Hornby 2021 - Railroad and Railroad Plus

AY Mod

Ive just managed to preorder a scotrail 47 on the Hornby site. It dosent show if you search for it but if you go in 2021 releases it does show up there and allow a preorder to be put in.

The site is very slow again tho

Hornby R30079TTS ScotRail, Class 47, Co-Co, 47712 'Lady Diana Spencer' - Era 7 - New for 2021 - Shop

Edited by meatloaf

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Any truth to the rumours that Railroad plus 47’s are becoming Hornby Website exclusives ?

Ive heard it mentioned today that 47593 / 47/7 and Rail Charter coaches are not being made available to retailers ?

certainly google agrees, only Hattons and Kernow are showing 47593.. no sites list the RCS coaches... except Hornbys.

is that by design or error ?

i seem to have having de-ja-vu.

With 6x2MTs, 6xW1’s, loads of fake coaches “designed clever”, loads of A2’s and in quick succession.. ...and now this story of the 47’s...

It reminds me the “growing the website” “design clever” business and making too many numbers too soon... those memories of 2013 havent even faded yet. ..we've even got a new P2 

The RCS coaches are on the Hattons site - just search via coaches and select Era 11 and they appear .... pre-ordered some myself 

Ditto.  Had the headsup from Derails (thanks!) that R30079TTS was only available from Hornby. (I did manage to get R30042TTS on preorder from Derails).  Managed to get one through Hornby.  BTW, Hattons are not the only site that list them for sale.  At the time of writing, Gaugemaster also had them for order.  Kernow have taken their link down.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, cambo74 said:

The RCS coaches are on the Hattons site - just search via coaches and select Era 11 and they appear .... pre-ordered some myself 

let us know how you get on...

In response to some recent questions, there are a few items Hornby have declared as "web exclusives" meaning they can only be ordered from Hornby.com, and unfortunately are not available from retailers -apologies:

Class 47/7 Large Logo, Solway Princess
Railway Charter Services Coaches (Mark 2's and 3's)
Class 47 Scotrail Livery, "Lady Diana Spencer"

indeed this was entirely possible too.. one click and its sold...

only problem is there is only 500 being made.

02074E82-2E65-4838-85BA-6671CAAE3D94.jpeg.e15ca1a06dd29751861fdb0e1ea3bea7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

You know that there's a price break if you order 601?

• Funny 3

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But did you Proceed To Checkout?

As I'm calling BS now.

I had one item over the other day which I had accidentally put in by double clicking and it flagged it up automatically straight away as being out of stock.

Anyone can add loads of things to a basket. Doesn't mean anything.

Jason

8 minutes ago, cambo74 said:

Good to see the Hornby Website is as useless as ever for responding ......... cant get onto the site for love or money .......

They've been having problems for over a week. The Airfix announcement was even delayed because of the problems.

Worth bearing in mind that people are probably working from home rather than being in the office.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2021 at 12:13, JSpencer said:

The A H BETTS number 45 has been done before by Hornby using a detailed wagon. I normally buy everything SECR but will give this a miss.

Edit: and will also give the Ex-'Thomas' E2 in SECR lined green (with H class number!) a miss too.

The previous A & H Betts wagon was no more realistic:

image.png.88e12017e10daddb14873869de6813c8.png

... purporting to be a 10 ton wagon but on the old 10ft wheelbase steel underframe - a flight of fancy. A shame, as the builder's and registration plates are nicely printed. Bachmann's version at least has the merit of being on an accurate wagon:

image.png.a4b4cb66c635dddd90139a9cbe918f33.png

even if it's the wrong wagon -  a 12 tonner.

Has anyone seen a photo of the ex-E2 ex-Thomas in Chatham livery? (Do I want to?)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

On 05/01/2021 at 21:06, papagolfjuliet said:

They've been using the Thomas 0-4-0T for a decade or so. It may be that the deal they struck with Britt Alcroft back in 1984 was nowhere near as stringent as Bachmann's deal with whichever American company held it when they got the American licence.

Bachmann introduced its first Thomas range in 2001 when Thomas was owned by the British company  Gullane Entertainment, formerly known as Britt Allcroft. Of course, the owners of Thomas have more leverage with an existing Thomas licence-holder like Bachmann than a previous one like Hornby. To prevent Hornby using its own moulds for non-Thomas products could look like a restraint of trade. To ask Bachmann not to use its own moulds in the UK market to compete against its then licence holder Hornby there looks sensible.

