Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

21 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

I fell out of love with/during privatisation.

I must admit I don't know how anyone manages to keep up with the modern privatised railscene, let alone model it with any accuracy. :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Then again, as I know so little about it, they could model it INaccurately and I'd be none the wiser... :fool:  :mosking:

• Like 1

As we talking about non rail blue liveries. 

I think this was the last picture I ever took as I lost interest.

The unusual sight of a 47/7 at Bristol Temple Meads. Fresh in its NSE garb.

As you can see it is attracting a fair bit of attention.

Can anyone date it 1990 1991?

82525898_IMG_20210101_1346152.jpg.1d0136985a8690f67d7155c75ad1d6f2.jpg

• Like 9

On 17/04/2021 at 20:23, BernardTPM said:

They never did the cab ends with that pattern of yellow and black again, save for the all Executive dark grey City of Glasgow (87 006) at the same time.That one had a large white double arrow on the side.

Didn’t 87018 end up in the same livery as 012? 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to enjoy going to Euston when I was younger, it had a different feel about it, quieter and cleaner than my local Liverpool St and I could see trains going to far flung places such as Glasgow and Inverness! 

Happy days! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Euston

136790814_IMG_20201217_1242442.jpg.833aa9e64f6971b818c856cee01e6a59.jpg

When it came to Sparkies I could never decide if the 86/2 or the 87 was my favourite. :scratchhead: 

The 87s looked a bit more modern (which, of course, they were!!) with just two windscreens and no redundant headcode box, but the 86s had a slightly 'cleaner' look to their cab front without jumper cables, and with the plated-over 'box as in the photo.

Of course back in the day I had both the Lima 87 and the Hornby 86, and couldn't decide a favourite between those, either!!! :rolleyes: :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

always thought the 86s had a nice, down-to-earth unfussiness about them - just getting on with keeping the WCML expresses running without much fuss but still with a bit of 'character'.

The 87s, even though newer and better-specced, just always struck me as a bit bland - maybe just the effect of the relatively plain front end.

That said, once Executive/InterCity livery came in, they looked better and i could appreciate them for what they were - top line electric power that did what was wanted of them from the start, without all of the cl.86 shenanigans.

The thing is, there could've been more 87s and the 83/84s could've disappeared.

Late '60s/early '70s the cl.83 & 84s were falling down all over the place and were being stored en masse as there wasn't the traffic to keep them viable. Then, when the whole WCML electrification scheme gathered pace, it was realised that BR would need more electric locos after all. However, due to budget constraints, only 35 new locos were authorised (the 87s) so BR had to then turn to the stored 83/84s (repair them/fit air brakes etc) to take over a lot of Secondary traffic so the 86/87s could be concentrated on the crack WCML trains.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, a lot of pics may just be taken as a quick snap of a train/loco but contain a lot of peripheral detail which is interesting in itself. The details, which are often missed, that give a pic its place in time and as you say an everyday scene we never thought twice about at the time but is now so interesting.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2021 at 09:49, SouthernBlue80s said:

However, despite being a rail blue man, I agree the late 80s early 90s provided a great variety of liveries and makes for a very good era to model. But also for me they represent the culling of classes and the slow creep towards privatisation and my gradual decline in interest 

The 80s is my main modeling period. Plenty of blue, and interesting diesel/electric classes, but with a few spangly liveries thrown in for good measure,

• Like 1

God how I miss the sights sounds and smells of the London stations! Seeing these pictures takes me right back to walking along the concourses or coming up the stairs from the tube and the anticipation of what you'll see. :)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

God how I miss the sights sounds and smells of the London stations! Seeing these pictures takes me right back to walking along the concourses or coming up the stairs from the tube and the anticipation of what you'll see. :)  

It was grubby, depressing sometimes and there was more real poverty and pollution about... BUT the sights the sounds and the smells were fantastic.

All those big blue, British built beasts, the smell of hot oil. Bustling or quietly atmospheric station concourses on sunny or even misty days with newspapers parcels and brutes.

Staff that had worked for the railway man and boy, some grumpy some friendly, no CCTV relatively free to roam if you used your common sense and a bit of streetwise nouce.

The anticipation of what one might see. The magic of the time for us is partly down to us being younger and partly down to life then being simpler, freer and more stimulating.

Although life in many ways has improved, for example, the quality of food, it is more complicated, you are less free and much of it is largely sanitised.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Railfrieght grey at Bath Road

56053 and 47290

1960097759_IMG_20201218_1251572.jpg.a68cf9a0fa254150988c087ba4a3dc5f.jpg

Looks like a couple of VCAs in use on Enparts traffic there. The regular movements were a VCA between Bath Road and BREL Swindon, also less often between Bath Road and Crewe Works/Derby Works.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1