Non-paying bidder

TT-Pete

I sold a few items on eBay, overall happy with the outcome and prices realised. Except for this one chap in Sri Lanka, bought 2 lots for about £40 and having got a quote for £19 from the Post Office, issued him with an invoice including the additional postage. He took offence at this and a couple of emails back and forth with me explaining that I only charge the actual postage and am not making a profit. He has a positive feedback score of 6 and has not responded to my latest query.

What to do? I am leaning towards putting it down to experience and just cancelling the transaction and re-listing the lots, can't be doing with bother for only £40, however there's the principle...

Re list ,

I only sell to UK , abroad is not worth the hassle. I sent a book to Japan , 2 weeks later after he refused to pay signed for postage , I havent recieved my book .

I cant prove otherwise and you get burnt. I havent got caught again. Anything sold for over £5, I only send signed for , no cost to me the buyer pays.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I do offer to post internationally, I write in the postage section how I arrive at the cost (difference between UK 1st class and the international rate added to the stated P&P cost) and if applicable state its weight and warn the cost may be expensive, I also suggest bidders email me first for a quote). to date no problems

Open a non payer dispute with eBay and relist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately it is buyers like this that end up meaning that I cannot bid on items that interest me because the seller will only sell within the UK.  So from a selfish point of view report him to Ebay in the hope that he is removed from the system.

• RMweb Gold

I think some people are just time wasters, even if not maliciously, they can’t face saying I no longer want the items. Although I don’t do e-bay sales I do sell the SLS books mail order for the Society. Several overseas requests have required trips to the Post Office to get the postal quotes, you email the price back, they say there will be a cheque in the post/pay pal payment made and you never hear from them again.

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Unfortunately it is buyers like this that end up meaning that I cannot bid on items that interest me because the seller will only sell within the UK.  So from a selfish point of view report him to Ebay in the hope that he is removed from the system.

Andy

This should not be the case, as I said, in my description I clearly say I am happy to post abroad, and state at how I arrive at the cost. No one ever emails me for a quote and I probably send one overseas about once a month

However in eBays postage section I list as UK only, simply as the coast of overseas postage varies and its misleading quoting any prices, as they differ so much  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Andy

This should not be the case, as I said, in my description I clearly say I am happy to post abroad, and state at how I arrive at the cost. No one ever emails me for a quote and I probably send one overseas about once a month

However in eBays postage section I list as UK only, simply as the coast of overseas postage varies and its misleading quoting any prices, as they differ so much  

Sadly my experience says otherwise.  In the past when asked more often than not sellers were very happy to allow me to bid on their items, but it seems more and more if posts to UK is the only option shown, when asked if they would post to France the answer has been sorry but no.  I have had 3 rejections in the last 2-3 months or so and no acceptances and my ebay profile is faultless.  

• Friendly/supportive 1