Model Rail Issue 281 Extra Info

Dzine

My layout design in this issue was for a small goods yard that once existed near Kings Cross Station, focusing on a pair of nearby mitred goods platforms,  each one similar to Peco's LK 82.  For speed I bought mine from Ebay and whilst they had a few rough edges they were perfect to use as a proving ground for the idea rather than a quality finished model.  That said, I hope you find the the structure  interesting and unusual in appearance and a great way to make your layout different from everyone else.  

Like all my work, I am guilty of providing more info than page space permits, indeed I often reduce material before sending it for editorial treatment such is the way I work.  It occurred to me that unpublished 'Extra' bits might have an interest to readers  and therefore when space and time permits I hope to include such items here.   I want to start by signposting you to two previous post, from some while ago;

Main posting by slipstream, Gasworks Tunnels Kings X, a signalling plan in response by The Stationmaster  February 23rd 2014

Posting by Pete 75C, King Cross York Road & Suburban Platforms, a track plan  in response by Clive Mortimore, 15th January 2018

Have also attached several images.

Regards Paul

60047 at King's Cross (2).jpg

20200616_093845.jpg

MSGY w.jpg

Edited by Dzine
upside down photos
  • Like 3

Hi Folks,  In the prototype photo some of the yard buildings are immediately behind the loco tender and you can just get a glimpse of the mitered goods sheds between loco tender and the Class 20, Photo courtesy Peter Salmon.  Kind regards Paul

Edited by Dzine
Updated info and remove text on upside down photo's

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Dzine said:

Posting by Pete 75C, King Cross York Road & Suburban Platforms, a track plan  in response by Clive Mortimore, 15th January 2018

Anybody have any news of Pete 75C? I have not seen any posts from him for a while. Hope he's OK.

• Agree 1

• Dzine changed the title to Model Rail Issue 281 Extra Info

Hi Folks, One of my railway friends, Peter Salmon, advised me of a Channel 5 (My5) programme, KIngs Cross Then and Now, screened this weekend, which contains  the following;

One shot early on, showing an end loading ramp and that goods shed roofs had been covered in box section corrugated sheet.  The shot, in a slightly more lengthy scene, is repeated around the 30/35 minute mark.  Unfortunately, these are the only two clips and, in true TV style, makes a glaring mistake.  Much of the historical goods sequences refer to the main goods shed, further out from the station, and not the subject of my article, which describes a much smaller facility alongside the station itself.  However, it does give an historical feel of period, particularly working conditions, customers and trade and so on.  The relevant images are in colour and therefore really helpful for scenic treatment and weathering.

Edited by Dzine
typo