Rospeath Lane

Yan

Hi all

Well... I've taken the plunge and started a blog about my next project which is going to be an engine shed. It is a change of size and complexity from my first little project Tredethy Wharf and I hope that what I have in mind will materialise.

An engine shed layout has been one that I've hankered after building for quite sometime. A few years ago I even purchased from Timber Tracks their Four Road Engine Shed, Coaling Stage and Sand House. These have been languishing on the shelf ever since.  After acquiring a few locos off someone who was downsizing their layout it became a real possibility that my desire could be a reality. To this end I've been planning and making a start on the Timber Tracks buildings along with formulating a back story.

The fist blog entry is my initial thoughts, plans and back story for this project and can be found at the link below:

I'm thinking that I'll be mainly using the blog for progress reports and use this topic thread for advice, replying to comments and general discussions about this project.

Well that's my initial idea...time will tell if it all goes like that.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last few days I've been thinking about comments made on the Rospeath Lane blog about the coal storage sidings and currently giving some thought about a coal stack. Would like to include a coal stack of some description in the model but in browsing the web I've not found any photos showing a coal stack at Leamington Spa. However I have seen photos giving a glimpse of a coal stack at Lock Rock.

Current thought is to place the coal stack between the two outer tracks of the coal storage sidings. My quandary is, would the middle track still be there? I'm sure I've seen photos of coal stacks being built over tracks but not sure at which location.

Question: was the building coal stacks over tracks something that the GWR BR(WR) regions practised?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been mulling over previous comments made by readers and have ended up with an amended plan. Now at v15 but I'm getting very close to cutting the first sob (plank of wood). The only outstanding thought is whether to replace the external Loco Hoist with a GWR Repair Shop based on the one at Didcot? After measuring the space available a 6 bay building would fit nicely so this is certainly one additional project for the future.

Full description of v15 can be found on my Rospeath Lane Blog here

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on the following two questions

1) In going through my box of track components I've found a quantity of Dow Mac sleepers. These were purchased for a previous LSWR project where I knew these sleepers were used. I'm now thinking could I justify using them on Rospeath Lane? After a little research I've discovered that the GWR used concrete sleepers with bullhead rail and 2 bolt chairs in sidings. I'm wondering if any of the Cornish Mainline was relayed in the 1950s with Dow Mac sleepers?

2) Am I correct in assuming that during the 1950s BR(WR), when replacing track, would have used what chairs were available and this would have resulted in 3 bolt S1 chairs being seen alongside 2 bolt chairs in Cornwall.

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall with the signal box diagram for Rospeath Lane and need some advice. The question I have is how the exit from the shed via the Turntable Road onto the down main line will be controlled.

Turnout control

1)      Shed staff need to have control through turnouts S1 & S2 that give access from the Reception/Head Shunt road to the Running Shed roads 3, 4, & 5.

2)      The Signal box will need total control of the exit (turnout 24) so that no engine is allowed across the Up Main Line without being given permission.

1008907680_RospeathLanev15signalboxShedgroundframediagram.jpg.519f4dbc79b8a2dc2dcde1b3961634af.jpg

The dashed lines are a possible addition to the track plan

The problems I’m seeing are:

1)      Would there be a ground frame for the shed staff to operate the turnouts in this area which would also have interlocking so that Turnout 24 could not be set for exit unless S1 & S2 turnouts were set correctly?  This is so no engine could cross the turntable to down mainline when a loco is exiting the shed.

2)      Would there be a facing point lock on Turnout 24 operated by the signal box or Shed Ground Frame?

3)      Or dare I even think that I might be over thinking this? The Signal box is directly opposite this set of turnouts so would the movements be handled with hand signals and a couple of ground signals with a modicum of common sense by the shed staff/engine crew?