EMU formations

cheesysmith

Does anybody know f there has been anything published around the EMU formations in the 80s?

Hugh longworth excellent book stops in the 70s, and I want to know what happened later.

I know there was large refurbishment programs, and a concentration of compartment stock into dedicated sets for limited rush hour use, along with condemnation and scrapping of asbestos stock.

• RMweb Gold

I think your best source of information regarding this is either Platform 5 pocket books or combine.  They gave a list of individual vehicles per each set and from what I can remember, what unit they came from.  I think that was certainly the case regarding the 4-CEP’s and 4-EPB’s.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Try this website - https://www.bloodandcustard.com/#MultipleUnits

You will need to scroll down for the relevant EMU sections, and I don't think they have finished the 4-VEPs yet; but there is a wealth of detail on most classes within the site. 

Edited by jonny777

Also the RCTS coaching stock books had unit formations. The earlier books (incl the 1976 edition) even listed DMU cars with formations as delivered long after they were all mixed up. The later RCTS books were co-published with Ian Allan (around 1984 I think?), and still listed EMU formations.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes, Platform 5 booklets started in the early eighties ( the earliest I have to hand is "SECOND EDITION - JUNE 1981" ) ....... but I think the Combos came along a few years later - there's certainly  an '85 edition. ( The earlier - yet fabled - Ian Allan ABCs didn't list individual vehicles within sets.)

I remember getting the pocket books in the early 80’s and they came out every 6 months and as you mentioned, the first combine came out in 1985 and I still have mine, suitably grubby :rolleyes:

Just now, jools1959 said:

I remember getting the pocket books in the early 80’s and they came out every 6 months and as you mentioned, the first combine came out in 1985 and I still have mine, suitably grubby :rolleyes:

I reckon the loco book was published twice a year, the others annually

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Ian Fisher said:

I reckon the loco book was published twice a year, the others annually

They were all published twice a year as I still have mine though I think they became annually after the combined came out.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2020 at 23:23, cheesysmith said:

Does anybody know f there has been anything published around the EMU formations in the 80s?

Hugh longworth excellent book stops in the 70s, and I want to know what happened later.

I know there was large refurbishment programs, and a concentration of compartment stock into dedicated sets for limited rush hour use, along with condemnation and scrapping of asbestos stock.

Hi cheeseysmith

While my EMU book is entitled EMUs to 1975, that only refers to the build dates.  It contains complete formations and withdrawal dates for all that stock, right up to the publication date of 2014.

Take another look, and enjoy.

Hugh Longworth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Funny you should say that as I ordered a copy the other day lol. Just waiting for delivery.

Got the first gen dmu book sat next to me now.

I do have to say a big thanks to people like you who spent the time and effort to collect all this info for future reference. The common and everyday became extinct and gone before most people realised or took notes.

I do not presume the why or what it cost or took for these books you have done, but you do have my thanks.