would take chance on (not base on price, btw).

BTW, the above also applies to the American Flyer 30B (in fact any used transformer) should you go that route.

Let me do a little research, I know a reliable re-builder; I was tempted to send mine to him but the cost of shipping and his labor would be more than just buying a re-built on from him. Any info will come to you in a PM.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

The flickering can be easily eliminated by connecting a jumper between each of the cars' power pickups, possibly attached to one of the light sockets center pins.

it is the whistle control, one direction sounds the right side train, the other direction the left side train. Unless you (or your Dad) are very confident of your electrical repair capabilities, I would go for a refurbished one. Besides, if you get an un-rebuilt one, you will (should) rebuild it anyway (see previous statement) and the cost of the parts plus the cost of the KW may end up-being more costly than a refurb!  I just looked in that famous on-line auction house and only saw one or two that I would take chance on (not base on price, btw).

BTW, the above also applies to the American Flyer 30B (in fact any used transformer) should you go that route.

Thanks Dave,

Would this one be safe to take a chance on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123910111450

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Thanks Dave,

Would this one be safe to take a chance on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123910111450

Hard to say, it is clean but that really means nothing. Let me check on the person that I was thinking about. I just need to find his website. Note, I just found it and am sending the link to yo in a PM.

• Thanks 1

The update, as promised. 

71CBD2B4-BE90-42C9-882B-E95C4443189D.jpeg.af81755e682bd0bdaadd833130ce3f16.jpeg

As one can see above, there are now no longer the familiar blue blankets, but now wood floor. This was done to stop cat litter buildup. 

A new plan has also been devised for Tulsa Union Depot. I have decided that I will only be constructing the concourse extension, which will be made from the materials seen above, painted, and then weathered. This will probably be the only piece of “scenery” (besides signals) on the layout, which will now be operated along the lines of that owned by the late great Robert J. Foster.* 

Some rather underlengh platforms have also been added, which will be staying and forming a base for concourse. 

23E173DD-CC54-458E-A5DF-B482638DF011.jpeg.abbe465d317e6f23ddfd2db8bce774a0.jpeg

“Here we have a nice trackside shot of a  PRR K4 with a fast fright.”

This image, had it been real, would have been taken from the (if my memory is correct) Tulsa Paper Co building, now fancy apartments. Same building though, and you can just make out the sign on the side. 

Speaking of real locations, there will be a large post on that coming up soon. 

*Robert J. Foster had a very large non scenic indoor layout during the 1930s, and was “famous” for his modified Lionel 763e and 700e Hudsons. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Informative/Useful 1

Right, the real locations episode.

Our first few show the proud building that was Tulsa Union Depot. It is now the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame.

253759EF-6FD7-433D-B262-912F491C2519.jpeg.765220e3a14379c34a531c1a4d1b725f.jpeg

These were taken last night, since I suggested “we look at Christmas lights.” Above we see the former station from the street, where the main entrance is. 

1B1521B1-BD8B-40C3-B502-6600ED30E429.jpeg.1a28caa9d1ea26617a63c770c4605e13.jpeg

This photo is taken from the west overpass, looking down on where the platforms and concourse extension used to be. The concourse was originally where the lights in the arched window are. 

E3ECB0B6-9E76-4AC7-AB7F-E4ED72F32D8F.jpeg.e767acea568c7cead69a0bb76dbe8e01.jpeg

A similar shot.

And now the other half, prototype. 

34D0CDF6-591A-4AE5-BF9F-B08941579456.jpeg.9417270256c9d4968229b8a6ee172d43.jpeg

Above: This is Frisco 4500, a 4-8-4 and one of Tulsa’s two static display locos. She was rescued about 10 years ago from a junkyard in Bristow OK IRC, and has been cosmetically restored and placed in the still under construction Route 66 Village. 

114C84A9-8D00-4D01-9BD9-D95951405242.jpeg.115b5a7605eb8a2f37d7d4440562b5dd.jpeg

Above: Looking North along the engine to the ex Frisco now BNSF hump yard. 

