Most model shops in one town/city

ianmacc

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2020 at 00:53, RichardT said:

The old C&G Models (?) on Parkgate in Darlington is now carved up into offices & small shops.  Luckily (in normal times) there are six trains an hour from Darlo Bank Top to York, taking 25/30 mins, so I can still get to Monk Bar Models quickly.

I used to go to C & G Models in the 90s. If I remember correctly, Cliff was the chap that was usually working there. Nice fella.

Now I'm back in the hobby (N rather than OO now), Monk Bar is my retailer of choice. Great shop and nice bunch of guys. Combining a few model purchases with the many real ale pubs in York, it makes for a fine day out.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 10:22, CKPR said:

Carlisle must be a contender for the most model shops in a fairly small city over the the years. From the late 1960s onwards, I can recall:

- Woolworths and Binns department store selling model kits and Triang-Hornby respectively

- a shop on the now demolished West Walls that sold models and electrical goods [Peters ?]

- a model and toy shop by the now demolished old bus station - in the  early 1970s, it had Triang-Hornby display layout in a glass case. This shop eventually became a branch of Beatties and went the same way as the rest of the chain.

- a model shop in now demolished  Lanes [can you see a pattern here ?!] - Boot Lane or Globe Lane- that sold model kits

- Palace Cycles on Botchergate

-The Clydesdale also on Botchergate that sold models and records

- The Military Room in two locations.

- A branch of Keith O'Laughlins from Kendal who sold Airfix/GMR and Palitoy/Mainline in the late 1970s-early 1980s.

- A very short lived model railway and bookshop shop on the crescent opposite Carlisle Citadel station

- C&M Models, now the only model shop left in the city.

I think you missed this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/XDKn1QZMuvsaHPDi8

The website is Atkinsons of Windermere which are still in business.

https://goo.gl/maps/GF3ZjxvQ8WFDAQZg7

I bought some stuff there in the 2000's (It's now a "Savers")

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

On 13/12/2020 at 01:08, Fishoutofwater said:

There is also Pufferwillies-Sheffield Transport Models

There was also Tag models for a while and I think there was also one in Meadowhall