Signal Box Photos

One more from 2014

Moss on the ECML

There is a little bit of an attachment to this one as way back in 1984, we stayed on a small 5 van caravan site at the pub (The Star?)  just yards up the road from this crossing. The purpose of staying in such a place was Doncaster Works open day and dad had worked this into the family holiday and finding a site at a pub made him very happy, as he didn't have to drive back and near the railway made me happy

A 14 year old me was very taken by this little box,( but no photographs from then as I was saving my 110 film for the open day) and returning in 2014 was glad to see it still there, a little altered in the interim it seems

827590616_MossAug2014.JPG.542b221b6d69f68b56135fa5f17ef14a.JPG

Andy

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Cinderland Crossing, near Altrincham/Manchester on the ex Skelton Jnc to Warrington line. The line had already been closed in 1985. The box is long gone and the line is under a retail park now.

Mike Wiltshire

The signal box was spelt Sinderland as seen on the box diagram which is in my collection

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61212-signalling/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-857332

Edited by beast66606

9 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

The signal box was spelt Sinderland as seen on the box diagram which is in my collection

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61212-signalling/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-857332

When opened it was called Cinderland. Officially the name was changed but I gather the name board was never altered . Google images came up with a shot with the name board on Flikr showing it as Cinderland. The cottage seen in the background is for sale and listed as Cinderland Crossing Cottage despite the area is Sinderland.

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Premium

And it is still marked as Cinderland Crossing cottage on Google Earth despite there being Sinderland Lane and Sinderland Road nearby.

Not really my area of interest but it rang a bell - quite close to Partington where the EMGS held some of its EXPO EM North events.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

The shot of Penistone with that Vauxhall Viva van outside brings back memories of when I had to drive one for a living .It was the worst vehicle I  have ever driven the drivers seat  caused  my back to be damaged and I am still sufferring now and I drove the thing in 1974 .I still shudder when I see one!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Torside, with an Allegro. Ridiculed for a square steering wheel  which nowadays seems quite common. 

Some really nice boxes there. I occasionally photographed more boxes back in the 80s but the trains always got in the way. 

Bowled

Andy

Edited by SM42

A little montage/collection of ex NER boxes. Some come with detail but most don't I'm afraid

Filey 8/88 

Hull Walton St 8/86 

Driffield ?

Melton Lane ? (possibly around time I managed to get to see locomotives and wagons at cement works) 

Hutton Cranswick late 86 

Nafferton again late 86 (around this time worked in Beverley Westwood Hospital and also started noting some of the G T Andrews architecture buildings in the area) 

Scan 25.jpeg

Scan 26.jpeg

Scan 27.jpeg

• Like 15

Trowse Swing Bridge Junction : 09/08/1986

185.09.jpg

Galway ( R.o.I.) : 13/05/1990

438.14.jpg

That's Banavie 15/9/81, Clachnaharry 29/9/82, Folkestone Harbour 24/6/84,  Trowse Swing Bridge Junction 9/8/86 & Galway 13/5/90 ...... all had swing bridges - though Galway hadn't been swung for many a year.

Sorry - had to split to get within 10MB limit !

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 16

Couple of randoms and no idea of date

Stallingborough and box didn't last that much longer as demolished and new one built before it fell over 

Hensall on Goole to Knottingley line no idea why I stopped here, seem to recall station was covered in old large enamel signs though? 

Scan 28.jpeg

Edited by DOCJACOB
spelling
  • Like 14

Stallingborough new box in 2014. Not bad really. Better than a Portakabin and looks to be opposite the site of the old box both in terms of the line and the road,

352659755_Stallingborough2014.JPG.6efe1480c6279f7ddc9004bc4b027914.JPG

Some of the more obscure boxes from the same, wider locale

Pyewipe Road Crossing (what a name)

970880592_PyewipeRoadCrossing2014.JPG.1895f341f97279d2bc78a02864f1b1e0.JPG

Great Coates Sidings No 1 ( a real over the bridge parapet, camera above head, at arms length shot, hence the slightly odd framing.) Bet it was noisy when it rained

477001128_GreatCoatesSidings2014.JPG.4303a57151b520e6288adcc56ed6826e.JPG

Barrow Road Crossing

1247753871_BarrowRoadCrossing2014.JPG.772690df30502ce352c04f628e25f6c7.JPG

Andy

• Like 19

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Pyewipe Road Crossing (what a name)

Pyewipe is one of the many local names for the bird species the lapwing (after its behaviour) or peewit/pewit (after its call).

Also named for its call in German (Kiebitz), Dutch (kievit, kieviet), and probably other languages too

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DOCJACOB said:

Couple of randoms and no idea of date

Stallingborough and box didn't last that much longer as demolished and new one built before it fell over 

Hensall on Goole to Knottingley line no idea why I stopped here, seem to recall station was covered in old large enamel signs though? 

Scan 28.jpeg

Re Strensall, I believe the station building is now a private house and the owner has a collection of signs etc. on display.

• Informative/Useful 1

A shot of the inside of Par box taken on a site visit in 2016.

I also got the chance to visit Exeter Panel and Plymouth Panel but appear to have neglected to take a photo of either!

IMG_20160120_115958_hdr.jpg

Edited by Afroal05
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Pyewipe is one of the many local names for the bird species the lapwing (after its behaviour) or peewit/pewit (after its call).

Also named for its call in German (Kiebitz), Dutch (kievit, kieviet), and probably other languages too

When I first started seeing the current Mrs. W.A. she lived in a road called Kiwittstraße, Kiwitt being the “plattdeutsch” or “low-German” word for the same bird. Off-topic and probably not that interesting but there you go. 

• Informative/Useful 2