Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

On 08/03/2021 at 21:24, SouthernBlue80s said:

So they are the same ploughs that were there in the 80s I presume?

I have just found this picture of Peterborough with a plough to the side of the station.

491715610_IMG_20201217_1251302.jpg.9a053f69e1649a09c0f989552419c128.jpg

That plough is about where I park my van now!

• Like 2

On 08/03/2021 at 21:28, Nearholmer said:

Peterborough station must have been deeply unmemorable then (maybe it still is!), because I went there a few times en-route to the Nene Valley Railway, and can't remember a thing about the place!

The best bit was the smell of the bakery 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/03/2021 at 20:52, Grizz said:

Finally at the end of the training he got someone to light up a tray of diesel using a big heap of old rags and then once it was really burning up, from a safe distance got us to spray it with water. The fire ball went way up in the air and the smoke was incredible, before finally he put it out with foam. 

In Scotland fire training courses were held at the now-gone Rutherglen Training School. On one occasion the demonstration got out of hand and the Fire Brigade had to be called, much to the embarassment of the BR Fire Officer (who IIRC was an ex-Fireman - not the railway type !)

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, caradoc said:

In Scotland fire training courses were held at the now-gone Rutherglen Training School. On one occasion the demonstration got out of hand and the Fire Brigade had to be called, much to the embarassment of the BR Fire Officer (who IIRC was an ex-Fireman - not the railway type !)

I am not surprised, given some of fire training tales that have surfaced in the last few posts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ess1uk said:

The best bit was the smell of the bakery 

Presume you mean the building on the Down side to the north of the C&W, which I believe was a bakery, mainly serving the hospital, but also had a commercial output. It closed long ago.

Peterborough station's historical past was lost in the early 70's, bar the GN Hotel, but its newer guise has always been functional, even more so now. It may not be memorable, but it was the fourth busiest station on the ECML when I was there, after Kings Cross, Leeds and Newcastle (not sure where to place Edinburgh!). It may still be, for all I know. Made York, for all its aesthetic and operations pleasures, look like a wayside halt.

Edited by Mike Storey
speling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Presume you mean the building on the Down side to the north of the C&W, which I believe was a bakery, mainly serving the hospital, but also had a commercial output. It closed long ago.

Peterborough station's historical past was lost in the early 70's, bar the GN Hotel, but its newer guise has always been functional, even more so now. It may not be memorable, but it was the fourth busiest station on the ECML when I was there, after Kings Cross, Leeds and Newcastle (not sure where to place Edinburgh!). It may still be, for all I know. Made York, for all its aesthetic and operations pleasures, look like a wayside halt.

Not quite, Mike. I worked for quite some time in the "Engineer's Yard" just north of the station. All the buildings there were original including the 2 story "temporary building" that was only single skin brick because it wasn't built to last.

Cubitt House opposite the Engineer's Yard and behind the PSB used to be one of the first buildings to house a mainframe computer, there was even a room to contain the capacitors needed for power factor correction. When these were removed following the decommissioning, the room was taken over to house the dual voltage standby diesel generator and associated switchgear when MAS was installed. 

History does not end with the GNR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Not surprised. Electrification of the GN suburban services, whilst main line trains remained diesel and at existing frequencies, made Peterborough a big catchment area for commuters to London, including those who wanted to move further out without increasing journey times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Rathbones bakery and the Dairy Crest site next to each other on Midland Road Backing onto the railway. Rathbones bought by Morrison’s supermarket in 2005 and the site closed.:offtopic:

sorry for the hijack Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Not surprised. Electrification of the GN suburban services, whilst main line trains remained diesel and at existing frequencies, made Peterborough a big catchment area for commuters to London, including those who wanted to move further out without increasing journey times.

Kind of, but it was the advent of the HST calls at Peterborough that set off the huge increase in commuters. The Outer Suburban electrification to Peterborough created some extra capacity but few used it from there, until differential pricing was brought in, which made them cheaper to use - as I did when I moved back to Peterborough, but did not work for the railways directly, so had to pay for my travel by then. But I soon reverted to using the GNER services, to save me an hour a day, which was worth the extra grand a year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 96701 said:

Not quite, Mike. I worked for quite some time in the "Engineer's Yard" just north of the station. All the buildings there were original including the 2 story "temporary building" that was only single skin brick because it wasn't built to last.

Cubitt House opposite the Engineer's Yard and behind the PSB used to be one of the first buildings to house a mainframe computer, there was even a room to contain the capacitors needed for power factor correction. When these were removed following the decommissioning, the room was taken over to house the dual voltage standby diesel generator and associated switchgear when MAS was installed. 

History does not end with the GNR.

Well, I did say station. You could also add the two yard (signal) boxes and the old traincrew building, all GN.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 21:34, Dagworth said:

Peterborough was the destination for many of our days out when I was a teenager growing up in Stowmarket. It was the furthest we could get with an Anglia Ranger ticket so a lot of the day would be spent back and forth between March and Peterborough, usually with a wander around to the depot at March. Out and back were always the European although the evening would be extended by going up to Ipswich. My first 58s were on the Flettons. 
The photos bring back great memories. 

Andi

Ah yes, that brings back a memory. The Anglia Ranger weekly tickets were brilliant.  In my teens I was based in Norwich for a couple of weeks every summer staying with Granny. 

But there was another weekly ticket (not all of the Eastern Region) that covered all of East Anglia, including Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street lines.  Was it called East Anglian Rover?  I just can't remember.  Anyway the beauty of that one was that it also allowed travel Peterborough - KX direct (no intermediate stations).  It was on those tickets I sampled my first ever Deltic haulage with brand new Mk2d a/c stock.

Those were the days!

(Sorry for going OT)

• Like 3

She even got to write the numbers down for me on a couple of occasions....poor lass.

I used to head down to Godfrey Road in Newport for 10 minutes on a Sunday morning. However unfortunately I don't seem to have taken any pictures.

I guess I had seen every Welsh 37 by that stage and was just going through the motions.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Carlisle, probably.

The top picture definitely is.

Can anyone confirm that the bottom two are please?

643618613_IMG_20201218_1250222.jpg.44a8faf4a18a2bba76c32380a81b911c.jpg

1523421059_IMG_20201218_1233592.jpg.20658d7bd25f994d39a744ce5b35544d.jpg

978911521_IMG_20201218_1234122.jpg.04e30925bc9f34a079e3eeb7b218cb9b.jpg

the bottom one is Carlisle the middle one not too sure but i don't think it is 

John 

• Thanks 1

More great photos.

Although I passed through Carlisle quite a few times I only spent time there once or twice.

The locos stabled alongside the wall were always interesting, and I think a stabling point like that

would make an interesting variation on the normal depot layouts so often seen.

The stabling point alongside Perth station was another good example

cheers

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

45022 minus nameplates mid 80s.

Ah, happy memories - sort of!! - as a kid of trying to remove the moulded nameplates from my Mainline Peak "The Manchester Regiment" - and all the nose details too!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ah, happy memories - sort of!! - as a kid of trying to remove the moulded nameplates from my Mainline Peak "The Manchester Regiment" - and all the nose details too!! 

I’d forgotten all about those moulded nameplates! I remember doing exactly the same with mine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Are you and Western Aviator purchasers of the latest bachman 45022? I am hanging out for a run of the mill un named one. So may get a Heljan.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
autocorrect strikes again

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Are you and Western Aviator purchasers of the latest bachman 45022? I am hanging out for a run of the mill un named one. So may get a Heljan.

Not me, no. I haven't modelled 4mm UK for about 20 years.

• Like 1