Hornby 2021 - Coaching stock

AY Mod

On 06/01/2021 at 02:25, scottrains29 said:

Is the mk2d going to use the dated, 1970s Airfix tooling? The mk2e tooling would be a far better representation and it would also have the correct 1 aircon fan rather than the incorrect 2 fan on the Aifix one. I suspect Hornby will still insist on using the incorrect and crude Airfix tooling as it's showing as £2 cheaper than than other mk2e/f coaches.

I'm fairly certain that if you email Simon Kohler and point out these findings, he will seriously consider it. 

So please do that if you can. 

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Has anybody got any idea where or what the DRS MK1 buffet was used on in that livery? I can only find a pic of it parked up.

Most of the time it spent in unbranded DRS livery was in Eastleigh Works (we had both for some considerable time), I can’t recall it did many trips in either liveries though, it was in the original incarnation of the Stobart Pullman but was quickly sidelined by Mk3 RFMs. 

Incidentally, I wonder if the reason for producing it was to run with the Oxford Mk3s, though I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything more of those of late. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Most of the time it spent in unbranded DRS livery was in Eastleigh Works (we had both for some considerable time), I can’t recall it did many trips in either liveries though, it was in the original incarnation of the Stobart Pullman but was quickly sidelined by Mk3 RFMs. 

Thanks. I thought it seemed a bit random that's all, like the Super GUV last year that as far as I am aware never moves so unless it's going to get thrown in the corner of a layout or be used unprototypically what's the point in buying it?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't bought a Hornby catalogue for quite a while but one jumped off the shelf in WHS the other day and landed in my hand.   What I find interesting is the number of coachesin particilar, from past runs - often with A or B (and on one case C) suffixes which lurk within its pages.  They, plus certain locos, make it look almost as if Hornby might be trying to clear surplus stock from the warehouse (especially because one lot of the coaches were, I'm sure. last seen in a fire sale under the previous management and no doubt they aren't the only things from back then).

In many respects it is a good idea because it bumps up the content of the catalogue and helps give width to the range of models on offer - for several BR Regions/Companies but it interesting to see them there.  i wonder if the idea will work?

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2021 at 14:22, NaN said:

Has anyone seen the Rail Charter Services for preorder anywhere please?  Missing from Hattons, Derails and others list and I wonder if it's an item like we've seen before that has been pushed back into 2022 after the presentation was pulled together...

To answer my own question, these have now appeared at Hattons and other shops for preorder. 

On 09/01/2021 at 16:27, TomScrut said:

Thanks. I thought it seemed a bit random that's all, like the Super GUV last year that as far as I am aware never moves so unless it's going to get thrown in the corner of a layout or be used unprototypically what's the point in buying it?

The more I look at this one, the odder I find it. Both were once part of the former Fragonset-Merlin Rail Blue Pullman fleet, before FM rail folded. They were then taken on by DRS & Stobart Rail for the short lived Stobart Pullman, the two Mk1s   (1657 & 80042) having a short shelf life before being replaced by Mk3 RFMs. Following this, both ended up being stored, de-branded, in Eastleigh Works for several years. 80042 then went to Mr Honey and his team at Cargo D ran with the Cargo D fleet for a while in Blue Grey, while 1657 stayed in Eastleigh. With Cargo D Folding, 80042 joined the Riviera Fleet, before swapping Blue Grey with 1657 (80042 is now in Choc & Cream). 

20080713-033

If anything, 1657 has spent longer back in BR Blue Grey with Riviera Trains. Oddly, You can model this as with some modification as Hornby's Blue Grey Mk1 happens to be 1657.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-m-mk1-rb-r-m1627-era-7.html

So I still can't see the point of the unbranded DRS Version though. Perhaps a Riviera "The Great Briton" set (with Mk2s) or Carmine and Cream version may have been a better choice? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody ordered the RCS Mk3 Charter Coaches which are a Web Exclusive only available from Hornby Direct on their website ......... the coaches are £34.99 and when you get to the checkout - It charges you £4.98 postage ... PER COACH..... therefore to buy the full rake of 5 coaches including the support coach it costs you £25 postage ...

So with that in mind - dont think I will bother ...... what a bloody rip off !!!!

Edited by cambo74
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cambo74 said:

Has anybody ordered the RCS Mk3 Charter Coaches which are a Web Exclusive only available from Hornby Direct on their website ......... the coaches are £34.99 and when you get to the checkout - It charges you £4.98 postage ... PER COACH..... therefore to buy the full rake of 5 coaches including the support coach it costs you £25 postage ...

So with that in mind - dont think I will bother ...... what a bloody rip off !!!!

They obviously won't charge you £25 for shipping. It's just an error. Email Hornby's CC and they will sort it out.

