Hornby 2021 - Railroad and Railroad Plus

AY Mod

Good moves with regards to the modern era items (though I still think an HST should be in there in some form).

Steam era a little disappointing, I'd have liked to have seen the return of the Jinty and the Pannier, as well as the (old) Terrier and the Austerity being added to the range.

34 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Ah, looking on phone at work so cant have sound...... do you want to tell me what it is? 

All Hornby Railroad PLUS models come with a full spec paint job and etched name plates. Eg: All modern era locos will have warning flashes, data panels etc. All steam locos will have full detail banding and lining rather than simplified and so on. And ofcourse etched name plates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KDG said:

37510 Orion - is the model the correct split headcode body variant, or generic Limby centre headcode?

I hope neither.

The real thing has had its headcode boxes removed, end doors plated over and lights directly in the nose.

Railroad plus 47’s in 2020 were generally well researched, so i’d expect these to be as well. They have selected their choices quite well, as they've avoided what Bachmann's already done.  I think I could find home for 47593.

Colas 37521 looks like a bear trap.. Bachmann ones are shelfware, as the real thing joined LSL, was painted green and joined 47593 and the RCS mk3’s in Cumbria... 

ROG 47.. Bachmann or Heljan will do it. 97/3.. too far from credible...

Edited by adb968008

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

I hope neither.

The real thing has had its headcode boxes removed, end doors plated over and lights directly in the nose.

Railroad plus 47’s in 2020 were generally well researched, so i’d expect these to be as well. They have selected their choices quite well, as they've avoided what Bachmann's already done.  I think I could find home for 47593.

Colas 37521 looks like a bear trap.. Bachmann ones are shelfware, as the real thing joined LSL, was painted green and joined 47593 and the RCS mk3’s in Cumbria... 

ROG 47.. Bachmann or Heljan will do it, 97/3.. too far from credible.

You are of course correct ADB, thank you for that, it just looks like, side on that Hornby have used a centre headcode box body shell for 37510. They must have a better ex lima bodyshell that would be more appropriate?

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, KDG said:

You are of course correct ADB, thank you for that, it just looks like, side on that Hornby have used a centre headcode box body shell for 37510. They must have a better ex lima bodyshell that would be more appropriate?

Lima definitely had the right nose. (37501/2/11/15 were all done by Lima).

i dont think Ive seen Hornby use it, but no reason why not, theyve used 37/4, 37/0 (centre and split) before.

If they get it right, I’m on the fence about it.. Accurascale hasnt announced one (but are doing ROG 37/6), Bachmann has done ROG 37/8 (and Europhoenix)... Do I want this one... its a maybe, but if its right, I can imagine it being very popular as a cheap option for a lot of modellers.

However the risk is there...

All 3x 97/3 were non-refurbished examples for a start.. the image above is a refurbished tooling. Ignoring the mods between the bogies, the nose end grills should be two long at one end, too short at the other.
The refurb saw the grills modified to be equal at both cab ends, in the style of the above image. They should be able to do this at least.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Good moves with regards to the modern era items (though I still think an HST should be in there in some form).

Steam era a little disappointing, I'd have liked to have seen the return of the Jinty and the Pannier, as well as the (old) Terrier and the Austerity being added to the range.

I think knthey're waiting to see how the EFE Austerities go, then they'll put theirs on sale at a cynical £20-£30 cheaper.

Good to see more of the Ex Lima 47s being produced - I'll consider using some of the upgraded chassis under some of my Lima 47s. But... 57305. I have to ask, Why? It'll be a yellow Class 47. I know this is the RailRoad range, but to me at least it seems to be another oddity. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eldomtom2 said:

If it had to be green, surely it could at least be SR green? And they probably haven't made the generic smokebox door they're using for this and Percy an E2 one either...

It's a perverse choice, especially when you consider that the E2 based starter set freelance 'Thomas' 0-4-0T has already been released in March umber with an E2 number.

