Calne Model Rail Show - 23 & 24 October 2021

Geoff Endacott

The Calne Model Rail Show

The Calne Leisure Centre, White Horse Way, Calne, Wilts., SN11 0SP.

Saturday 23rd October 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Sunday 24th October 10.00 am - 4.30 pm

Adult: £5.00, Child: £3.00, Group (2+2): £12.00.

We didn't hold the usual Calne Show in January 2020 due to building works at the leisure centre. Instead we held a much smaller event at the nearby Beversbrook Sports Facility. We had expected to return to the leisure centre in January 2021 but something seems to have gone wrong!

Trainwest was last held during April 2019 and has been cancelled for 2020 and 2021. It will return (we hope) in April 2022.

We had long been pondering moving the Calne Show to the autumn in order to give us equal intervals after the preceding Trainwest and before the following Trainwest.

So from adversity comes opportunity. We can't hold a Calne Show (or any other show) in January 2021. By early 2022 we will be busy preparing for the return of Trainwest after a gap of three years. But it does look as though a sufficient degree of normality will have returned in order to hold a Calne Show in October.

We therefore intend to hold the next Calne Model Rail Show at its usual venue over the weekend of 23 & 24 October 2021.

I do hope that we will remember how to run a show by then. More significantly I hope that people will still want to visit.

Thanks for the offers of layouts. The show is now full.

Layouts:

85J (OO): Dave Spencer

UK - BR(WR) - 1960s

Angell Creek Roundhouse and Mill (On30/O9): Paul Davis & Jim Keylock

USA - Tennessee - 1940s-50s

Axe Valley Mill (O): Ken Banks

UK - BR West Country - 1950s-60s

Bridgebury Gate (N): Russ Hobbs

UK - BR South of England - 1966-2000

Invernevis (N): David Greenwood

UK - West Highlands of Scotland - 1980s

Llanteulyddog (OO): CLAPHAM

UK - BR North Wales - Early 1990s

Moonbase Alpha (OO): Tony Vernon

The Moon - Fictional Human Settlement - The Future

Much Murkle (OO): Nick Wood

UK - GWR Herefordshire - 1930s

Peasevern Yard (O): Rob Owst

UK - BR in Bristol - Late 1970s

Penmawr (OO): Chris Thomas

UK - GWR in South Wales - 1930-40

Puffin Colliery (OO/OO9): John Stephens/Swindon MRC

UK - Colliery in Wales - Late 20th Century

Smallcombe (OO): Ted Olney

UK - LMS Western/Central Division - 1930s

St Oswalds (O16.5): Tim Crockford

UK - Welsh Narrow Gauge - 1950s-60s

Stowford (OO9): Diane Tape

UK - Preserved Line in North Devon - 1960s-70s

Victoria & Albert Docks (OO): Arnie Bird

UK - London - 1914-18

Weaver Hill (OO): Rich & Benjamin Brady

UK - Network Rail in Staffordshire - 1990 or 2018

Trade Stands:

Along Classic Lines

Andy Lynch

David Smith Books

Frome Model Centre

Medway Queen

Model Railway Developments

Richard's Spares

The Trainman

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
Exhibits updated.
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

While i hate to be ever so slightly negative as i cant wait to get back to shows, but is that not the weekend that Taunton would normally have their show? Oh and the show in Cheltenham is normally the same weekend assuming they both run. Perhaps a move a week forward might get more interest?

Edited by G-DIMB
Added info
  • Agree 1

Geoff, the offer is there to bring Parsons Vale but I am conscious you have it at Trainwest in April 2022 and don't normally have the same layout at 2 shows in a row. Alternatively I can bring Peasevern yard which should be close to being finished by then....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this and condolences to those particularly affected.

We always particularly liked the Calne show as a family, the right size to take the whole family even those not quite so interested in Model Railways. There always seemed to be a lot of families there, good for advertising the hobby.

I hope the committee can carry on with the shows as a testament to Geoff, I am sure that is what he would have wanted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Following Geoff's sudden and unexpected death we've still not yet been able to gain access to any of Geoff's paperwork or emails relating to his organising of either the Calne Show proposed for October 2021 nor Trainwest proposed for April 2022. I have been able to contact most of the exhibitors and traders for these but for a remaining few I have no contact details whatsoever. So if anyone had been in correspondence with Geoff about attending at either show and has not yet been in contact with me could you drop me a line, preferable by email to chariman@bmrg.org.uk (that's chairman at bmrg.org.uk). Thanks.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

After careful consideration the club has decided not to proceed with the Calne Model Railway Exhibition proposed for October 2021.

We would however like to continue holding these going forward and look forward to meeting up in person at some future date.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

5 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Understandable in the circumstances but a shame nevertheless, but looking forward to future shows, why not a Geoff Endacott trophy ? Maybe voted on by visitors to add some interest ?

While it is a nice idea, Geoff was firmly against trophies at shows, as I asked the question of him if it was something he ever considered so he wouldn't be a fan of the idea. I think his point was that the judging was always very subjective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, 37114 said:

... Geoff was firmly against trophies at shows ... I think his point was that the judging was always very subjective.

Let's just say we'd witnessed some less than admirable responses to judging decisions in the past. Added to that the whole process of giving out and getting back trophies could be a right pain in the proverbial :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/06/2021 at 12:53, Chris White said:

Let's just say we'd witnessed some less than admirable responses to judging decisions in the past. Added to that the whole process of giving out and getting back trophies could be a right pain in the proverbial :-)

I've seen that! It was almost a case of kids throwing their toys out the pram.