On 09/01/2021 at 18:29, NaN said:

To answer my own question, these have now appeared at Hattons and other shops for preorder. 

Not sure what happened with these. I preordered the set plus the two appropriate Class 47s from Hattons only to have the pre-order cancelled today. Is this something Hornby have now decided that only they are going to stock/sell directly? Disappointing if so! Has anything else gone to ‘web exclusive’ from the 2021 range?

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Fred Rich said:

Not sure what happened with these. I preordered the set plus the two appropriate Class 47s from Hattons only to have the pre-order cancelled today. Is this something Hornby have now decided that only they are going to stock/sell directly? Disappointing if so! Has anything else gone to ‘web exclusive’ from the 2021 range?

Yep; the RCS coaches and the two 47s (I shared the details from Derails on the Railroad Hornby thread) are now web exclusivee only

• Agree 1

On 14/01/2021 at 02:14, JGPhoto said:

I can confirm that I pre-ordered all the RCS coaches and was charged £4.98 postage on each coach, all processed as a separate order.

It's quite clearly an issue with the website. I have ordered from Hornby before (both for delivery within the UK and overseas as well) and never ever paid postage based on each individual item.

Please email Hornby and inform them about it.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 02:14, cambo74 said:

Thats terrible ...... one lost order here ......

Did you even try getting in touch with anyone at Hornby to notify them of the issue? Members continuously posting on rmweb will do little or nothing to solve the issue.

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Postage is free over £50 for all UK orders.

Have you tried getting in touch with them to point out the error rather than just moaning online?

Jason

Why solve an issue when moaning about it online is so much fun! :jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Right little update for you guys and girls out there on the RCS Coaches and the postage charges .....

It is technically correct in that they charge postage based on the expected release dates ..... and they obviously dispatch separately when released.

The dates for the coaches are 26/12 and 27/12/2021 and therefore as one is Boxing Day and there is not postage then common sense will hopefully prevail and they will be packaged together when released (assuming they hit the expected release date). 

I did ring them and was advised that even if the coaches arrived in two batches as per expected release dates, as the value of both packages would be over £50 then free postage is applied.  

So well done to Hornby and a lesson, that yes you should ring to enquire .... but alls well that ends well ......... but technically the website was correct but as the items are all related then the release dates are close together ......

So give them a ring to order ... may take a bit longer - but worth it ....

Ben 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the new updated website, the Caledonian Sleeper brake coach is now changed from BUO, which they don't have the tooling for, to a BSO, which they do.

R4015.

Still glitches on the website. Searching for era 11 showed 11 pages of items, but scrolling through it gradually reduces to 7 pages. Hope they're able to fix the issues as the site looks much better than the previous iteration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, KDG said:

From the new updated website, the Caledonian Sleeper brake coach is now changed from BUO, which they don't have the tooling for, to a BSO, which they do.

That's a very welcome change indeed! I do wish they would tool up the BUO at some point, especially with the various liveries they've now carried, but to use the SO tooling was just laughable. Then calling it GWR Caledonian sleeper made no sense either. Makes you wonder about the lack of knowledge at Hornby!

It's also odd (and annoying) that Hornby aren't producing the RLO lounge car (using their FO tooling), again leaving customers one coach short of a rake!

The Aberdeen, Inverness and Ft William portions always had two mk2s, usually a BUO (or sometimes BSO) and a lounge RLO (or RFB).

Perhaps the lack of lounge car is a sign Hornby are tooling up the much needed and requested RFB! It would allow me to finally complete my Hornby Intercity and Virgin mk2 rakes without using Bachmann.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2021 at 14:57, scottrains29 said:

Perhaps the lack of lounge car is a sign Hornby are tooling up the much needed and requested RFB! It would allow me to finally complete my Hornby Intercity and Virgin mk2 rakes without using Bachmann.

Have you got something against the Bachmann RFB? I personally don't have a problem operating mixed Hornby and Bachmann rakes and the Bachmann one has been announced in both IC and Virgin liveries.

• Agree 1

On 29/01/2021 at 16:27, brushman47544 said:

Have you got something against the Bachmann RFB? I personally don't have a problem operating mixed Hornby and Bachmann rakes and the Bachmann one has been announced in both IC and Virgin liveries.

I'm not keen on running coaches from different manufacturers. The Bachmann IC mk2f is quite different from the Hornby one. The ride height is slightly higher, the windows are slightly different with a more pronounced window frame, glazing doesn't look quite as flush as Hornby and also of a different tint. The body colour match isn't too bad on the IC but there is a noticable difference. The Blue/grey version is a very different shade to Hornby. IC red stripe is also larger on Bachmann. Many other differences too. Basically, using the Bachmann coach would stand out. I would prefer to use all Hornby, or all Bachmann.

