"We only accept cheques drawn on UK banks via a mail order..."

Guest WM183

Hi all.

Serious question; do checks still get used that much in the UK? Here in Holland no banks even issue them anymore, and my bank has stopped even letting customers deposit or cash them as of the 1st of the year (2020). I have found a few suppliers who actually have websites, but then who insist on order by post only, paid by check. 

For folks in the UK, how common are cheques still? Do people still like pay with them often? 

Wondering,

Amanda

HSBC still issue them, but you have to ask specifically for a new book if you need one.  I've just obtained a new one from them, but it will last me a long time...

I generally just use them for specific financial transactions nowadays - primarily donations to organisations/charities, though I have just paid for a model loco with one, for the first time in years!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I cannot remember the last time I wrote a cheque on my personal account and I last used a society a couple of years ago.
I can remember about 10-12 years ago having to set up a paypal account for a society as one member could not get cheques from his UK bank any more...

Patrick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Occasionally; usually for paying subscriptions.  I've recently used one to renew a magazine subscription, but most societies etc. for which I recently used cheques to renew subscriptions now offer electronic banking options.

• Like 1

Until Covid Local Councils had to have two signatures on cheques so our Parish Council and Local Charity still pay by cheque, if you don't accept cheques then you don't get our business.

I haven't paid by cheque for about 3 years, but I am for ever counter signing the damn things.

They are good for traders in that they have the money before sending the goods, with credit cards the purchaser can often get a full refund and with PayPal the money can be snatched away again leaving a hole in your overdraft.   Selling cheques are good, buying they're bad.   Hows that for a balanced answer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Honestly I cannot remember the last time I wrote a cheque (or check for our US / Canadian friends) and have only received one in recent years.  That was from HM Government as a tax "adjustment" and those are now transmitted electronically.  

Many places stopped accepting cheques years ago.  A few small businesses and sole traders still take them.  A few clubs, including railway and modelling clubs, do so too and there might be  one or two out there for whom it seems to be the only means of payment.  There is always a workaround however (and no I don't mean mailing cash) if one asks the appropriate party nicely.  In a situation I know of a club set up a Paypal account in response to requests for electronic funds transfer following the general demise of cheques.  

When I drove buses (in Cornwall and in the 1990s) we only accepted them "by prior arrangement" which means the passenger would normally be expected to phone the office and get a clearance before presenting a cheque to the driver.  The reality was that so few were ever offered that we took them in good faith though with a name and address written on the back and a phone number for contact in case of need.  They would not have been used for normal fares but very occasionally we were presented with one as we sold multi-journey and all-network tickets for up to a week on the bus which could cost over £40.  In those days most of our single and return fares were less than £3.  

• Like 3

I use cheques rarely nowadays, also mainly for charity donations. But my 90-year old Mum still uses them regularly and has no desire or intention to use online banking. Presumably any such folk in the Netherlands were simply given no choice in the matter ? 

8 minutes ago, Nile said:

National Savings still send out premium bond winnings in the form of a cheque. I can't remember the last time I used one of my own.

NSI have recently attempted to stop sending cheques, but I believe the public outcry has made them reconsider.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

There are a few one-man traders who only accept cheques -Masokits (Peter Clark) springs to mind, personally I try to avoid taking cheques in payment due to the inconvenience of dealing with them, perhaps I write  two per year maximum, there are easier ways these days.

Hi Stephen,

This was one of the ones I had in mind, with Dave Bradwell being another. They both produce things I genuinely would like to buy, but I do not live in the UK, cannot send a check, and seem to have no other way save getting a friend in the UK to order for me, then sending the bits on to me, which is just... annoying.

Amanda

1 minute ago, caradoc said:

I use cheques rarely nowadays, also mainly for charity donations. But my 90-year old Mum still uses them regularly and has no desire or intention to use online banking. Presumably any such folk in the Netherlands were simply given no choice in the matter ? 

NSI have recently attempted to stop sending cheques, but I believe the public outcry has made them reconsider.

Seems that way. Of course banks here tend to just do whatever they want and let the customers complain, knowing they don't really have a great range of options.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, caradoc said:
9 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I don't mind how NSI send me the money. I just wish that they would send some!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I haven't had a chequebook since 2008, and the bank won't issue me with one. It does mean there are a few small suppliers who won't get any business from me unfortunately. 

I have only been presented with a handful since starting up Coast Line Models, I'd prefer not t get any as the bank is a long way from home and doesn't even keep normal business hours anymore, so actually taking a cheque to be paid in means having to take half a day off work! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

I have only been presented with a handful since starting up Coast Line Models, I'd prefer not t get any as the bank is a long way from home and doesn't even keep normal business hours anymore, so actually taking a cheque to be paid in means having to take half a day off work! 

That's odd, the few cheques I've had to deal with in recent years have been posted to the bank (First Direct) no need to physically present them in person.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi Stephen,

This was one of the ones I had in mind, with Dave Bradwell being another. They both produce things I genuinely would like to buy, but I do not live in the UK, cannot send a check, and seem to have no other way save getting a friend in the UK to order for me, then sending the bits on to me, which is just... annoying.

Amanda

Have you considered getting a Sterling draft?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Have you considered getting a Sterling draft?

I have no idea what that is, and where I would possibly get one?

• RMweb Gold

A banker's draft, (in your case in Sterling  GBP)   also known as a banker's cheque, is like asking a bank to write a cheque for you. You give them your money and they give you a cheque for that amount to give to the person you're paying. For this reason, they do not bounce because of a lack of funds.

Unless your supplier is a complete luddite it should be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1