9EF0A5DC-3551-4E41-B884-FD78964F386B.jpeg.0aa5ac6d8b1ee05384144606d39781e8.jpeg

Above: Looking south across the motion. Funny thing, she’s still set in reverse gear. 

AD994636-6B1E-4BD5-9E82-8614A0EA52AA.jpeg.551a3d84fec7aad1125b7b0a80630ab5.jpeg

Above: 4500 isn’t alone here, theres also this former Tulsa Sapulpa Union Railway Pullman, which is occasionally opened up. 

604480D7-637C-48E5-AED5-27B06513096F.jpeg.7bfead963123f21692ed006dc2ba5f0d.jpeg

Above: Behind the Pullman is this tanker, painted with logos of four major former and present oil company’s in Tulsa. 

390171F5-92C2-4F0A-9956-99A49569E8F0.jpeg.6d4a18af07ca8bbcb49afc4f9b89a410.jpeg

Above: At the end of the train is this Frisco caboose, which is actually a wooden boxcar converted by the Frisco into a caboose. It serves hot chocolate (or cocoa) sometimes. 

09DC8D01-7026-40D8-85C3-E8E3636CFF10.jpeg.c35ef806b378bff6d864df57d85d55dd.jpeg

Above: A BNSF freight sitting waiting for the green light to go up over the hump. At least I think. This is just behind the caboose.

These photos were taken about 90 minutes ago, after we came back from a small hike.

Douglas

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2020 at 00:23, rockershovel said:

the silver tank car with Sunoco and Gulf logos is the nearest thing I've seen to a prototype for the iconic Lionel one!

The Lionel tanker is a proper 1/48 O scale; many have been two-railed. Oddly, L offered them in one, two, and three dome versions, usually with either Gulf or Sunoco logos depending on when it was produced. I had picked up a re-painted two-dome one for conversion; it has the slider-shoe activated automatic couplers, I paid a whopping $5.00 for it. I just could not pass it up.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

The Lionel tanker is a proper 1/48 O scale; many have been two-railed. Oddly, L offered them in one, two, and three dome versions, usually with either Gulf or Sunoco logos depending on when it was produced. I had picked up a re-painted two-dome one for conversion; it has the slider-shoe activated automatic couplers, I paid a whopping $5.00 for it. I just could not pass it up.

I have five altogether, four are single-dome Sunoco ones fitted with a mixed bag of hot-shoe, coil couplers and the armature plate couplers, the fifth is a more recent K Line two-dome one in Monon colours. Comparing them with San Juan Car Co units, the tanks are accurately sized for the 8000 gallon units find on US railroads at the time 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Your post reminded me of an American Flyer S tanker that Dad brought home after Christmas (I got most of my Christmas trains about a week or so after the holiday as Dad worked at Sears and they were customer returns that Lionel& Flyer would not take back.). He took one of the three white milk cars and removed the chassis and trucks and installed the AF tank on it. It closely resembled the 5,000 gallon (or less) chemical tankers then in service. I guess that made Dad an early kit-basher! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So, the big news.

The engine is here.

Mostly.

Unfortunately during transit the engine was dropped on its front end,  causing the entire 10.2 pound mass to come crashing down on the cowcatcher, more or less completely destroying it. This also ripped a contact roller out of its bracket. 

I also discovered after 10 minutes running that the port side return crank had come out of it hole, so this was locitited back in place. 

However, the engine does run quite well now, after copious oiling and more grease being added to the driving wheel axelboxes. I have also fixed the contact roller, and am awaiting a replacement cowcatcher.

7169AC5D-1BD9-4696-AA60-8BF88984170D.jpeg.c0e3a136de2ea3bb6f8934296030d92e.jpeg

A scale front bogie from the Lionel Vision Line 700e is also due to be purchased, as is a still in box Lionel RW 110 watt transformer. 

B0412678-5476-4CC9-8D2E-BC1B332E568E.jpeg.16740a9b163ed4954c9bad080d898bb6.jpeg

At the moment the engine is pulling a fast freight, as I that’s all the American O scale stock I have, but I do have ambitions to acquire some Walther’s or All Nation kits for some scale NYC Heavyweights.

