Hornby 2021 - Wagons

AY Mod

• AY Mod changed the title to Hornby 2021 - Wagons
  • AY Mod pinned this topic

Looking at the RRP I think I'll be going with the other guys (assuming they don`t make some error) for my HAA.

The bogie bolster A looks like a new model, the old mainline version came with DC brake levers, this one looks like it has normal brake levers.

The vent van with the 3 vertical stripes? Doesn`t the stripes mean a shock van? If so, is it the correct length?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Delighted to see the NCB brake van - presumably it's the one from Comrie Colliery which will go very nicely with the recent EFE Rail Austerity.  Perhaps it's just a happy coincidence, but it is nice to see manufacturers producing complementary products.

Edited by 64F
typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Looking at the RRP I think I'll be going with the other guys (assuming they don`t make some error) for my HAA.

The bogie bolster A looks like a new model, the old mainline version came with DC brake levers, this one looks like it has normal brake levers.

The vent van with the 3 vertical stripes? Doesn`t the stripes mean a shock van? If so, is it the correct length?

That would be the former Airfix ex GWR bolster wagon.

The shock van should have a shock chassis, not a standard one.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"Plank wagons"? What?

That LMS 3-plank dropside livery is a real oddity - there seems to be an obsession with black ironwork on the 3-plank wagon. Anyway, with the 1936 lettering, the wagon should be bauxite. Why not letter it LMS in the 1923-36 style?

The Wilkinson wagon looks rather nice - the 4-plank wagon body really isn't too bad by the standards of RTR wagons; likewise the Burnyeat Brown wagon is rather nicely done - though the original was black, not brown, a Gloucester product of 1891 - but alas! the Wadsworth and Lowe & Warwick wagons perpetuate the 10ft wheelbase steel underframe. The 4-plank body would have been a better choice for Wadsworth - dimensionally and in style of ironwork it's quite close to the real wagon, a 10 ton 5-plank wagon of pre-Great War origin

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"Plank wagons"? What?

That LMS 3-plank dropside livery is a real oddity - there seems to be an obsession with black ironwork on the 3-plank wagon. Anyway, with the 1936 lettering, the wagon should be bauxite. Why not letter it LMS in the 1923-36 style?

Apart from the spurious black ironwork, I've certainly seen photos which suggest the 1936-style lettering on a grey wagon- there's an example in the Essery Midland Wagons book of a D305 3-plank which the caption says is grey with the later-style lettering- and very obvious squares on a weathered wagon side where the original 'LMS' has presumably been patch-painted out, and faint traces of the original lettering showing through.

The '12-Ton' branding and wagon number seem to suggest that what Hornby have actually looked at is an LMS D1927 3-plank, as per the Ratio kit or Mainline/Dapol/Bachman RTR, which is a slightly larger beast than Hornby's little 8-tonner!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Apart from the spurious black ironwork, I've certainly seen photos which suggest the 1936-style lettering on a grey wagon- there's an example in the Essery Midland Wagons book of a D305 3-plank which the caption says is grey with the later-style lettering- and very obvious squares on a weathered wagon side where the original 'LMS' has presumably been patch-painted out, and faint traces of the original lettering showing through.

Fair enough. A decent reproduction of that "livery" (perhaps "condition" would be a better word) would be a worthwhile exercise. 

30 minutes ago, Invicta said:

The '12-Ton' branding and wagon number seem to suggest that what Hornby have actually looked at is an LMS D1927 3-plank, as per the Ratio kit or Mainline/Dapol/Bachman RTR, which is a slightly larger beast than Hornby's little 8-tonner!

It's typical of Hornby with these 3-plank, 4-plank, and 6-plank wagons to score such near-misses, which is a shame. It smacks of laziness, I'm afraid.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

"Nothing for me here!!"  Oh? Really?

Burnyeat Brown ran hundreds of these wagons; full trains going down, empties going up.  Apart from Mabons day* they  ran around the clock. A nice addition to the Hornby excellent Toad brakevans. 

