Signal Box Photos

23 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Nantwich Station, not sure if it's LNWR or LMS, 22 July 1984

23 hours ago, Moxy said:

I think that's an LNWR box.

22 hours ago, 4069 said:

Neither LNWR nor LMS- it's actually BR LMR, having opened in 1948.

Looking on the interweb for info, some say the box was secondhand, ex Wem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One from my archive. A care-worn Greetland Jnc SB taken on 30-04-1998. The 'box was not regularly manned at this time. Me and a colleague were undertaking a telecoms survey on the Dryclough Jnc-Greetland Jnc-Bradley Wood Jnc-Bradley Jcn route in connection with reopening this route again for a Bradford Interchange-Halifax-Huddersfield service.

541593148_GreetlandSBexternalview30-04-1998.jpg.6915d9150a1b9c1aa52e25cd785aae26.jpg

The line that disappears off the left edge of the photo is to Milner Royd Jcn, the line curving round the far side of the relay room is to Dryclough Jnc (then to Halifax), and the line disappearing off to the right leads to Elland SB and Bradley Wood Jnc (then on to Heaton Lodge and Mirfield), and form Bradley Wood Jnc a single line to Bradley Jnc and Huddersfield. The guy on the cherry-picker was a BT contractor attending a line fault for a circuit into the 'box.

188517973_GreetlandSBviewofblockshelf30-04-1998.jpg.5297605b5c36a24c7eff37e5a48ef741.jpg

This is a view of the block shelf with two telecoms concentrators on it. The left-hand one was for direct lines to other signal boxes and point zone telephones, the right-hand one was a Selective SPT concentrator - with a circuit lit up, another fault!

The pieces of timber on the far right of the block shelf are scotch-blocks used for "clipping and scotching" points.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Irwell Bridge Sidings, opposite Manchester Exchange station, 8 Aug 1984. Looks like it could be an old brick base with a replacement top.

282739763_2011-05-04_222IrwellBridgeSidings8Aug1984-8409.JPG.aabf7366ecf59a9a17bb76f78258964c.JPG

Apparently it was built like that, link here

https://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Manchester_Irwell_Bridge_Siding_GF.html

If I were in the office instead of working from home, I would be able to look over the site of Irwell Bridge Sidings, because our office is built on what is the site of Manchester Exchange station.

Edited by Moxy
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1