My main issue is that Hornby regularly prevent people completing matching rakes of coaches. Take the popular HST. They didn't bother tooling the vital TGS mk3, then when they did get their hands on the Lima version they got the livery wrong on the Virgin ones. To this date they have still not produced a Virgin TGS in Virgin HST livery (the type with silver windows) despite the Virgin HST previously being one of their best sellers.

Later, they released the Virgin mk2e BSO yet no RFB. The BSO always ran in a rake with an RFB. Again, leaving people one coach short.

They've now produced Caledonian sleeper mk3 coaches in NX, First and soon Serco liveries yet have never produced either of the two matching mk2s to run with them until this year when they announce just one mk2, a BUO using the FO tooling! Luckily, they changed it to a BSO but it still leaves people one coach short of forming the smallest prototypical rake!  A typical sleeper rake should include two mk2s: a BUO (or BSO) and an RLO (or RFB). This is another reason Hornby should make an RFB mk2f. I doubt Bachmann would produce Caledonian sleeper stock.

Other examples include the recent Northern Belle train and coach packs where the sleeper produced many years ago is almost impossible to get. There has never been any of the buffet coaches produced in rtr either, even though Hornby now have tooling for the Sleeper, BG and buffet.

Another issue is consistency. Last year they brought out a range of Virgin mk2fs (minus the RFB), yet they couldn't even match it to their fairly recent Virgin mk2e. Differences include CDL lights on just the mk2f FO and SO (absent on all their mk2e) yet strangely absent on the BSO, painted bogie detail, toilet window colour, no-smoking signs on outside glazing of mk2f, inside on mk2e. I don't know why they couldn't keep the Virgin mk2f livery details the same as the mk2e. I've heard their blue/grey mk2fs don't even colour match the mk2e coaches, mainly the grey being a different shade.

A complete rake of matching coaches seems very difficult for Hornby to achieve.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I'm not keen on running coaches from different manufacturers. The Bachmann IC mk2f is quite different from the Hornby one. The ride height is slightly higher, the windows are slightly different with a more pronounced window frame, glazing doesn't look quite as flush as Hornby and also of a different tint. The body colour match isn't too bad on the IC but there is a noticable difference. The Blue/grey version is a very different shade to Hornby. IC red stripe is also larger on Bachmann. Many other differences too. Basically, using the Bachmann coach would stand out. I would prefer to use all Hornby, or all Bachmann.

My main issue is that Hornby regularly prevent people completing matching rakes of coaches. Take the popular HST. They didn't bother tooling the vital TGS mk3, then when they did get their hands on the Lima version they got the livery wrong on the Virgin ones. To this date they have still not produced a Virgin TGS in Virgin HST livery (the type with silver windows) despite the Virgin HST previously being one of their best sellers.

Later, they released the Virgin mk2e BSO yet no RFB. The BSO always ran in a rake with an RFB. Again, leaving people one coach short.

They've now produced Caledonian sleeper mk3 coaches in NX, First and soon Serco liveries yet have never produced either of the two matching mk2s to run with them until this year when they announce just one mk2, a BUO using the FO tooling! Luckily, they changed it to a BSO but it still leaves people one coach short of forming the smallest prototypical rake!  A typical sleeper rake should include two mk2s: a BUO (or BSO) and an RLO (or RFB). This is another reason Hornby should make an RFB mk2f. I doubt Bachmann would produce Caledonian sleeper stock.

Other examples include the recent Northern Belle train and coach packs where the sleeper produced many years ago is almost impossible to get. There has never been any of the buffet coaches produced in rtr either, even though Hornby now have tooling for the Sleeper, BG and buffet.

Another issue is consistency. Last year they brought out a range of Virgin mk2fs (minus the RFB), yet they couldn't even match it to their fairly recent Virgin mk2e. Differences include CDL lights on just the mk2f FO and SO (absent on all their mk2e) yet strangely absent on the BSO, painted bogie detail, toilet window colour, no-smoking signs on outside glazing of mk2f, inside on mk2e. I don't know why they couldn't keep the Virgin mk2f livery details the same as the mk2e. I've heard their blue/grey mk2fs don't even colour match the mk2e coaches, mainly the grey being a different shade.

A complete rake of matching coaches seems very difficult for Hornby to achieve.

One oddball that still stands out for me is the FGW Fag Packet TGS. Yep, just the TGS. Nothing to run with it. If it's meant to represent the Night Riviera's BFO/BUO, then it's wrong and there's no RFM or TSO-D to run with it. If it's meant to be a HST vehicle, then erm, where is the rest of it? 

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...