Precision paint losing its matt quality.

I am in the middle of scratch building a GWR goods shed and using Precision paint Dark Stone for the sliding doors. As you can see from the image the paint is not matt but gloss although it says matt on the tin. I gave the paint a good stir before I applied it to the door. The GWR may have used a gloss paint when new but I suspect it lost its gloss after a few years. I have read that you can add talcum powder to paint to make it matt. I would like to know if any other modellers have experienced this and what their solution was or is it just a question of buying another can of paint.

IMG_3379.JPG

Hmmm. I've had this issue with Precision paints as well recently. I think everyone is stating that they're mixing thoroughly and shaking/agitating the tins for several minutes prior to use.

I have got a Matt Black, supposedly, in both small and large sizes - they both finish extremely glossy, even without adding any thinners - not impressed either. Railmatch enamels seem to be far superior but it used to be the other way round. Wondering if Precision have altered the ingredients at some point, to maybe comply better with sending enamels through the post.......don't know.

Cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect this is a result of insufficient stirring, as others have suggested above. I devised a paddle type stirrer which goes into a very small (12v) controllable electric drill. It amounts to a length of brass tube with a thin flat piece soldered against the end. The "paddles" are slightly twisted so that in normal direction of use they tend to push the paint down. Seems to work well and requires half a minute or so mixing but you need to take care with the drill speed if you don't want a mess!

• 2 weeks later...