Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

1878759093_IMG_20201213_1303162(1).jpg.5d01716a89d5d32aefeef4c147e6c499.jpg

OC

Trying to identify that 47. I don't think it is 500, because the Royal blanking plate is missing, and although the silver rimmed buffer beam cowling was an embelishment on 47/4 OC namers, the exposed aluminium windscreen surrounds are proving difficult to find elsewhere......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2021 at 01:56, Dave47549 said:

'511 - done sometime around April '82 ?

I'd agree on 511 yes - I have a very grainy Kodak Instamatic shot of it taken in the gloom of platform 1 at Padd on 4th December 1982 with the polished window frames ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

The last five

322712582_IMG_20201217_1252032(1).jpg.6d9e0e77041da02a6da4650fd0c1880a.jpg

Reading

Thanks for posting Steve. Some great memories.

This last one is a real teaser. What happened to 47441? Was it on a passenger train and failed, giving those on board 56 haulage? Or LEs?... You cut the image off perfectly.....not!

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Thanks for posting Steve. Some great memories.

This last one is a real teaser. What happened to 47441? Was it on a passenger train and failed, giving those on board 56 haulage? Or LEs?... You cut the image off perfectly.....not!

Unfortunately nothing that dramatic.

Just both stabled next to each other.

I was on a 47 hauled service once in the area and it failed. Was wondering what was going to appear to rescue us...they hooked a class 37 up to front, which was pretty unusual.  I have numbers in my notes somewhere 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the pics Steve, exactly my era. If I'd had money for film/printing at the time I reckon I'd have a similar collection (mainly ScR though I do have some pics from York/Scarborough taken while on holiday)

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, keefer said:

Thanks for all the pics Steve, exactly my era. If I'd had money for film/printing at the time I reckon I'd have a similar collection (mainly ScR though I do have some pics from York/Scarborough taken while on holiday)

Thanks Keefer

Yes back in the 70s and 80s, especially when we were young money was tight.

You had 24 attempts to get a picture. Perhaps stretched over a couple of trips squinting through a Zorki viewfinder or equivalent. 

I wish I had had more money to go north more often or do a railtour. But not having much was the norm in the 70s 80s for many of us. I made the most of it I suppose.

I was young and looking back wished I had pictured more of the every day. But when your 20 something the every day is boring and you don't realise how quickly it will disappear...and you are loco obsessed.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

..... looking back wished I had pictured more of the every day.

I recall at B'ham New St one day, a 47 & 50 sitting perfectly side by side at adjacent platforms, and commenting to another spotter (who I didn't know) that I wished I had a camera.

"Why?" was his reply "nothing special about them."

It was one of those times when you only think of a good reply two days later, but that was my point - there was nothing remarkable about them at the time, but one day, there would be....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

HST is on the Up Westbury avoiding line, taken from the bridge that carries a footpath and the Westbury to Warminster line, over the avoider - the area is known as Penleigh. Unfortunately, the footpath (which used to run from near the entrance to the new sidings in the down yard to Penleigh) was cut off by EWS a few years ago. A new housing estate is now in build to the left of the HST - I wonder how long it will take for residents to start complaining about the round the clock noise from the yard?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

HST is on the Up Westbury avoiding line, taken from the bridge that carries a footpath and the Westbury to Warminster line, over the avoider - the area is known as Penleigh. Unfortunately, the footpath (which used to run from near the entrance to the new sidings in the down yard to Penleigh) was cut off by EWS a few years ago. A new housing estate is now in build to the left of the HST - I wonder how long it will take for residents to start complaining about the round the clock noise from the yard?

Funny you should mention the new build cookie cutter housing...as when I posted that picture, I thought to myself I wonder what that view looks like nowadays if it had been built on.