Signal Box Photos

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2021 at 22:16, micknich2003 said:

Wranbrook Jct H&BRly was an interesting location and I'm sure it could also be transformed in to an interesting model, plenty of scope for watching trains and if you wanted engines running round and shunting complete trains from on branch to another. From 1958 the line was severed at the tunnel mouth but traffic continued. I'm of the opinion the signalbox was widened at sometime, probably c1900 when the Wath Branch was added. Also worthy of comment is the us of "Push and Pull" levers on a Saxby 1888 Duplex frame. 

WRANGBROOK Jct Signalling.jpg

Hi Mick, we're they goods lines with the spring points 

Cheers 

Russ 

35 minutes ago, russ p said:

Hi Mick, we're they goods lines with the spring points 

Cheers 

Russ 

Both Branches originally had passenger traffic and signalboxes etc, see attached. Both signalboxes were closed c1938 and the remains transferred to the Junction signalbox, If I can help further please ask. 

35 minutes ago, russ p said:

47 WRANGBROOK WEST.JPG

67 WRANGBROOK SOUTH.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Both Branches originally had passenger traffic and signalboxes etc, see attached. Both signalboxes were closed c1938 and the remains transferred to the Junction signalbox, If I can help further please ask. 

47 WRANGBROOK WEST.JPG

67 WRANGBROOK SOUTH.JPG

Did passenger trains use the spring points mick? 

Russ, no, passenger traffic had long ceased on both lines when the Spring Points were installed. Two locations were Spring Points were used on passenger lines come to mind, Staddlethorpe Jct, and Kirkella Cutting, in both cases in the trailing direction only. if used in the Facing Direction during for example Single Line Working, they would be clamped and scotched.

• Thanks 1

Locomotive Jct, H&BRly 1885 to 1964. I wonder how many Locomotive Jcts or Engine Shed Jcts there once where in the UK? Some railways had more than one. The biggest was York Locomotive, 295 levers, 1909 to 1951, world wide the largest ever mechanical installation.

LOCO Jct .jpg

1 LOCO JUNCTION SYX SIGNAL 300DPI.jpg

• Like 18

A random image, certainly not the best, I found PM today. 

Immingham West Junction 8/92 

Interesting as looks a fairly typical ex GCR box but in ABP colours.

I think the reception sidings box (dont have image) is in same generic ABP colours. 

Scan 48.jpeg

• Like 14

It's great to see the H&BR postings by mick; an area I know nothing about.

Thanks for the kind comment. The H&BRly has to coin a phrase been my life's work and not only signalling.

I recommend anyone wanting to know more, to seek out a copy of Nick Fleetwood' H&BRly Signalling book, the infinitive work on the subject. Copy's can be obtained from the North Eastern Railway Assoc, see their web site.

• Like 1

Little Weighton opened with the line in 1885 and was closed as a Block Post April 1959 when the line west was severed. it was then worked as a GF until the line finally closed in July 1964. Originally fitted with a S&F "Rocker" frame, this was replaced with M&H No16 App by the LNERly.

2016-12-05 13.57.20.jpg

LITTLE WEIGHTON Signalling 1943.jpg

Little Weighton X.jpg

LITTLE WEIGHTON SB 20 8 1963.jpg

20 LITTLE WEIGHTON.JPG

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

For a change, a visit to the former North Eastern Rly Scarborough Branch and Beverley Cherry Tree.  This is the replacement signalbox of c1911  closed mid '80's and now plain though the level crossing remains and is worked by CCRV from Beverley signalbox.

1 CHERRY TREE 1895 .jpg

1 CHERRY TREE 1972.jpg

CHERRY TREE Type 3 1980.jpg

CHERRY TREE c1912.jpg

S31 CHERRY TREE Frame 1 May 1983.jpg

13 CHERRY TREE Frame 1 May 1983.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Bristol Temple Meads....

924749679_BristolTMOriginalBrunelTrainShedSB.jpg.6b16eb9c1905d9971d74c25bebadce63.jpg

Properly Bristol Old Station, of Midland Railway origin but with a GWR frame since 1908, and closed in 1965

Edited by 4069
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1