Signal Box Photos

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Centre pivot arms on those signals at Bewdley North.

Normal arms on the platform end ones would risk bopping passengers on the bonce when the signal is pulled off.  The other is presumably done that way for sighting reasons under the footbridge.

They are sufficiently high that you would have to be jumping high to get hit, lol. You are right about the one at the end of platform 2. There used to be a repeater on the footbridge. Its very rare to go in the down from platform 2 . 

A couple more from growing up in Manchester.

Hyde Road which was on the triangle from the Woodhead route to Reddish Depot and on to originally Manchester Central. It has been out of use for some time, but was painted up when a Docklands unit ran in Manchester as a trial prior to the trams being given the go ahead. Note it was built on stilts into the side of the bank.

674920486_LNERHydeRoad(Manchester)March1987a.jpg.5af0722a4a9b0ecd80344836875d8921.jpg

871276460_LNERHydeRoad(Manchester)March1987b.jpg.f199b94dd8198524815a7f420a575651.jpg

Just up the road was guide Bridge which kept one of its' boxes to quite late. Note it was originally called 'Ashton Junction' before Guide Bridge. I walked behind this box many times to reach the stabling point to view the class 76 electrics all lined up.

Mike Wiltshire

1987806586_LNERGuidebridgeBoxMarch1987alr.jpg.437fc627fb4cdc73060bcbab1cdd0fe3.jpg1844758940_LNERGuideBride(Manchester)Feb1997b.jpg.4a1dc511dae93f416d078791bb1adfce.jpg427216570_LNERGuideBride(Manchester)Feb1997c.jpg.3350cb0bc95c1da50dd0b6cbae475a9b.jpg

• Like 18

A good friend of mine has posted some pictures that have jogged some grey cells..

Horsemoor's first and only colour light.

In the good old days i couldn't wait to finish work (in Stevenage) and head to March for my evening's entertainment. I'd jump on my motorbike  at least three evenings a week and usually end up working one of the March boxes. I decided to buy Horsemoor when it closed. The leverframe was completely intact with no short levers. The problem was during the stageworks it would gain a colourlight distant on the up for two weeks. I fought tooth and nail to prevent the lever being cut down. All the signalmen agreed to accept the arrangements in the photo. Red tape and a reminder note on the blockshelf..

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, iands said:

Interesting 2nd photo of Rhyl No.2 'box (with Bahamas in foreground). The 'box looks to be out-of-use, but is that a fire escape up the end wall?

Yes - big LNWR boxes which only had internal stairs were fitted with fire escapes (in the 1970s/80s iirc)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, iands said:

Interesting 2nd photo of Rhyl No.2 'box (with Bahamas in foreground). The 'box looks to be out-of-use, but is that a fire escape up the end wall?

The 'box would appear to be out of use, looking at the number of broken windows visible in the first photo, and the removal of the name boards.

As mentioned, I have other photos still to scan, they are from 1987 when the 'box was still in use but no fires escape at the west end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1