• RMweb Gold

A thought: when Bachmann released its Thomas and Percy models as generic industrial tanks a few years ago it got into a certain amount of bother with the then-owners of the Awdry licence and had to withdraw them, so it's interesting that Hornby is now doing the same thing. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

A thought: when Bachmann released its Thomas and Percy models as generic industrial tanks a few years ago it got into a certain amount of bother with the then-owners of the Awdry licence and had to withdraw them, so it's interesting that Hornby is now doing the same thing. 

I would assume (always a dangerous thing) that as Hornby no longer have the licence, then they are no longer bound by any agreement not to use the tooling for other non-Thomas models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gordon Connell said:

I would assume (always a dangerous thing) that as Hornby no longer have the licence, then they are no longer bound by any agreement not to use the tooling for other non-Thomas models.

They've been using the Thomas 0-4-0T for a decade or so. It may be that the deal they struck with Britt Alcroft back in 1984 was nowhere near as stringent as Bachmann's deal with whichever American company held it when they got the American licence.

Looks like a centre headcode box on 37510 from the video - following form with the GBRf 73/9s which look to be on 73/1 bodies, and 20905 which seems not to be a centre headcode version. Of course possible that these are just livery samples.

Personally up for the two ROG 47s (coming in much cheaper than the Bachmann / Heljan versions and I was impressed enough with this year's GBRf examples for the money.

I'd pre-ordered two 97304s to renumber one to 97302, but tempted to cancel that in favour of Hornby's new announcement and save a job.

Similarly by my reckoning 37510 if centre box could be renumbered to 37800 / 884 / 901 without huge difficulty and come a little closer to the prototype (again, we've got to remain conscious of the fact that these models are coming in around half the cost of the premium versions, and should be judged for prototypical accuracy and features accordingly)...

Edited by RPNaylor0301

25 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

They've been using the Thomas 0-4-0T for a decade or so. It may be that the deal they struck with Britt Alcroft back in 1984 was nowhere near as stringent as Bachmann's deal with whichever American company held it when they got the American licence.

Presumably, I know that under Bachmann's agreement the tools etc. are property of Mattel. I believe that it was not actually HiT who objected to the selling of the debranded Thomas and Percy, but rather Hornby, who claimed that Bachmann was infringing their UK license for Thomas models.

The Bagnall 0-4-0 also first appeared in the Thomas range before appearing in a non-Thomas form, but as the Bagnall-based character it was meant to represent was rather different in design, I have my doubts that it was tooled as a specifically Thomas item.

If all the Thomas toolings are available for use, we could see overscale Railroad J70s and Port of Par locos...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

If it had to be green, surely it could at least be SR green? And they probably haven't made the generic smokebox door they're using for this and Percy an E2 one either...

isn’t this a direct copy of Thomas ? I know the LB&SCR E2 was originally used as basis. But they modified the tanks and the cab as well as adding the face . Looking at this illustration it actually isn’t anything at all other than a generic 0-6-0T . It can’t be an E2 anymore because it retains its tank and cab modifications . Paint it any colour you want SE&CR , LMS red , it doesn’t really represent anything . It’s just a cheap starter loco . I see Percy is appearing in blue too 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, surfsup said:

Good to see more of the Ex Lima 47s being produced - I'll consider using some of the upgraded chassis under some of my Lima 47s. But... 57305. I have to ask, Why? It'll be a yellow Class 47. I know this is the RailRoad range, but to me at least it seems to be another oddity. 

Is it a direct swap do you know?  

• Like 1

If the 2021 Railroad “Limby” 47 is the same as the previous TTS fitted version, then yes.

I fitted a slightly modified Lima green 47 body to a Hornby Railroad TTS fitted 47 chassis. A straight swap. 

