Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

11 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Class 24s were allocated to the Southern Region between 1959 and 1962. Certainly to be found at Faversham shed 73E - right at the end of its life. Hither Green definitely had an allocation. So that probably explains it.

But the SR ones were the low-numbered D50xx headcodeless variety I thought

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Loved looking through your photo's Steve. I could mirror your story, being born a year later around the age of 13-14 my Dad had a Rail Rover card ( I think) and that allowed me to get almost anywhere in the south east for a quid. I think it went as far as Weymouth in the south and Kettering in the north. I spent many a Saturday going to such far flung places and taking photo's. Living in Romford I spent a lot of time at Liverpool St and Stratford. I really regret having to get rid of them all when I moved out of my parents around the early 90's and that's where I lost my interest in railways for a while. I'd love to have my photo's now to look back on but never mind. 

Thanks for sharing your pics, they brought back a few memories.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Post Office Building

A once everyday scene 

The post office building at Bristol Temple Meads. The backdrop to a couple of locos heading in or out of Bath Road. 

1119170796_IMG_20201218_1246402.jpg.ea4e085de94cd98a5664aeae7c067eaf.jpg

1683180706_IMG_20201218_1255282.jpg.b6b7b3f9d82967a144ed3e79235c36c8.jpg

Christmas 1974 would find me working (and looking out of the window) in the building that forms the background to the photo of the Class 50. My 'frame' would have been directly behind the top of that tree.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Loved looking through your photo's Steve. I could mirror your story, being born a year later around the age of 13-14 my Dad had a Rail Rover card ( I think) and that allowed me to get almost anywhere in the south east for a quid. I think it went as far as Weymouth in the south and Kettering in the north. I spent many a Saturday going to such far flung places and taking photo's. Living in Romford I spent a lot of time at Liverpool St and Stratford. I really regret having to get rid of them all when I moved out of my parents around the early 90's and that's where I lost my interest in railways for a while. I'd love to have my photo's now to look back on but never mind. 

I have plenty more from those days and the places you went to Steve. I will keep posting the memories.

Here is classic Stratford on a Saturday for you.

2138718900_IMG_20201218_0943502.jpg.ee58caf8cbcf1243ed1c496f38a80a6b.jpg

• Like 17

On 24/12/2020 at 11:43, sb67 said:

I grew up to n Kettering and went to far flung places such as Eastleigh, Birmingham, London, Edinburgh,Cardiff and Bristol.

i wish I had more photos than the few I have

• Like 2

On 15/12/2020 at 10:20, SouthernBlue80s said:

Who remembers...walking down Old Oak Common Lane and then the first sight being an array of locos around the turntable.

I had a go on the Old Oak turntable getting a 47 off shed. A lightly surreal experience (we didn't get to Old Oak much).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

The 50 is 50013. Any ideas on the identity of the class 47?

It’s 47486, identified by the headcode box type, grey roof and cab end damage pattern. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Thanks. It's great from my perspective to put some numbers to the locos.

You’re welcome. I’m currently stuck in a country I don’t want to be in, unable to get to the one I do want to be in, so I have time on my hands and I like a challenge. Out of interest, did you have a date for the New Street pictures? My guess would be late 1984 to early 1985. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 26/12/2020 at 17:17, Western Aviator said:

You’re welcome. I’m currently stuck in a country I don’t want to be in, unable to get to the one I do want to be in, so I have time on my hands and I like a challenge. Out of interest, did you have a date for the New Street pictures? My guess would be late 1984 to early 1985. 

I do not have an exact date. But you are spot on with the approximate timeline.

Yeh it has been a pretty rough year.  It's a right s**t sh*w for many of us. You are not alone and have my every sympathy.

Cheers Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Here is a mystery 47 for you.

Later in the 1980s at Bristol Temple Meads. I guess 1988 - 1990?

Work is being done on the roof.

163375963_IMG_20201218_1241012.jpg.50df2084bd497d0315b395c339199c78.jpg

I think the roof repairs would date the photo to 1990.

At the time I was working in the Bristol Area Freight Centre located in the Bristol Panel building out of shot to the right,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1