Steve's 1980s rail pictures.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, keefer said:

Just wondering how they ended up there, as I thought the branded stock was for internal ScR services.

There were of course NE-SW/Cross-Country workings from Scotland but I'd have thought these would have their own stock allocation.

Maybe @Flood can provide some info?

The Edinburgh/Glasgow to Harwich boat train “The European” used to chuck out Scotrail branded stock on occasion. 

Andi

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

The 40 has 028 written in the dirt on the bottom of the left hand nose door.

Good spot!

The rust pattern on the top of the nose doors, and the slightly unmatched position of the electrification flashes match 40028.

cheers 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, keefer said:

Just wondering how they ended up there, as I thought the branded stock was for internal ScR services.

There were of course NE-SW/Cross-Country workings from Scotland but I'd have thought these would have their own stock allocation.

Maybe @Flood can provide some info?

The Mk2a brake second would appear to be 9436, based at Craigentinny in 1985. The Mk2c is one of those after 5555 as it has roevac vents. All the Scottish Mk2c TSOTs were based at Inverness so the only other candidate is 5574 which was also at Craigentinny. This probably should have been a cross-country allocated coach but in 1984/85 the Scottish Mk2e TSOs received Inter-City ScotRail so perhaps someone was a bit over zealous with the branding of this coach.

As for the service I was initially totally stumped. The stock fits the Bristol to Glasgow/Edinburgh sleeper day coaches which were booked off St. Phillip's Marsh at 17.15 to arrive Malago Vale at 17.35 running ECS. From the photo this working appears to have been routed via Temple Meads station so it could be turned.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The Edinburgh/Glasgow to Harwich boat train “The European” used to chuck out Scotrail branded stock on occasion. 

Andi

It was allocated Polmadie stock, working turn about with the Plymouth and Poole services.

Dundee - Poole

Poole - Glasgow

Glasgow - Plymouth

Plymouth - Aberdeen

Aberdeen - Plymouth

Plymouth - Glasgow

Glasgow - Poole

Poole - Edinburgh

Edinburgh - Penzance

Penzance - Glasgow

Glasgow - Harwich

Harwich - Edinburgh

ECS to Dundee

or

Glasgow - Penzance

Penzance - Edinburgh

Edinburgh - Harwich

Harwich - Glasgow

Edited by Flood
Added a comma!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

That 31 should be identifiable.

It's a 31/0 because it is red spot multi, but the centre doors have been replaced by a plain panel with foot steps.

There were only 10 left in 1979, 005 and 019 had a white roof around that time, leaves 2/3/4/6/8/13/15/17.

Be damned if I can find a pic though.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

That 31 should be identifiable.

It's a 31/0 because it is red spot multi, but the centre doors have been replaced by a plain panel with foot steps.

There were only 10 left in 1979, 005 and 019 had a white roof around that time, leaves 2/3/4/6/8/13/15/17.

Be damned if I can find a pic though.....

It would be good to know which one. Here is another 31 at Kings Cross. No headcode box but blue star 1982/83

(It is nice to put a few numbers to locos)

2085311559_IMG_20201215_1102192.jpg.e5ebca7d843220e9073d501d51e59016.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Memories of Stratford.

Mid afternoon on a Saturday I would get off the tube at Stratford station and make my way down that long damp, slightly frightening foot tunnel under the tracks and Surface at the edge of the works.

(Does anyone remember that tunnel, did anyone ever take a picture of it)

I remember it! As a teenager, a couple of mates and me got relieved of most of our money in that tunnel by some of the East End’s finest one Sunday morning at the start of a London depot bunking day out. It apparently didn’t bother us too much as we carried on to Cricklewood, Willesden and Old Oak Common before going home. I don’t remember much else about the day, only that 47317 was on our train into Paddington.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

image.png.6bac1eeac52b8b237ff345181be1dfe0.png

I knew about the ex-cl.15 ETH heating units but was intrigued by 968009 next to it.

I've seen ex-cl.24 steam heating units before but they were normal 'skinhead' 24s. Not only is 009 a cl.24/1 (with headcode boxes) but it is an ETH unit too (I'd always thought ETH ones were either cl.15 or 31).

https://www.derbysulzers.com/24142.html

Great pic anyway!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

image.png.dc5db79917c756ce5059905126891f28.png

Another interesting detail there, the presence of a red blank on the headcode blind. There was a pic previously on RMWeb showing this on a cl.50 I think.

What's strange about this is that red blinds were only ever used/authorised on the SR (and only on the SR 2-character blinds), so why they were present on 4-character blinds is a mystery, unless there was a plan/experiment to use them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

50 minutes ago, keefer said:

image.png.dc5db79917c756ce5059905126891f28.png

Another interesting detail there, the presence of a red blank on the headcode blind. There was a pic previously on RMWeb showing this on a cl.50 I think.

What's strange about this is that red blinds were only ever used/authorised on the SR (and only on the SR 2-character blinds), so why they were present on 4-character blinds is a mystery, unless there was a plan/experiment to use them.

Class 24s were allocated to the Southern Region between 1959 and 1962. Certainly to be found at Faversham shed 73E - right at the end of its life. Hither Green definitely had an allocation. So that probably explains it.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

As is often the case with these old photos the background details are often interesting.

I like the pile of brake blocks at Stratford beside 25214 for example.

Thanks for sharing 

Agree.

Because my scanner is rubbish. I am using my camera phone to take pictures of the original prints. Which means we can zoom in and a lot of that every day detail which is tiny in the originals we can now see. That every day stuff.