011EE85E-0A8C-4CF9-ADD3-706E5646B791.jpeg.aafd36eced9417848b0936508c4d1935.jpeg

011713DD-68AE-4323-834A-88703ECF429B.jpeg.fe2789ba73cd7c0c4ebfa42fe04a68b7.jpeg

Here we have a video, with a cameo by Fangio the cat. 

Douglas

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Note: over on OGR there are currently several threads about broken off pilots. One suggestion mooted was using JB Weld for the repair after cleaning off all of the paint in the affected area. Just a thought.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Note: over on OGR there are currently several threads about broken off pilots. One suggestion mooted was using JB Weld for the repair after cleaning off all of the paint in the affected area. Just a thought.

... this being, of course, the main reason that the great majority of Lionel locos had solid pilots! 

Your photos show clearly why Lionel fit the tiny front wheels - so the front truck will swing under the crossheads and slide bars, for clearance on tight curves. 

One thing I don’t really understand is why there isn’t a commonly available, 3D printed replacement pilot for Lionel locos. They were manufactured for decades with high levels of interchangeability. 

I’d suggest setting a search on eBay for a loco body, or loco for spares and repair. I’d also suggest the front truck from a large MTH loco; MTH seemed to manage to build locos with much better looking front wheels than Lionel.  

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

... this being, of course, the main reason that the great majority of Lionel locos had solid pilots! 

Your photos show clearly why Lionel fit the tiny front wheels - so the front truck will swing under the crossheads and slide bars, for clearance on tight curves. 

One thing I don’t really understand is why there isn’t a commonly available, 3D printed replacement pilot for Lionel locos. They were manufactured for decades with high levels of interchangeability. 

I’d suggest setting a search on eBay for a loco body, or loco for spares and repair. I’d also suggest the front truck from a large MTH loco; MTH seemed to manage to build locos with much better looking front wheels than Lionel.  

Well I already went ahead and bot a front truck from a Vision Line 700e, and I’m looking at a cowcatcher from a 763e. 

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well I already went ahead and bot a front truck from a Vision Line 700e, and I’m looking at a cowcatcher from a 763e. 

Look forward to your experience with interest! 

One thing that does emerge, if you spend long enough reading OGRR is that there are at least three separate versions of 700e - the original, the 1990s version and the modern version. They are related, but not the same. My best reading of the various threads is that the modern, and 1990s versions are the same castings and running gear, with differing paint and electronics... but it’s hard to be sure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, maybe it should be lettered "LMS" or "GWR"? Just add buffers! :yahoo_mini:

LNER would be more suitable, they were the only railway in Britain to have a 4-6-4 tender, (Others had 4-6-4 tanks) the experimental Yarrow Boilered W1. I believe it was actually designed in cooperation with ALCO or Baldwin, and had a marine style Yarrow boiler. To top it off it was painted just a shade darker than NYC gray.

Photo source and more info. (well worth a read)

https://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php

4373D82D-5DA4-4B6B-9901-492D6D795CF0.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Look forward to your experience with interest! 

One thing that does emerge, if you spend long enough reading OGRR is that there are at least three separate versions of 700e - the original, the 1990s version and the modern version. They are related, but not the same. My best reading of the various threads is that the modern, and 1990s versions are the same castings and running gear, with differing paint and electronics... but it’s hard to be sure. 

I suppose if it doesn’t fit, then I’ll have to make some new “truck hangers” from Meccano, or at least that’s the back up plan. 

I think this bogie is from the 90s version, as it has the semi plated (or just shiny?) wheels. 

26 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I suppose if it doesn’t fit, then I’ll have to make some new “truck hangers” from Meccano, or at least that’s the back up plan. 

I think this bogie is from the 90s version, as it has the semi plated (or just shiny?) wheels. 

it's not hard to change the wheels, if the axle diameter if the same. Measure the back to back with a caliper gauge. Press them off using the open jaws of a small vice, a small hammer and a pin punch. Press the other wheels on the same way. Set the back to back by comparison using the caliper gauge (you get away with a lot, on tubular track)

• Informative/Useful 1