(Thomas has been owned by US toy company Mattel since 2012. Between 2002 and 2012 it was owned by the British company HiT Entertainment.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But did you Proceed To Checkout?

As I'm calling BS now.

I had one item over the other day which I had accidentally put in by double clicking and it flagged it up automatically straight away as being out of stock.

Anyone can add loads of things to a basket. Doesn't mean anything.

Jason

i dont need to check out, and I thought you would call BS, so I did check my facts before posting..

so, Are you sure...as it wont let me.. try this for instance.

CA651CF0-0363-437B-9242-0DF8DE797343.jpeg.acd5553a0f2bc3a5625eb32f4cd3ee41.jpeg
after this the page refreshes to 1 in my cart.

i think they are all errors (the 47’s, coaches and the MN qties)  at Hattons myself, but we will see...

Certainly several shops are singing from a different hymn sheet to Hattons on these.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Ive just managed to preorder a scotrail 47 on the Hornby site. It dosent show if you search for it but if you go in 2021 releases it does show up there and allow a preorder to be put in.

The site is very slow again tho

Hornby R30079TTS ScotRail, Class 47, Co-Co, 47712 'Lady Diana Spencer' - Era 7 - New for 2021 - Shop

Thanks I keep trying and keep getting bad gateway error and website goes down. Tried multiple browsers something must have broken their website!

2 hours ago, 1andrew1 said:

(Thomas has been owned by US toy company Mattel since 2012. Between 2002 and 2012 it was owned by the British company HiT Entertainment.)

To be completely precise, Thomas has been consistently owned by the same company since 1997, when the Britt Allcroft Company bought the rights to the books from Heinemann Books. The company went through several changes and ownership, and is presently Gullane (Thomas) Ltd, owned by Mattel, which is seemingly a shell company kept around for what are presumably tax/contract reasons.

Utter pedantry, I know...

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Has anyone seen a photo of the ex-E2 ex-Thomas in Chatham livery? (Do I want to?)

Is this what you're after?

R30039_20210105_3652768_Qty1_cat.jpg.acb786b2ed5dc78d71f2ef53f10cf95b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

To be completely precise, Thomas has been consistently owned by the same company since 1997, when the Britt Allcroft Company bought the rights to the books from Heinemann Books. The company went through several changes and ownership, and is presently Gullane (Thomas) Ltd, owned by Mattel, which is seemingly a shell company kept around for what are presumably tax/contract reasons.

Utter pedantry, I know...

You never know when this information might become useful!

Has any other manufacturer ever made the Lady Diana Spencer 47712  in the same livery as the Hornby model?

It's one of the few things that I would have bought from the 2021 releases

Very disappointed that it might not be  available by the sound of things.

The catalogue has only been out a few days and already Hornby are in a mess 

Talking about the 2021 catalogue am I the only one that thinks that it's a bit of a jumble with some 2020 items that haven't arrived yet not shown a then things like the class 71s have been in for years then you've got items that are sold out 

As you can probably tell I'm not impressed with Hornby at the moment

Edited by Monkey28
Spelling mistake

6 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

Has any other manufacturer ever made the Lady Diana Spencer 47712  in the same livery as the Hornby model?

It's one of the few things that I would have bought from the 2021 releases

Very disappointed that it might not be  available by the sound of things.

The catalogue has only been out a few days and already Hornby are in a mess 

Talking about the 2021 catalogue am I the only one that thinks that it's a bit of a jumble with some 2020 items that haven't arrived yet not shown a then things like the class 71s have been in for years then you've got items that are sold out 

As you can probably tell I'm not impressed with Hornby at the moment

I've just looked at Hornby's site and Hatton's site and both have 47712 Lady Dianna Spencer TTS and 47593 Galloway Princess for sale.

Both also have the Rail Charter services coaches, so not sure where this can only be ordered from Hornby.com is coming from.

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked at Hornby's site and Hatton's site and both have 47712 Lady Dianna Spencer TTS and 47593 Galloway Princess for sale.

Both also have the Rail Charter services coaches, so not sure where this can only be ordered from Hornby.com is coming from.

Because they are Hornby Website Exclusives.  Hornby failed to provide the information that these were exclusive to the Hornby website on the information provided in the slides that Andy has posted at the start of this thread.  Several retailers added these to their sites assuming Hornby had missed them from their order forms (errors are not unknown in the early days of the new announcement) but then subsequently removed them again once they were advised they could not order them.  You will have to ask Hattons why they continue to list them.

Edited by Not Captain Kernow
Added quote
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2