Farkham - The Retirement Years

Lady_Farkham

Thanks for all the replies.

Just before Christmas, I started to work on 47 238 'Bescot Yard'. While removing the windows in the usual way, part of the door cracked and came off with the glazing. I decided to cut the rest of the door out and have an open cab door. This required part of the chassis to be cut out, the cab interiors to be modified, and the lighting circuit board needed to be hidden from view. A rummage in the spares box found a class 56 door, so this was modified and painted. A new cab floor was also made. 
The window surrounds and bufferbeam edging were brush painted white with a good quality brush and a very steady hand.

More on my blog about the techniques I used :

🌍 Farkham.co.uk - Bescot 47

IMG_20201210_103932.jpg

IMG_20201227_112456.jpg

IMG_20201227_112257.jpg

IMG_20201227_112236.jpg

IMG_20201227_112223.jpg

Edited by Lady_Farkham
Added link
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. 

Not had much time for modelling this month unfortunately. 

I have started the weathering on my resprayed 08 928. I've added a base covering with the airbrush, but will add some oily streaks in places before I say it's finished. 

More info on my blog:

🌍 Farkham.co.uk - 08928

IMG_20210128_151259.jpg

IMG_20210116_153201.jpg

IMG_20210116_152436.jpg

Edited by Lady_Farkham
Add missing photos
  • Like 19

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Not much has been going on here unfortunately due to work commitments etc. As usual, I am part way through several modelling projects, and I hope time allows me to get some of them finished in the next few days.

Meanwhile, here's 47825 'Thomas Telford' which I did before Christmas. It started life as Bachmann 47835 'Windsor Castle'. Intercity Swallow branding removed and the cab fronts were masked and sprayed yellow. New numbers, nameplates, screw link couplings and bufferbeam pipework added. Also swapped the fuel tanks with the correct one for this loco.

IMG_20210225_090608.jpg

Edited by Lady_Farkham
Add missing photo
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Nice one Lucy !

When the conditions allow are you planning on taking Farkham to shows, or is it static now ?

It is definitely a stay at home layout now. It would be too much to keep taking it down and setting it back up again, especially once it becomes a tail chaser.

• Like 2

This morning I've been going through my stock storage boxes having a sort out of what to do next. 

Making a list for parts and transfers etc. 

I couldn't resist getting 37 013 'Vampire' out for a brief run. 

IMG_20210317_100929.jpg

IMG_20210317_101010.jpg

IMG_20210317_101025.jpg

Edited by Lady_Farkham
Add missing photos
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Day 1 of 365: Happy New Year!

Last year I did ZERO modelling, due to having a child. Hopefully, this year I can find some time to at least do a little but often. So today, I did something and started to rebrand this Polybulk.

Some way to go yet, but it's a start 🥃

IMG_20230101_192250.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lady_Farkham said:

Last year I did ZERO modelling, due to having a child.

That’s a pretty good excuse in my book.  Congratulations.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Lady_Farkham said:

Day 1 of 365: Happy New Year!

Last year I did ZERO modelling, due to having a child. Hopefully, this year I can find some time to at least do a little but often. So today, I did something and started to rebrand this Polybulk.

Some way to go yet, but it's a start 🥃

IMG_20230101_192250.jpg

I thought the excuse for buying a train set was having a child, not the other way round?!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Day 2 of 365:
Only a few small jobs done this evening. Smiths Screw/Instanter couplings fitted to a few more wagons. Also removed a few more of the smaller printed details on the Polybulk, ready for gloss varnish tomorrow. Hopefully, transfers will arrive in the next few days.

IMG_20230102_201510.jpg

• Like 8

Day 3 of 365:
This arrived yesterday. My boxing day sales 'bargain' purchase at £14.99. 
I originally bought it with the intention of repainting it into Project Mercury to match my pipe wagons. I've since decided to keep the olive green, but fade the paint, just for variety in the Project Mercury train. I wasn't happy with the bent handrails, so they were removed and the holes enlarged, and reglued. Massive improvement! 
Screw links and vac pipe fitted. 

IMG_20230103_202659.jpg

IMG_20230103_204225.jpg

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

Hi Lucy. 
Congratulations on your new arrival. 
Enjoying following the progress. Can I ask what method you used to fade the paint on the brake van?

Regards. 
Bill. 

Hi Bill. 

I usually start with the airbrush, and blow a light coat of light grey. Then a light coat of the faded bodyside colour. That's the base, so I'll apply bits for weathering at this point. Rust patches etc. Then, I'll mix a pale wash and after that's dry I'll manipulate it with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. 

• Tempfix

Hi Lucy. Congratulations - and well done for finding a bit of time for modelling. I got very little done when mine arrived, and now they’re at the stage of ‘helping’ I sometimes manage even less! 
Good luck with the wagons, I’ve got a Pike on the go at the moment too.

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Hi Lucy. Congratulations - and well done for finding a bit of time for modelling. I got very little done when mine arrived, and now they’re at the stage of ‘helping’ I sometimes manage even less! 
Good luck with the wagons, I’ve got a Pike on the go at the moment too.

Rich

I'm looking forward to a time when we can 'play trains'. 

Currently not had a good night sleep for 10 nights in a row. 😢

Yesterday I finished some ice-cream before realising I'd eaten it with a fork. 

This morning, I've realised I've fitted vac pipes to an unfitted ZTO. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Tempfix
1 hour ago, Lady_Farkham said:

I'm looking forward to a time when we can 'play trains'. 

Currently not had a good night sleep for 10 nights in a row. 😢

I know it doesn’t seem possible in the middle of the night, but all the challenges like not sleeping do pass in time. 
When you’re on the other side of this one you’ll be surprised how functional you were on so little!

Rich