8 plank open ferry wagon in OO

I'm wondering if the collective wisdom of RMWeb can succeed where my lack of skills with the Google search engine have failed...

I'm wondering if anyone has made a kit for the 8 plank open ferry wagon built for the Southern Railway for their train ferries? As there were only forty of them built, I suspect these would be a kit rather than RTR.

If not, any suggestions as to which kits or RTR wagon might be kitbashed into a representation?

Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

Steve S

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I'm wondering if the collective wisdom of RMWeb can succeed where my lack of skills with the Google search engine have failed...

I'm wondering if anyone has made a kit for the 8 plank open ferry wagon built for the Southern Railway for their train ferries? As there were only forty of them built, I suspect these would be a kit rather than RTR.

If not, any suggestions as to which kits or RTR wagon might be kitbashed into a representation?

Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

Steve S

Never seen a kit for these. I suspect you're going to have to scratch-build one. There's a 4mm scale drawing in 'An Illustrated History of BR Wagons- Volume1'. You'd have to find an underfame from somewhere; one from a Bachmann TTA or similar? The wheelbase of the prototype was 14'10", so fairly close. 

When these wagons were taken off ferry work, at least ten went for whiting traffic from Beverley to Scotland (that's fine powdered chalk, not fish), and then went to dolime traffic from the Ferryhill area to various locations. Quite a few were cut down to 5-planks.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Never seen a kit for these. I suspect you're going to have to scratch-build one. There's a 4mm scale drawing in 'An Illustrated History of BR Wagons- Volume1'. You'd have to find an underfame from somewhere; one from a Bachmann TTA or similar? The wheelbase of the prototype was 14'10", so fairly close. 

When these wagons were taken off ferry work, at least ten went for whiting traffic from Beverley to Scotland (that's fine powdered chalk, not fish), and then went to dolime traffic from the Ferryhill area to various locations. Quite a few were cut down to 5-planks.

I suspect that the OP is interested in the earlier open ferry wagons, built by the SR; (Dia. 1387); as opposed to the BR(SR) ones.

These were versions of the standard SR eight plank open; (Dia. 1379 etc.); and have been produced in 4mm. scale kit form : - https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C6-SR-12ton-8-Plank-Open-Wagon-p94211526

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

According to An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Vol 4, in Southern days there were 30 dia 1387s (converted from the standard open goods wagon, dia 1379), and twenty of the 12' wb 8-plank opens on a 21' 6 underframe (dia 1388).  BR added a further 40 of a slightly longer version of the latter.  I'm not aware of a kit for the dia 1388.

D

• Informative/Useful 1

To Be fair to Brian, the OP mentions 40 wagons constructed, as in the BR(SR) number of Ferry Highs and your answer presumes it is these 

However the OP also mentions the SOUTHERN RAILWAY train ferries leading to the earlier smaller batch of 30 SR Wagons ,which others have assumed is what is required.

Perhaps the OP can come back and  clarify which wagon he is after info on then we can proceed in a better guided direction to resolve the request.

Meld

• Thanks 1

Hello all

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at the article Ferry Story continued in MR 73 (Nov 2004) which has a photo of a surviving SR ferry open (at Didcot) in the same box out as a drawing for the BR built 21 ton 14ft 10" wheelbase 8 plank "Hybarfit" wagon, 40 of which were built for BR (SR).

I confusingly merged the two wagons! Sorry.

However, I am interested in both the Southern Railway wagons and the BR (SR) open ferry wagons, so appreciate information about both. The article doesn't say that anybody produces kits for these, but it is 16 years ago that the article was published!

Hope that clarifies things?

Steve S

PS

Sorry for the delay in responding - in the midst of tree decorating!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos

There is a Cambrian wagon that will provide you with the ends and doors, the side would need either major cut and shut or a bit of scratch building. As for the underframe, just need to find a wagon with one that matches, suggest a good scan of the barrowmoor model railway group website BR diagrams.

• Thanks 1

The BR(SR) Ferry High is do-able from Cambrian/Airfix( Dapol )/Lanarkshire Model Supplies/51L/PArkside/Chivers Cut and Shut Mashup.

The body is from Two Cambrian Kits C6 SR 12ton 8 Plank Open Wagons, Cut and extended to the correct length as per the Drawing the the OPC book, so is the floor.

The cut on the side is hidden under the extra metalwork added from Plastic strip stock. cut off the corner end plate from one pair of sides and the work out the correct length from the other side to extend outwards. all strapping iron work is shaved off and replace with plastic strip stock ( reinstate some of the planking detail with careful scoring where you have removed the original diagonal strapping ).

The Chassis is slightly shortened Airfix( Dapol ) Tanker kit 

You'll need to modify the Axleboxes and Spring hangers or live with the wrong Spring hangers and Axleboxes, Appleby Model engineering did a more correct style, but I believe that these White metal castings are long out of production with little hope of a return from this manufacture of days gone.

The drop 5 plank door furniture need moving around, but nothing complicated .. I missed this on this the first one that I did :(

The buffers are from Lanarkshire Model Supplies.

Some of the Brake rigging hangers are spares from Chivers kits, other parts are scratch built from plastic strip, other pieces are from Cambrian A/B 4 Wheel wagons ( OBA/OCA/SPA ) and converted leavers from Parkside807559881_OJX4.jpg.43addd030e3e4acebea537912f10267b.jpg1385763134_OJX5.jpg.b0690ecd5b470fbe5b5dffa76f7ecd7e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

photo of an surviving SR ferry open (at Didcot)

The two wagons at Didcot were BR(SR) ferry opens, I notice they seem to hve been replaced by OBA's, which is a shame as they were quite worthy of preservation in their own rights.

Jon

Thank you again for the information. A quick visit to Cambrian models (courtesy of John Isherwood's link) shows them as sold out/out of stock.  (Actually, they seem to be sold out of everything! I guess modellers have been stocking up for Lockdown Parts 2 and 3!!)

I admire the cut and shut wagon produced by Meld above... now I know that a kit isn't available, at least I have an idea about how to create one. I will put an order in to Cambrian Models for the SR wagon, too.

Many thanks again, fellow RMWebbers!

Funnily enough that magazine partwork from Hatchette had a RTR one that has never appeared elsewhere. The one that had a BR Mark One coach of unknown origin free on the first issue.

Part of your subscription deal. The other wagons were PO and tank wagons (supplied in two parts). I think there was also an LMS brake van which was a copy of the Bachmann one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hachette-Your-Model-Railway-00-Gauge-Freight-Truck-Wagon-Body-Only-issue-55-New/254646640505?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D06391c7e2d23414cbf52a3aa4222c7e5%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D254805844105%26itm%3D254646640505%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

This was the PO wagon.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109055-mystery-rtr-5-plank-in-00/

If you've got time then it might have been mentioned in the thread. But it is long and quite a few posts were deleted after arguments.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/&/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/?p=1370069

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
On 13/12/2020 at 13:22, Fat Controller said:

I need some of these wagons for the trip freight on my layout - any idea of the numbers of those used on the Beverley whiting traffic??