Hornby 2021 - Railroad and Railroad Plus

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Markwj said:

Looks like Diana Spencer now sold out at Hornby not coming up on webpage did pre order via hattons but now that may be lost.

Thanks for nothing Hornby!

Hornby website running like a whippet this morning so have managed To preorder my scotrail 47.

I therefore owe Hornby an apology but

I searched yesterday under TTS and railroad and the catalogue number also used Diana and Spencer and the website couldn’t find the model suggesting it may have sold out!  Searching the 2021 range it wouldn’t go past the first page so couldn’t locate the model that way.

So yes sorry Hornby!

mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

An alternative viewpoint to that is that Hornby have made something popular which has sold out and will no doubt help their profitability to be able to continue developing new models. I'm sure they will be as delighted as you are frustrated.

Yeah but the marketing is a farce .

I thought Hornby were supporting their dealer network . Odd that these are exclusive to Hornby . And there is no mention of it anywhere . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm not arguing with you.

But, if I was in Hornby's position and knew I could leverage my old toolings to make a batch of models to sell directly and sell out with days then I'd take that money every time.

It wasn't so long ago that some of their other items like the Captain Tom Moore Class 66 or the Rocket were marketed as pre-order via retailers. That didn't seem to pan out too well as it seemed that they were both over-subscribed with orders AND short supplied with models (in the case of the Rocket).

They did respond to the demand for the Tom Moore 66 by making more, so perhaps all is not lost and they will make more runs of the models in question here to be made available to retailers. As a company they do need more quick wins to raise cash, so cut them a bit of slack, as the alternative is they run out of cash....

Edited by Bedlington North
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Just had the email from hattons cancelling my preorder but ordered now from Hornby so all ok I guess.

edit- now states web exclusive next to it on the Hornby site

Edited by Markwj
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, CathcartCircle said:

Just had my Lady Diana Spencer preorder (which was ordered early on launch day) cancelled by Hattons. It's the Duchess of Atholl all over again! :(

So did I, if it is a Hornby exclusive then I guess I'll get it from there.

Really hope all my other pre-orders remain. Can't see Hattons doing a Rails...

• Like 1

I was just notified from Hatton's that my BR Class 47 ScotRail Lady Diana Spencer has been cancelled but thankfully I appear to have just secured one from Hornby directly. So if you want one thats where you need to go. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, Legend said:

Cheers Ryan . Catalogue makes no mention of this  ! 

Im glad you've sorted this Legend! At least you've managed to buy a copy of the 2021 catalogue ive tried Tesco, WHSmith etc they have all sold their copies so I've pre ordered online tumble weed long long wait  it is not so perky living in sleepy Devon at all. We are always the last to receive all new products. :rolleyes::laugh:

Edited by RyanN91
Typo auto fix
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It's a farce from Hornby things like this should be sorted out before the range launch to the public.

The retailers would have seen the 2021 range in December .I would have thought online this year instead of on it person at Margate. But still no excuse for not telling your retailers the correct information 

It does no one any good Hornby the retailers or us the end customers 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, APT Fan said:

I've seen this:-

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-bagnall-0-4-0dh-01426-era-7.html

spacer.png

But I don't understand what it is? It appears to be numbered as a class 01 but it doesn't look like one?

spacer.png

The class 01 designation is a bit of an odd duck. It was used to describe a small class of shunters like the one in the picture, but the 01/5 designation was later used to encompass shunters of various designs that were not in another BR locomotive class. The Hornby Bagnall that's numbered 01426 is a completely ficticious locomotive, loosely based on an engine that survives on the Foxfield Railway. The class 01/4 that Hornby imagines it to be a part of is just that - imaginary!

image.png.0807fd35016c1e69fd372e2531f31196.png

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 01:02, adb968008 said:

47593 is based on the LSL 47 that emerged in 2019 and ran on the S&C this summer.

Hornby have added the Rail Charter Services coaches to go with it.

A45F65F5-F0D0-43B6-A348-E664588F2B3B.jpeg.8f4f186efba2ff08a020cd2d0058b69b.jpeg

back dating it to 1990’s condition isnt going to be hard... I think its just the OHLE flashes.

As the tooling will be the Lima model, backdating this will be a fairly easy task for anyone wanting to do so - The real thing has a few more modern features than the actual model, such as the 57 style radiator grills installed by DRS. 

Interestingly, and as with other LSL 47s, it also had the buffer beam cowling re-instated. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the information about the diesel range.  In the steam range the R30039 Billinton 0-6-0T makes a welcome return.  I don't think it is such a really useful engine in SECR livery as its predecessors the LBSR E2 and Thomas as there are no suitable wagons or coaches in the entire Hornby range.  I thought that it would be more useful in Southern livery but there are no Southern passenger brake vans in the Railroad range.

P1000346.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe it should pull the Railroad Coronation coaches that there isn't a loco for... ;-)

Seriously though, I think this demonstrates the Achilles heel of the Railroad range as it stands - there isn't sufficient breadth and consistency in it for anyone to build a layout based on a particular era or region of the country.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Maybe it should pull the Railroad Coronation coaches that there isn't a loco for... ;-)

Seriously though, I think this demonstrates the Achilles heel of the Railroad range as it stands - there isn't sufficient breadth and consistency in it for anyone to build a layout based on a particular era or region of the country.

But for kids I dont think thats important.

For youngsters doing modern image, it is more so, and £30 coaches are a plenty to make options in the railroad plus diesel range.

Hornby has to be applauded for that, but a bit of forward investment in “todays” modern image is a gap in Hornbys range, something that may bite them sooner or later. 

Edited by adb968008

It will be interesting to see which body shell of the E2 locomotive that Hornby will use for the actual RailRoad model either the Ex Thomas below or old 1970s/1980s tooling above. (If it still exists) As they've used different toolings in publication photos compared to the actual product in the past.

ZomboDroid 16012021141828.jpg

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

It will be interesting to see which body shell of the E2 locomotive that Hornby will use for the actual RailRoad model either the Ex Thomas below or old 1970s/1980s tooling above. (If it still exists) As they've used different toolings in publication photos compared to the actual product in the past.

ZomboDroid 16012021141828.jpg

I think it will be the old Thomas model with the modified cab attached . It is essentially Thomas painted a different colour and without a face , similar to Percy .  The old E2 has been modified to produce Thomas , so I don’t think you will see it reappear . 

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think it will be the old Thomas model with the modified cab attached . It is essentially Thomas painted a different colour and without a face , similar to Percy .  The old E2 has been modified to produce Thomas , so I don’t think you will see it reappear . 

I think you’re right that the tool has been modified. In any case, it wouldn’t be up to present-day standards. That wouldn’t stop Hornby producing a new model, though, both versions of which would be nice. However, bear in mind that the E2 is a relatively rare prototype which was chosen because it was a vaguely close fit to Hornby’s one size fits all 0-6-0 chassis. That’s the way things were done all those years ago. If an E1 would suit Ryan’s purpose, he could always wait for Model Rail’s offering.

• Like 3