Hornby 2021 - Coaching stock

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Premium

Still no FO in Inter City (charter) livery with white roof. A big missed opportunity - again - as they can be run with main line steam as well as more modern traction.

I always assumed this livery was one of the main reasons for producing this FO, but obviously not in Hornby's view.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

My chum seems to think that a revamped SR bogie luggage van with corridor connections has been announced. I watched the Hornby YouTube clip but there seemed to be some gaps in the annoucements.

Was my chum wrong?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

My chum seems to think that a revamped SR bogie luggage van with corridor connections has been announced. I watched the Hornby YouTube clip but there seemed to be some gaps in the annoucements.

Was my chum wrong?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Richy59 said:

Forgive my ignorance, what are the Loram coaches? From what I've seen Loram seem to do various bits of kit for railworks, would these coaches be like staff coaches or something?

They were used to show/advertise that Loram could run trains around the network.

I believe they only carried the livery for about 4 weeks and has since been removed.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

That BUO is a real case of painting a coach in a livery and hoping that nobody notices that it’s not even remotely correct. 

Eek. - that's even worse than some of the yellow overpaints............

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone seen the Rail Charter Services for preorder anywhere please?  Missing from Hattons, Derails and others list and I wonder if it's an item like we've seen before that has been pushed back into 2022 after the presentation was pulled together...

Edited by NaN
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Still no FO in Inter City (charter) livery with white roof. A big missed opportunity - again - as they can be run with main line steam as well as more modern traction.

I always assumed this livery was one of the main reasons for producing this FO, but obviously not in Hornby's view.

Couldn’t agree more. Why do a white roof brake but no FO’s? Most odd. 
Like you say, would sell like hot cakes. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

That BUO is a real case of painting a coach in a livery and hoping that nobody notices that it’s not even remotely correct. 

Indeed. The BSO would have been a better starting point - at least that has centrally-ish placed doors.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, NaN said:

Has anyone seen the Rail Charter Services for preorder anywhere please?  Missing from Hattons, Derails and others list and I wonder if it's an item like we've seen before that has been pushed back into 2022 after the presentation was pulled together...

I can't see it on Hattons, can't get the Hornby site to load either to check

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Seems Hornby is retreating from the lore complex pre-nationalisation stock - less labour intensive bits to stick or panelling to programme.

Hopefully this is only temporary.

Still loads of it due from last year including the Coronation Scot set.

So I expect they haven't announced as much new stuff until that's all out of the way.

Jason

5 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

That's the Hornby way!

I really really hope Hornby actually tool up the BUO with correct door/window config. After all why would they choose to model the BUO over the simpler lounge car mk2?

Had they used a computer image of the BSO brake coach I would assume it was a compromise, but by showing an SO (which is not remotely correct) makes me think (wish) they will tool it correctly. I have my doubts though.

When they tooled the mk2 surely they knew of the few varients that exist and allowed for future tooling slides. Still hoping they tool the much requested RFB mk2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

Eek. - that's even worse than some of the yellow overpaints............

The odd thing being that they could do a much closer representation of a RLO using there Mk2F tooling but haven't. 1/2 of the RLOs have smooth sides like a RFB but the other half just have the windows blanked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NaN said:

Ive been wondering that as well. Cant find anywhere to pre-order it.

Same with the TPE 802 that sneaked into last years catalogue and has since disappeared?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

The odd thing being that they could do a much closer representation of a RLO using there Mk2F tooling but haven't. 1/2 of the RLOs have smooth sides like a RFB but the other half just have the windows blanked.

I really don't understand why they've done this - It's not just the confused "GWR Caledonian Sleeper" I find annoying, but the painting of a coach to look like something else. And the producing of 3 out of 4 vehicles. It would have taken a researcher 5 minutes on Flickr to see that these two could easily be achievable:

A Mk2 RLO using the Mk2 FO as the base - 6701

Serco Caledonian Sleeper MK2 6701

Mk2 BSO - 9497 

MK2 9497

The choice of the DRS Mk1 is also a little puzzling - It only ever ran with Mk3s (produced by Oxford) and ran very briefly until it's replacement by a Mk3 RFM. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is the mk2d going to use the dated, 1970s Airfix tooling? The mk2e tooling would be a far better representation and it would also have the correct 1 aircon fan rather than the incorrect 2 fan on the Aifix one. I suspect Hornby will still insist on using the incorrect and crude Airfix tooling as it's showing as £2 cheaper than than other mk2e/f coaches.

46 minutes ago, Growling said:

I am interested in the Mk3 sleepers but does anyone have any idea how much of an update on the old Lima model they are / are they based on that?

They will be newer bogies, possibly with the newer narrower European type coupling, and slightly more flush fitted windows. Other than that, pretty much ex Lima. 

• Thanks 1