Hornby 2021 - Railroad and Railroad Plus

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We also have a Lima green 37 body on a Hornby TTS fitted 37 chassis.

We sold off the Hornby bodies, fitted to the Lima chassis, made DCC ready, to recoup some of the outlay on the Hornby models...:)

ive done around 15 class 47’s upgraded chassis for my fleet of 40 Lima bodies.

only mod is to fit the glazing unit, as the railroad motor sits taller and slightly bows out the chassis. Cutting the glazing unit and gluing in the windows solves it.

Ive also done 20 class 31’s, though these are using Railroad 66 motor bogies c£20 and making a cardboard cradle, and cutting a few bits off the Lima 31 bogie.

I was going to do the same with 37’s, but vitrains class 37’s can be as low as £50, and get £20 for the vi body, as you can get £25 for the Lima chassis, with the ebay faff & fees etc it still makes for a very nice upgrade for £15-20 all in... its a slower upgrade process (waiting for models to appear on ebays etc) but very worth it.

RR body cost is negligable, its probably not worth sell chassis separate, indeed I think the standards and quality on some of them, I dont think they cared and assumed they would be sold as upgrades or trainsets...

Railroad plus I think has been very good, indeed I was happy enough to buy the GBRF 47’s last year.. nothing wrong with the paint finish at a discount price I was more than happy to add them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

no its the opposite.. he didnt, they dont.

But the Hornby image.. does.

Ignoring between the bogies (tanks / measuring equipment), also consider roof horns, and maybe the roof too.

its railroad, expect compromises, but even Lima had the right non-refurb body, and added roof horns..is it fair to assume they were in Hornbys inventory... they used it in 97301.. though on that occasion they used two long sets of grills. That was Railroad, this is Railroad plus, if the plus means “plus 5 minutes QA”, it would be nice.

Ahh. I see what you mean. I did think they were unrefurbed bodyshells which HNRC basically overhauled for NR, and would be surprised for HNRC to have handcrafted four sets of "obsolete" grilles. 

Thanks for the correction

• Like 2

A very nice selection of RailRoad and RailRoad plus my eyes opened wide :o Wow to see a BR Class 47 back in BR ScotRail livery Lady Diana Spencer it must have been about 30+ odd years so it is a very welcome return to the range! I had to pre order this! IWow  love the BR Blue Bagnall Shunter as well! Although I have the 2013  red one  (Hatton's Sale about 6 odd years ago!) I don't know if I want another yet!  Note i type fast apologies for any typos!

• Like 1

The ScotRail 47 has the later, yellow warning flashes, dating it to its recent repaint in 2016 onwards. It should therefore be era 11 rather than era 7.

Surprised by the lack of era 8/9 locos in both Railroad and main range. An EWS or Transrail loco would have been nice. Era 11 seems very well catered for this year.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

The ScotRail 47 has the later, yellow warning flashes, dating it to its recent repaint in 2016 onwards. It should therefore be era 11 rather than era 7.

Surprised by the lack of era 8/9 locos in both Railroad and main range. An EWS or Transrail loco would have been nice. Era 11 seems very well catered for this year.

A very subtle observation at a quick glance you wouldn't notice this! Looking at this again I can see this so thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 1

47 583 as it appeared at Stratford open day 11.7.81....

81-480a.JPG.c36daddac29db75e32ab3a1f18702590.JPG

...and as it was found sitting in Platform 4 at Ipswich on Royal Wedding day, 29.7.81, when a lot of people were waiting for the northbound Manchester Boat Train to take us well away from any wedding on the £2 (?) "anywhere on Eastern Region" offer that they ran that day!!

81-512a.JPG.bbd2fb08b44d7e2c781ee50aa82a92fb.JPG

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

A very subtle observation at a quick glance you wouldn't notice this! Looking at this again I can see this so thanks for pointing this out!

The large logo Scottish 47593 is also dated to 2019 onwards, though Hornby are marketing it as such.

It may have been better if these locos were in the standard Railroad range, allowing people to add the small details themselves depending on what era they choose.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2021 at 13:59, scottrains29 said:

The large logo Scottish 47593 is also dated to 2009 onwards, though Hornby are marketing it as such.

It may have been better if these locos were in the standard Railroad range, allowing people to add the small details themselves depending on what era they choose.

47593 is based on the LSL 47 that emerged in 2019 and ran on the S&C this summer.

Hornby have added the Rail Charter Services coaches to go with it.

back dating it to 1990’s condition isnt going to be hard... I think its just the OHLE flashes.

Whilst your at it theres very little preventing you taking these coaches ...

and turning them into these...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

47593 is based on the LSL 47 that emerged in 2019 and ran on the S&C this summer.

