Signal Box Photos

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, beast66606 said:

It's Manchester Victoria East Junction :)

You’re quite right, of course. I did know which box it was but for some reason my hands typed “Piccadilly” instead. :scratchhead:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2021 at 20:12, SM42 said:

By 2014 that signal had been vandalised modernised :bad:

1813986506_HeckingtonJune2014.jpg.dc2dccc4c6ca049f2335bec1226aa386.jpg

Andy

I assume that you would rather have Signalling staff risk life and limb and Network Rail risk prosecution under the Health & Safety at Work Act Working at Height Regulations in order to preserve the aesthetics of a railway built in the Victorian era when life was cheap?

3 hours ago, 96701 said:

I assume that you would rather have Signalling staff risk life and limb and Network Rail risk prosecution under the Health & Safety at Work Act Working at Height Regulations in order to preserve the aesthetics of a railway built in the Victorian era when life was cheap?

Nope

Just perhaps a more elegant solution.

A consistency of style would have helped. A big box section with a bit of tube stuck on top to hold the signal is not elegant.

The support structure of the signal at Manea shown above, (which from the photo appears to be missing a handrail and a kick board for a start, and may explain why it's defective as no-one is able to fix it) hasn't been replaced by a structure, the  visual impact of which I would suggest , distracts from the signal arm and therefore creates another hazard.

I appreciate that the signal would have been sighted and meet the standard. The presence of the box masks some of the structure which helps, but it is not the only one like it on the network.

Andy

Edited by SM42
for clarity
  • Like 1

A few from around my neck of the woods. I think  2 have listed status and hopefully wont be consigned to history? 

Firstly Friargate, a rather nice MS&LR boundary post is close by, taken 8.89 and 4/90. 

Littlefield Lane and Garden St respectively. I'm led to believe the brick base at Garden St is to counter WW2 bomb blast damage. Adjacent bridge did have evidence of same. I think has listed status Both taken circa 11/89 

Roxton Sidings and Brocklesby Junct but no date. I think Brocklesby is the other with listed status. 

Finally but further afield and west of Scunthorpe: Medge Hall and Godnow Bridge taken 11/89 respectively. 

Few other local boxes on my Grimsby & Immingham thread 

Scan 20.jpeg

Scan 22.jpeg

Scan 23.jpeg

Scan 24.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A few I have collected over the years.

Whittlesford on 3 January 1976 when there had been a block instrument failure and they were working time interval.

DMU at Whittlesford 030176.JPG

Disused ex-GN box somewhere at the north end of the Northern Line.

File0125.jpg

Ditto but at another station (Woodside Park, thanks)

File0126.jpg

Another view.

File0126a.jpg

This one is easy: High Barnet.

File0131.jpg

And again.

File0131a.jpg

Truro, not Hayle, Cornwall. Thanks for the correction. I assumed it must be Hayle because it was with the other Hayle photos and I don't remember visiting Truro. So myuh for my memory.

Hayle.jpg

And finally Stratford upon Avon (I believe, taken on a special trip)

Stratford trip 15.jpg

That’s my lot. Can anyone put names to the Northern Line ones?

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
Adding more photos and info
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

File0126.jpg

That’s my lot. Can anyone put names to the Northern Line ones?

Jonathan

That's Woodside Park. I can't place the other one at the moment.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DOCJACOB said:

A few from around my neck of the woods. I think  2 have listed status and hopefully wont be consigned to history? 

Firstly Friargate, a rather nice MS&LR boundary post is close by, taken 8.89 and 4/90. 

Littlefield Lane and Garden St respectively. I'm led to believe the brick base at Garden St is to counter WW2 bomb blast damage. Adjacent bridge did have evidence of same. I think has listed status Both taken circa 11/89 

Roxton Sidings and Brocklesby Junct but no date. I think Brocklesby is the other with listed status. 

Finally but further afield and west of Scunthorpe: Medge Hall and Godnow Bridge taken 11/89 respectively. 

Few other local boxes on my Grimsby & Immingham thread 

Scan 24.jpeg

Godnow bridge had changed a bit by Summer 2014.

Not as nice as the 1989 version but a good effort

41093061_GodnowBridge.JPG.1a8468af297bec3595a365168838145a.JPG

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Reigate box is readily viewable via Google Streetview as it sits next to the level crossing. Here are some inside views- note that the lever frame controlled area is actually only a tiny bit of the area the box covers. As with many such boxes a block shelf extension with banks of switches has been added in the mid 1980s to eliminate the mechanical signalling between Reigate and Guildford and this 'extension' covers a far grater mileage than the original area the area covered by the frame.

The excellent condition of the lever frame is the hard work of one of the resident signalmen (around 20 years at Reigate) who ensures the lever tops are kept polished and the traditional railway ambiance inside is retained in spite of the ‘mod cons’ that have been added over the years.

Note the lever sitting in the halfway position - this is the 2 minute time delay in action as the signalman has replaced the lever without the track circuits having proved a train has passed the signal. This ‘backlock’ feature ensures that if the signal is replaced to danger in front of a train (meaning it’s unlikely to be able to stop at the signal)  the signalman cannot immediately start moving points and derailing the train. 

43F19690-FADE-401C-885A-B7B02A71E818.jpeg

76BFBC17-3701-43E7-BE3E-C65B89639F94.jpeg

7EB59CDB-76BE-4CEE-942F-B6182F936CBB.jpeg

E9E9C9AB-846B-4A95-95F4-70E9B6F68A5D.jpeg

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

And here are external views of Reigate box.

Reigate2020 (15).jpg

Reigate2020 (25).jpg

The reproduction BR(S) enamel nameboard being bought by the aforementioned long time resident signalman - paid for out of his own cash.

• Like 9

Stourbridge Jn  Middle is still with us, now used by Chiltern Railways I believe.

Kingswinford Sth was burnt down and was a Portkabin for its final years.

I remember visiting it once in the mids 90s and the railway was like a local footpath, The fax machine kept being stolen and there was a syringe stuck in the corner post of the box nearest the camera in POB's picture. Lovely area

Back in the early 90s I visited Eagle Lane. The remains of the box were there, burnt out and some of the level crossing equiment remained, heavily vandalised and now all below the Black Country route flyover.  I was quite surprised to find that much left, unfortunatley I didn't have a camera with me

One day I may revisit if I am feeling brave.

It was in 2014  that myself and two friends decided to capture as many of the rapidly disapppearing boxes on film from all 4 sides if legally possible. Hoping to stay one step ahead of Network Rail's modernisation program.  One memorable 3 day stint saw us cover most of Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex,  83 (IIRC) boxes and crossings in all.

Some photos are good, some ropey due to not being able to get too close, or being in fading light, but at least they are a record.

It's an ongoing process. but all on hold at present and it is nice to see some here that we missed out on or never thought to photograph all those years ago when the train was the focus

Here are some more photos from my travels, all from 2014

I would just add that all my photos are taken  from publicly accessible places , from land entered with the owner's permission, during offical business or on guided visits

Keadby Canal Junction

254471454_KeadbyCanalJnsummer2014.JPG.3dda2e7296e22c5b0b63ea1ed15ab3bc.JPG

Stow Park

653977827_StowParksummer2014.JPG.d6e21b7b481c919f8425dd9ba22c8d93.JPG

Thrumpton

135904938_RetfordThrumptonSummer2014.JPG.2bcb6723b54dff8b4097623a848384f5.JPG

Baguley Fold

2049133514_BaguleyFoldJnSummer2014.JPG.bf34b59d5d3b27739a6bfc17da2fb2f3.JPG

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 19