Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I’m no expert, but doesn’t that pair of headboard clips put it in the high 100s to low 200s?

Somewhere in that area, yes. Add that cut away buffer beam still with round buffers narrows it down a bit more, usually changed to oval buffers, but then they could be different configurations at each end.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/01/2021 at 19:12, brushman47544 said:

Dominos, frost grills and cut away buffer beam... not that common a combination as far as I recall.

The position of the lamp brackets rules out a lot more.

The dominos are slightly squint, 37184 was like that for a while, but I can't find it with the buffer beam alteration,

37208 is another possibility, both were occasional plough wearers.

cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A superb set of photos. I've only scanned through as missed this thread and need more time to study, so will revisit.

I was not able to travel extensively on the rail network in the 80's as our local train service was pretty limited, with an hours journey before getting anywhere interesting.

It's a real shame that now we have easy and good quality means of taking photographs (digital SLRs etc) with almost unlimited storage, there is little of interest to photograph!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Plenty more to come.

That bank at Tinsley.

Not particularly good photographs. More for the memories. Cold late afternoon winter sun. A long way from home having caught the bus from Sheffield station. 

No doubt with one of those plastic sports bags, flairs and a bad haircut. 

256353673_IMG_20201215_1110272.jpg.efa2a2cf5974b37740d5d4cfefe72d91.jpg

835979492_IMG_20201215_1110172.jpg.9d092bc816c42b8c2643a0b5579cdec5.jpg

24970517_IMG_20201215_1110102.jpg.5921505a7a1b70a6e160b6869b3a16f1.jpg

Good memories. 

Get off the bus at the Three Magpies, the fare was very cheap, 10p as I recall. Although I went a couple of times I never took any photos,

cheers

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

Good memories. 

Get off the bus at the Three Magpies, the fare was very cheap, 10p as I recall. Although I went a couple of times I never took any photos,

cheers

Well according to this Kevin 

1696634208_IMG_20201215_1235042.jpg.73c3056c15d423578f9854169aa672fc.jpg

.....we took the no 24..... walk up Brinsworth road towards the motorway the entrance was on the right.  I seem to remember the walk being a long one but my memory might be playing tricks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

We thought we'd been carried past 'Brinsworth, Three Magpies', we were on the bus so long.

When we asked for that stop (in a southern accent) the driver said “Trainspotting? I’ll let you know where to get off”

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 4

Strange to think I'm now living less than a 4-mile walk to Tinsley yards, and hardly ever go there.

If you're visiting by bus today, the A1 bus from Sheffield or Meadowhall goes right over the bridge across what remains of the yards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Strange to think I'm now living less than a 4-mile walk to Tinsley yards, and hardly ever go there.

If you're visiting by bus today, the A1 bus from Sheffield or Meadowhall goes right over the bridge across what remains of the yards.

I will never go back, I will keep my memories. Out of interest, is the depot now waste land, or was something built on it?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I will never go back, I will keep my memories. Out of interest, is the depot now waste land, or was something built on it?

There's a lot of wasteland plus a newish warehouse (rail connected but not used by rail), some infill I think. I don't actually remember it from my one and only visit in its heyday.

There's recent pics on RMWeb here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82146-tinsley-servicing-shed/page/2/

or google maps streetview here:

https://goo.gl/maps/JbYWJE4j5ipwMeYz6

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2021 at 19:12, brushman47544 said:

Dominos, frost grills and cut away buffer beam... not that common a combination as far as I recall.

Fairly certain that's 37208,there's a couple of shots on flickr,which for some reason I can't attach,showing the sheep by the frost grill in the same place.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Stretch37266 said:

Fairly certain that's 37208,there's a couple of shots on flickr,which for some reason I can't attach,showing the sheep by the frost grill in the same place.

I think you have it.

Here is 37208 at Severn Tunnel Junction in 1985.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47500cdb/7514892472/in/photolist-eiKWuJ-bu27s5-pur9LB-pur9gP-puHs56-9kTvEn-pddirx-pur9Q4-puFJ5d-2ejRrqR-2iJXhHo-pde7xA-nKMBnG-cb9TEq-cs4MHA-darAbJ-6FH6Qx-deChN6-dhzDTB-deCeBW-cKMKK9-dEPJju-dEinSn-dE23Ec-dHnTV4-dM6pEV-dEoHU7

cheers

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Good detective work both of you. I really want to model that loco now.

• Like 1