Thanks, I meant to say 2019. I wonder if the ED47 seen written on the whiteboard of the Simon Kohler video last week was referring to this loco, being an Eastfield example.

I agree, it wouldn't require much to backdate various 2021 models. A clever way to appeal to a larger market.

• Like 2

It seems there is something odd going on with Scotrail 47  in that its not on Hornbys order form for retailers I was speaking to owner of Scoonie Hobbies today and its not on list and he has asked the rep who can't find the part number either, when you search on Google Hattons show it but Kernows page no longer exists? I am not sure if Hornby have dropped model since Andy was at press day or something else has happened?

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, shunny said:

It seems there is something odd going on with Scotrail 47  in that its not on Hornbys order form for retailers I was speaking to owner of Scoonie Hobbies today and its not on list and he has asked the rep who can't find the part number either, when you search on Google Hattons show it but Kernows page no longer exists? I am not sure if Hornby have dropped model since Andy was at press day or something else has happened?

Same issue with R30046 Class 47 in the Rail Operations Group livery. I cannot find it on the Hornby website, searched for it on Google and only the Hattons listing showed up for me. 

Slide30.JPG.131a909c10dc5af0ede988e44f3b5c54.jpeg.8db3de4385f0ed06b68718f52c09c845.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2021 at 13:39, RyanN91 said:

Yeah  hadn’t spotted that either . Thanks for that . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any truth to the rumours that Railroad plus 47’s are becoming Hornby Website exclusives ?

Ive heard it mentioned today that 47593 / 47/7 and Rail Charter coaches are not being made available to retailers ?

certainly google agrees, only Hattons and Kernow are showing 47593.. no sites list the RCS coaches... except Hornbys.

is that by design or error ?

i seem to have having de-ja-vu.

With 6x2MTs, 6xW1’s, loads of fake coaches “designed clever”, loads of A2’s and in quick succession.. ...and now this story of the 47’s...

It reminds me the “growing the website” “design clever” business and making too many numbers too soon... those memories of 2013 havent even faded yet. ..we've even got a new P2 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Any truth to the rumours that Railroad plus 47’s are becoming Hornby Website exclusives ?

Ive heard it mentioned today that 47593 / 47/7 and Rail Charter coaches are not being made available to retailers ?

certainly google agrees, only Hattons and Kernow are showing 47593.. no sites list the RCS coaches... except Hornbys.

With 6x2MTs, 6xW1’s, loads of fake coaches “designed clever”, loads of A2’s and in quick succession.. ...and now this story of the 47’s...

It reminds me the “growing the website” “design clever” business and making too many numbers too soon... those memories of 2013 havent even faded yet. ..we've even got a new P2 

I hope not, this was one of the small shop gripes from last time round, where customers saw them on Hornby's website and asked to order them to be told no we cannot get them as web exclusive and then 6 months later Hornby dumped excess stock to large retailers only such as Kernow and Hattons and the same customers were asking why they had them in stock and their local shop did not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Hattons have the RCS coaches. They weren’t there initially on launch day but appeared a few days later.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, NaN said:

Hattons have the RCS coaches. They weren’t there initially on launch day but appeared a few days later.

i’m not sure how accurate the site is...

They seem to have a lot of Dublo limited editions... i accidentally added 1000 to my cart and it accepted it ! Where as with 66’s it seem to top out at what they actually have in stock...

So I hope Hattons site is accurate... for both those pre-ordering Dublo, and in the RCS set.

There is more shops to this world than Hattons.. but the coaches don't seem to be sharing it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I asked my local retailler if he could order me a scotrail 47 and he said it wasnt on his ordering sheet. He did say there was a few other things but cant remember what it was he said

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i’m not sure how accurate the site is...

They seem to have a lot of Dublo limited editions... i accidentally added 1000 to my cart and it accepted it ! Where as with 66’s it seem to top out at what they actually have in stock...

So I hope Hattons site is accurate... for both those pre-ordering Dublo, and in the RCS set.

There is more shops to this world than Hattons.. but the coaches don't seem to be sharing it.

Derails have just emailed a newsletter saying Solway Princess, Lady Diana Spencer, and the RCS Coaches are all web exclusives with Hornby.com

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Diana Spencer now sold out at Hornby not coming up on webpage did pre order via hattons but now that may be lost.

Thanks for nothing Hornby!

update the site works and the model is there happy days!!

Edited by Markwj
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

An alternative viewpoint to that is that Hornby have made something popular which has sold out and will no doubt help their profitability to be able to continue developing new models. I'm sure they will be as delighted as you are frustrated.

My issue is if I had known it was a Hornby only web exclusive when the range was launched I would have ordered via Hornby but instead ordered via hattons as advertised in good faith and now Hornby it seems have moved the goal posts. Hopefully if appropriate Hornby can increase the quantity available and I will order via their website.