Signal Box Photos

10 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Irwell Bridge Sidings, opposite Manchester Exchange station, 8 Aug 1984. Looks like it could be an old brick base with a replacement top.

282739763_2011-05-04_222IrwellBridgeSidings8Aug1984-8409.JPG.aabf7366ecf59a9a17bb76f78258964c.JPG

That photo belongs in the "When the real thing looks like model" thread. Even the background looks like printed backscene.

steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2021 at 19:36, Vanfit said:

Some East Anglia SBs - 1984

859106838_03(5).JPG.8cd8e171b1cafaea1a18768f5d7bd0ad.JPG

This shot is brilliant. Look at the signal on the old platform.

Its a restricted clearance one. Note the shorter than normal arm. 

It is also motor worked, its got a BPRS Co motor on it (at right angles to the post) direct driving the bounce bar by a really short length of wire. 

Interestingly this is just the photo I need, as I have one of those motors, and the fittings for arm (but not the arm itself). And the site I want to put it, means that the motor will be mounted just like this.

Can we identify where this is please?

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, uax6 said:

It is also motor worked, its got a BPRS Co motor on it (at right angles to the post) direct driving the bounce bar by a really short length of wire. 

Interestingly this is just the photo I need, as I have one of those motors, and the fittings for arm (but not the arm itself). And the site I want to put it, means that the motor will be mounted just like this.

Andy G

I think that it is "Dovercourt" on the single line from "Parkstone" branch.

Terry.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Hi Andy,

Definitely Dovercourt, I think it might have been called Dovercourt Bay at one time. I wonder if that signal is 'special' 3ft arm for Non Passenger moves reading onto what looks as if it might be the single line with a through siding alongside. I cant see the Facing Point Lock that would have to be provided for Passenger moves on the points directly ahead of it but the picture is rather dark in that vicinity. There was probably enough room to provide a full size arm if the post was moved away from the line just a little, something the Signal Sighting Committee (or in those days perhaps the S&T New Works Supervisor and Signalling/Traffic Inspector) would have considered. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can help. But for all that what an interesting signal and what a great place it was to send an hour or so.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I travelled there back in the late 70's early 80's to visit my grandparents and it was at that time known as Dovercourt. It changed from Dovercourt Bay in 1972.

I've lightened the photo quite a bit, it shows something in the four foot at the far end of the crossover but nothing closest to the camera.

Never saw any passenger train's on the right hand line, only freight, usually containers or car carriers.

859106838_03(5).JPG.8cd8e171b1cafaea1a18768f5d7bd0ad.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 73c said:

I travelled there back in the late 70's early 80's to visit my grandparents and it was at that time known as Dovercourt. It changed from Dovercourt Bay in 1972.

I've lightened the photo quite a bit, it shows something in the four foot at the far end of the crossover but nothing closest to the camera.

Never saw any passenger train's on the right hand line, only freight, usually containers or car carriers.

Note also there is only one point rod going to the nearer point, no FPL.

September 1983. Leamington Spa SB, was Leamington Spa North SB until it took over control of what remained of the layout at the south of the station sometime in the mid/late 1960s(?) Can just make out 'North' painted out on the SB name.

1379033835_05(17).JPG.a38fff1deb6e3b4d542bb479e3a093b4.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Vanfit said:

September 1983. Leamington Spa SB, was Leamington Spa North SB until it took over control of what remained of the layout at the south of the station sometime in the mid/late 1960s(?) Can just make out 'North' painted out on the SB name.

It had the first SSI installation - in 1985

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 73c said:

I believe latterly the section between Parkeston Quay and Harwich Town (through Dovercourt) was worked as two bi directional single lines with the 'seaward' line being for freight and the other for passenger.  The freight being mainly for the Train Ferry at Harwich Town.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

I believe latterly the section between Parkeston Quay and Harwich Town (through Dovercourt) was worked as two bi directional single lines with the 'seaward' line being for freight and the other for passenger.  The freight being mainly for the Train Ferry at Harwich Town.

The photo taken from the DMU clearly shows that it is taken looking backwards along the train and the train is running what would be wrong road if it was worked as a double track line. The signal behind the train (which is on the wrong side of the track) shows a main arm cleared for the unit and a shunt arm for the crossover. 

Andi

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, beast66606 said:

It had the first SSI installation - in 1985

As matter of interest, what happened when the junction went in for the Coventry line when Avenue station was closed? Was the existing frame re-locked, or was there a panel?

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 2251 said:

As matter of interest, what happened when the junction went in for the Coventry line when Avenue station was closed? Was the existing frame re-locked, or was there a panel?

The frame at Leamington remained in use until the SSI pilot scheme was installed about 20 years after the new junction was put in. After the new junction job the signalling and locking got altered further for Saltley resignalling in 1969, the singling of the Coventry line in 1972, the lengthening of the Up loop and the abolition of Fosse Road box c1974/5. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The frame at Leamington remained in use until the SSI pilot scheme was installed about 20 years after the new junction was put in. After the new junction job the signalling and locking got altered further for Saltley resignalling in 1969, the singling of the Coventry line in 1972, the lengthening of the Up loop and the abolition of Fosse Road box c1974/5. 

Many thanks -- that is very informative. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2251 said:

Many thanks -- that is very informative. 

I was the designer / design engineer for all jobs at Leamington from the Coventry line singling, Fosse Road abolition, various signal renewals and track circuiting to Fenny Compton up to the preparation of the existing lineside signalling for interfacing with the SSI.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2