F54AE0DD-8CCA-4D72-9D76-D3D3D4B1EA22.jpeg.7628bc895b65a185294ece7ec31b4f32.jpeg

053D6451-F811-4CC4-8ECA-02B1BFE43DEF.jpeg.3a0b9d105d0b38e56e8130e8791ceed6.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added another photo...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Legend said:

isn’t this a direct copy of Thomas ? I know the LB&SCR E2 was originally used as basis. But they modified the tanks and the cab as well as adding the face . Looking at this illustration it actually isn’t anything at all other than a generic 0-6-0T . It can’t be an E2 anymore because it retains its tank and cab modifications . Paint it any colour you want SE&CR , LMS red , it doesn’t really represent anything . It’s just a cheap starter loco . I see Percy is appearing in blue too 

Not sure about the cab, but some E2s did have the extended tanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

If the 2021 Railroad “Limby” 47 is the same as the previous TTS fitted version, then yes.

I fitted a slightly modified Lima green 47 body to a Hornby Railroad TTS fitted 47 chassis. A straight swap. 

053D6451-F811-4CC4-8ECA-02B1BFE43DEF.jpeg.3a0b9d105d0b38e56e8130e8791ceed6.jpeg

Nice work! I bought a few of the RailRoad Ex Blue Pullman 47s when they became cheaper to use under my Lima 47s. A relatively cheap and easy way to upgrade them. I'm surprised Hornby hasn't considered selling the updated chassis separately - the 37, 43 & 47 chassis would certainly come in handy! 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

However the risk is there...

All 3x 97/3 were non-refurbished examples for a start.. the image above is a refurbished tooling. Ignoring the mods between the bogies, the nose end grills should be two long at one end, too short at the other.
The refurb saw the grills modified to be equal at both cab ends, in the style of the above image. They should be able to do this at least.

I am guessing you mean the three ex centre headcode 37s which became 97/3s, as opposed to the fourth which was ex split headcode, then nasally butchered 37100 ?

Didn't realise they had been fitted with refurb style traction motor blower grilles in the nose ends. Harry Needle obviously went to town on them at Barrow Hill.      

• Funny 1

28 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Not sure about the cab, but some E2s did have the extended tanks.

They did. But they made too many changes to the tooling to make it remotely realistic for an E2. As well as the cab, you need to alter things like the smokebox, tank tops, boiler fittings, running plates, splashers, buffer beams, etc.

If you wanted an E2 you would be better trying to find an old version and adding the tanks out of plastikard. Or getting a South Eastern Finecast kit. Far too much work to make it worthwhile otherwise.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am guessing you mean the three ex centre headcode 37s which became 97/3s, as opposed to the fourth which was ex split headcode, then nasally butchered 37100 ?

Didn't realise they had been fitted with refurb style traction motor blower grilles in the nose ends. Harry Needle obviously went to town on them at Barrow Hill.      

no its the opposite.. he didnt, they dont.

But the Hornby image.. does.

Hornby image

Slide33.JPG

flickr image (not mine)

Network Rail Yellow Class 97/3's, 97302 "Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways / Rheilffyrdd Ffestiniog Ac Eryri" & 97304 "John Tiley"

Ignoring between the bogies (tanks / measuring equipment), also consider roof horns, and maybe the roof too.

its railroad, expect compromises, but even Lima had the right non-refurb body, and added roof horns..is it fair to assume they were in Hornbys inventory... they used it in 97301.. though on that occasion they used two long sets of grills. That was Railroad, this is Railroad plus, if the plus means “plus 5 minutes QA”, it would be nice.

Edited by adb968008

39 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Nice work! I bought a few of the RailRoad Ex Blue Pullman 47s when they became cheaper to use under my Lima 47s. A relatively cheap and easy way to upgrade them. I'm surprised Hornby hasn't considered selling the updated chassis separately - the 37, 43 & 47 chassis would certainly come in handy! 

We also have a Lima green 37 body on a Hornby TTS fitted 37 chassis.

We sold off the Hornby bodies, fitted to the Lima chassis, made DCC ready, to recoup some of the outlay on the Hornby models...:)