An Ambulance load in 1955

Stentor

I’ve been looking for a suitable load for a Lowmac wagon around 1955 in East Anglia.

I have recently seen a couple of photographs, taken in the 60s, showing a new civilian ambulance and a Royal Navy ambulance being delivered by rail.

So three questions:

1. Were ambulances delivered by rail in the mid 50s?

2. Which makes and models would they have likely been?

3. Are any suitable models available in 4mm scale?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

//Simon

• RMweb Premium

They were probably on delivery from the makers of the ambulance bodies. The most common chassis chosen for ambulances was the BMC LD or the Bedford J. There were several body builders producing ambulance bodies. Oxford Diecast make a model of the Bedford J ambulance.

• Thanks 1

BW Models did a Wadham Stringer ambulance, but hard to find nowadays and often quite expensive. Likewise, Rod Parker did a BMC LD ambulance, again out of production. Check out JOHN DAY MODELS website - there are several ambulances in the range, and perfectly suited to the 1950s. As an alternative, what about some item of agricultural machinery such as Oxford's Massey Harris Combine Harvester with the cutting head removed for transport?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is also this model from Hong Kong.

image.png.222fa9944828c5f6252fec4f265f2edb.png

Item number on E-bay.

Can I just say thanks for the heads up on these models?  That mid 80s to early 90s style of meat wagon is missing from the Oxford range and was just what I was looking for, a bit of paint and some decals should Anglicise it nicely.  One now en-route from Honkers to Wales as we speak!

• Like 1

If you can't find an ambulance, then military/ Civil Defence vehicles were common loads. There were large holding depots around the country, which would dispatch new/ overhauled vehicles as required, often as a single wagon load. One of the David Larkin 'Working Wagon' series has a Bedford military bus, an runway sweeper and a fuel bowser, being carried on assortment of wagons from 'somewhere in Kent'. One of the road vehicles had been dropped in by crane, as it was on a bogie well wagon.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Can I just say thanks for the heads up on these models?  That mid 80s to early 90s style of meat wagon is missing from the Oxford range and was just what I was looking for, a bit of paint and some decals should Anglicise it nicely.  One now en-route from Honkers to Wales as we speak!

A bit of T-cut on a cotton bud should get rid of the Chinese writing then a good clean and add your own transfers as required. FYI they also produce a minibus in HK police colours and a van in HK fire brigade colours. TINY HK are every bit as good as Oxford but can be expensive as they are intended for the 'home' market and do not have an importer so are only available via Hong Kong traders on E-bay.

I was thinking T-Cut and Kingfisher models do some 1:76 ambulance decals for military and civilian use which includes the plain "Ambulance" legend to replace the "Fire Service Ambulance" on the model.

I have come across Tiny before but not this specific model of ambulance so it was a good find.  Mine will work out at £15 which isn't too bad considering.  That said, we'll probably see Oxford announce one for a fiver now.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who answered especially to Philjw, Fodenway and Modelldoc.

The John Day Models site is a real treasure chest for this and I’m going to go for a Morris LC ambulance which is bang on for my time range of mid 50s.

// Simon

• Like 1