Hornby 2021 - Wagons

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I wonder if any of the magazines will even review a wagon.

Most of the reviews seem to be Locomotive models...🤔

It may well be a generalisation...but it does sometimes seem that a lot of people are Locomotive focused. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Wagons are not as "fashionable" as locomotives, coaching stock comes next, lowly wagons....🤷🏼‍♀️

🙂

They do though.

First random magazine I can find is Model Rail March 2022 and has six reviews. I would say that's about typical.

Heljan Class 86/4  00 Gauge

Masterpiece Models Class 52 Western O Gauge

Dapol Vanwide/VEA O Gauge - two pages

Scale Model Scenery LNER lineside hut 00 Gauge

Ammo scenic mats

Hornby 20T NCB brake van 00 Gauge - only a brief review but it's only a re-livery.

Jason

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Most of the reviews seem to be Locomotive models...🤔

It may well be a generalisation...but it does sometimes seem that a lot of people are Locomotive focused. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Wagons are not as "fashionable" as locomotives, coaching stock comes next, lowly wagons....🤷🏼‍♀️

🙂

All the magazines review wagons. You know it, and so does everyone else. All sorts of stuff gets reviewed, but as the stars of the show, locomotives are bound to grab the lions share of the limited space and time available. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Is this specific to Hornby or in general?

I subscribe to BRM and Hornby magazine and I see plenty of wagon reviews. Not that many Hornby ones but I don't think they have tooled many wagons recently either!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Is this specific to Hornby or in general?

I subscribe to BRM and Hornby magazine and I see plenty of wagon reviews. Not that many Hornby ones but I don't think they have tooled many wagons recently either!

They have, and the ones they have tooled are amongst the best RTR wagons around.

Jason

• Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They have, and the ones they have tooled are amongst the best RTR wagons around.

Jason

Ah OK, they must just not be any that relevant to me (the KFA is probably the most recent one I own)

46 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

which Hornby wagons are you considering as the best RTR wagons around???

I haven't seen any Hornby wagons that are anywhere near Accurascale or Cavalex quality

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, GordonC said:

which Hornby wagons are you considering as the best RTR wagons around???

I haven't seen any Hornby wagons that are anywhere near Accurascale or Cavalex quality

I did say "amongst". 

Brake vans (LNER, LMS, GWR, LSWR, BR), cattle wagons, horse boxes, coke hoppers, LMS and LNER CCT vans, SR vans, GWR shunters trucks, etc. 

I'm afraid all the fanboyism towards certain manufacturers and knocking of others (especially Hornby) does start to grate. Especially when you start looking at the prices of the opposition models. 

BTW I also responded with the same patronising "like". 🙄

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Especially when you start looking at the prices of the opposition models. 

True, accurascale models are quite. bit cheaper these days (see a triple of HAA at £74.95 rrp versus £84.99)

Edited by McC
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did say "amongst". 

Brake vans (LNER, LMS, GWR, LSWR, BR), cattle wagons, horse boxes, coke hoppers, LMS and LNER CCT vans, SR vans, GWR shunters trucks, etc. 

I'm afraid all the fanboyism towards certain manufacturers and knocking of others (especially Hornby) does start to grate. Especially when you start looking at the prices of the opposition models. 

Jason

Maybe for the steam stuff they're ok, those wagons are probably generally simpler with less detail to start with, but I'd struggle to remember which was the last modern wagon they tooled up. I judge manufacturers on the products they deliver and credit or criticism where it is due. Of the Hornby modern wagons, the Sealions and KFAs are decent wagons, but have been around for quite a few years now and even they can be pretty pricy these days and dont have detail like modern competitors. If you're comparing similar wagons there really cant be much difference in price between Hornby Coke hoppers and Accurascale HUOs.

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did say "amongst". 

Jason

I would not describe the Hornby R6911 LSWR Brake Van or the SR versions released in 2020 to be amongst the best model wagons available. Hornby painted the models in bauxite whereas the correct livery was dark brown. Even the Railway Modeller criticised this error and the  models have turned into Hattons bargains. The only way an LSWR or SR modeller can correct this is to strip down the paintwork, paint them in the correct colour and apply new transfers. Hornby might as well have supplied them unpainted. Hornby subsequently released them in a darker colour but it still did not match either the Kernow model or preserved LSWR goods wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, GordonC said:

Maybe for the steam stuff they're ok.

Not really, my main interest is transition era; there's very little in the Hornby range to 'reasonable' standards apart from the aforementioned plethora of brake vans, and the NPCCS. Hardly any reasonably detailed vans and opens, compare that with Bachmann, who have provided endless variations on the  'bread and butter' 16T mineral and 12T vent van themes.

• Agree 2

You cannot run a goods train for eras 4 and 5, 1948 - 1968 from the Hornby 2021 range as there are no open wagons. Goods rolling stock has been the weak point of Rovex and its successors from the 1950s. For instance Tri-ang were still making the R10 Goods Truck in green livery when Hornby Dublo introduced their SD6 range. Hornby have subsequently left an open goal for Mainline, Airfix and Bachmann to fill and they have not bothered to produce an updated range of BR open wagons in their 2021 range.

• Agree 4