Post Office K6 Telephone Box

SP Steve

My layout plans dictated a requirement for a telephone box so I've had a go at the Shire Scenes etched brass kit (S45) which builds into the iconic K6 variant. I decided to solder up the components but for anyone attempting the same then it's important to clean the brass to get rid of the applied lacquer coating. The main body is a four sided etch with two tabs holding each side apart which means when folded up you have a very long gap at each corner. To get around this I made each fold one at a time then used pieces of 0.45mm brass wire as infill before filing them down. The door is a separate component but I'll need to glaze the box before finally fitting it into place.

The roof box comprises of a central square with a large hole in it surrounded by four curved sides which fold up - the large hole is for installing an LED should one wish to illuminate the interior but it then makes it impossible to solder the base and roof together from inside so I filed the hole away. The other issue when joining the two is that the roof section fits telescopically into the base but doesn't not have any means of setting it to the required depth so it can slide out of position very easily.

The box roof is a white metal casting but getting it to sit without gaps underneath was impossible so I elected to form one from brass sheet and this was much easier in avoiding unsightly gaps.

The etch has some small parts for folding up into the shelves and a printed set of back panels which carry various framed notices - as supplied they are more relevant for a 1940, / 50s style handset so out came the plasticard to knock up a rendition of a K6 interior more relevant to the early 1960s.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 minutes ago, uk_pm said:

What scale is this?  It is a wonderful piece of modelling whatever scale it is.  I had forgotten about the 'phone books/yellow pages.  Terrific work.

It's 4mm scale but sometimes I wish I model in 7mm....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2020 at 19:33, SP Steve said:

My layout plans dictated a requirement for a telephone box so I've had a go at the Shire Scenes etched brass kit (S45) which builds into the iconic K6 variant. I decided to solder up the components but for anyone attempting the same then it's important to clean the brass to get rid of the applied lacquer coating. The main body is a four sided etch with two tabs holding each side apart which means when folded up you have a very long gap at each corner. To get around this I made each fold one at a time then used pieces of 0.45mm brass wire as infill before filing them down. The door is a separate component but I'll need to glaze the box before finally fitting it into place.

The roof box comprises of a central square with a large hole in it surrounded by four curved sides which fold up - the large hole is for installing an LED should one wish to illuminate the interior but it then makes it impossible to solder the base and roof together from inside so I filed the hole away. The other issue when joining the two is that the roof section fits telescopically into the base but doesn't not have any means of setting it to the required depth so it can slide out of position very easily.

The box roof is a white metal casting but getting it to sit without gaps underneath was impossible so I elected to form one from brass sheet and this was much easier in avoiding unsightly gaps.

The etch has some small parts for folding up into the shelves and a printed set of back panels which carry various framed notices - as supplied they are more relevant for a 1940, / 50s style handset so out came the plasticard to knock up a rendition of a K6 interior more relevant to the early 1960s.

20201212_185046.jpg.d96d05f406a0cc9639e91b7d36af055f.jpg

20201212_184924.jpg.02469c5b434d23e079bffa8c4cd839dc.jpg

20201212_184959.jpg.ee94a66ea739bc19fbebcbf2fc75cf8e.jpg

Where is the absolutely staggeringly awesome button when you need it? Mind boggling amount of detail there. I just hope that you haven't gone to the trouble of recreating the smell inside as well.