My only observation is-are the running numbers. I do wish Hornby would leave the running numbers off  It's OK for a collector, but when you would like a full train of 65-odd  wagons, altering 130 sets of numbers is a bit tedious. 

Having such a large coverage of UK modelling types, Hornby can't possibly hope to satisfy everybody. I think it's pretty good overall considering the background that they're working with.  It does give Hornby another year to retool the half cab pannier.......

* Mabons day.  A welsh custom, now long gone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Fair enough. A decent reproduction of that "livery" (perhaps "condition" would be a better word) would be a worthwhile exercise. 

It's typical of Hornby with these 3-plank, 4-plank, and 6-plank wagons to score such near-misses, which is a shame. It smacks of laziness, I'm afraid.

Indeed, it's always frustrating when they pull off these near-misses- one numbered as an ex-Midland 3-plank, which is rather closer to Hornby's tooling (I've supplemented my Slater's kitbuilds by repainting a couple of the Hornby 3-planks over the years) in a  more typical livery would have been much more useful.

I quite like the occasional 'oddball' livery on a wagon, but it's the kind of thing I do as a repaint or on a kit. If I'm buying RTR, then the more typical and standard the better, although a scruffy patch-painted grey one with the later lettering would be very tempting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Burnyeat Brown ran hundreds of these wagons; full trains going down, empties going up.  Apart from Mabons day* they  ran around the clock. A nice addition to the Hornby excellent Toad brakevans. 

My only observation is-are the running numbers. I do wish Hornby would leave the running numbers off  It's OK for a collector, but when you would like a full train of 65-odd  wagons, altering 130 sets of numbers is a bit tedious. 

Ah well, one could always make do with the POWSides version, either as kit or dry transfers - for a full 65-wagon train it would work out significantly cheaper, as well as more accurate on the key point of being an end-door wagon, rather than Hornby's fixed-end 6-planker, as well as the right colour! One could introduce some variety with the 7-plank version, too.

Considerably more fun to be had building 65 just-right wagons than in unboxing 65 near-miss wagons, surely?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

That would be the former Airfix ex GWR bolster wagon.

Looks like quite a few Airfix re-hashes there, the Conflat and Lowmac both look like the old Airfix items.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 3

I had hoped for the LMS 4-wheel CCT in BR blue (as a spin-off from last year's departmental model) instead of another blue LNER extra-long CCT when the previous one is still available.

Also the CDA in ECCI blue without weathering would have been appreciated......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah well, one could always make do with the POWSides version, either as kit or dry transfers - for a full 65-wagon train it would work out significantly cheaper, as well as more accurate on the key point of being an end-door wagon, rather than Hornby's fixed-end 6-planker, as well as the right colour! One could introduce some variety with the 7-plank version, too.

Considerably more fun to be had building 65 just-right wagons than in unboxing 65 near-miss wagons, surely?

Hello Stephen, yes indeed. I thought, however, that as this is a Hornby thread, I'd give Hornby the benefit of the doubt. If it doesn't meet what I want, then I won't buy it. This isn't a slight against Hornby, and far from it.  But if you're spending £25-odd a wagon, then POWSides is probably the way to go. If Hornby do upgrade their wagon models, then I'll guess that they will outstrip all comers. Bachmann seem to come across as some sort of market leader, for which the price & quality doesn't match. Crossing the great divide between models & toys must be a real headache. 

• Like 1

Despite them not being in the announcement (which was more hope than expectation on my part), I aren't convinced nothing is happening regarding the Drax biomass wagons.

60095 spends most it's life hauling them and 60026 did before its fire. Two locos released which spend their time hauling wagons Hornby can in theory make....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

At least it has the right base colour unlike the GW version they did in brown. Definitely an obsession of theirs to paint the ironwork black, someone seems to have a warped logic that as an "old" wagon, it must always be painted that way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1