Hornby 2021 - Train sets and licensed products

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

it's amazing how many old tooling wagons Hornby keep finding, it keeps the prices down though on sets like these.

...and presumably some money to be made from collectors of Beatles and Coca-Cola memorabilia, which is no bad thing!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Invicta said:

...and presumably some money to be made from collectors of Beatles and Coca-Cola memorabilia, which is no bad thing!

Being from the Northwest, I fondly remember those Beatles trains serving London with the latest cuts of Beatles records stamped in the stamping factory in Diddyland - it was not all jam butty mining you know.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

44 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

R. Fripp is King Crimson's lead guitarist and longest serving member, so yep.

Minor trivia point: he lives just down the road from me in a nearby town. In normal (ie, non-lockdown) times I'd drive past his house at least a couple of times a week. I've never met him, though. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised they haven't yet come up with a GWR themed 2 train set:

*  Train #1 - a "kettle" (old Pannier or auto-tank?) and autocoach - Railroad, of course - in GWR colours.

*  Train #2 - a "razor edge" AEC railcar - also Railroad - also in GWR colours.

*  Track (and trackmat) - traditional oval of track, with passing loop.

Of course, I'm not expecting to see anything like this any time soon (if ever) - but I'd like it if something along these lines were to appear in a future year.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My first ever train set had the medium wheelbase van in the Beatles set.  It was a black 0-4-0 tank No 6042, a van and a girder sided open wagon on the same chassis as the van. Mine had a boat on it but it also came with wheelsets as a load. 

That was before all this licence rubbish, but it was a Cadbury branded van in the Dairy Milk purple/cream with gold script name.

Did those vans have a prototype?

Edited by daveyb
Fat fingers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kernowtim said:

I was after one of these when they were first released nearly 40 years ago and Managed to get one off ebay in mint condition last year!

Nothing wrong with that. One of the liberations of earning your own money is getting all the trains you wanted as a child! 

• Like 4

Got the Christmas coca cola set with the bagnal diesel from TMC for just under £60, pity Hornby didn't release the container wagon separately though!

The new set seems to be an odd mix of old steam loco and modern(ish) wagons with old style wagons available separately (and the box picture shows a different  tank wagon to the contents pic), although there was a monobloc tta wagon last year.

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 1

Why no train sets for the more adult market? 

All the 2021 sets seem to be more for the younger market and a bit cheap and plasticky looking 

Surely a larger steam or diesel loco with coaches would be more appealing than an 040 with some branding on 

17 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

All the 2021 sets seem to be more for the younger market and a bit cheap and plasticky looking 

Surely a larger steam or diesel loco with coaches would be more appealing than an 040 with some branding on 

There is. These are just the new announcements. The others are in the catalogue and probably not worth mentioning.

There are also GWR HST,  GWR Freight, Flying Scotsman, Eurostar, Highland Rambler, Harry Potter, etc.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/all-sets.html

You'll also probably get the exclusives from places like Argos and the mail order catalogues.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There is. These are just the new announcements. The others are in the catalogue and probably not worth mentioning.

There are also GWR HST,  GWR Freight, Flying Scotsman, Eurostar, Highland Rambler, Harry Potter, etc.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/all-sets.html

You'll also probably get the exclusives from places like Argos and the mail order catalogues.

Jason

Yes I know about these sets but there's nothing new for the more adult buyers.

Most won't be interested in the Harry Potter and Eurostar is a bit basic the ramblrer is more for the younger market and there is only so many flying Scotsman you can sell 

The GWR set is good idea but could do with an update to the latest coaches with the sliding doors 

The set with the b17 and two coaches was more the idea I was thinking of but with a different locomotive maybe every few years 

Yes some of the exclusives were good a few years ago Hornby did some for M&S. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

I guess it is frustrating when you were hoping for some new train sets Hornby do have to cater for everybody as for train sets new ones appear to be sporadically release new train sets at intervals hence this year we are only getting about 3 new train sets be it that these ones are licenced products Coca-Cola the coast for the licences etc . if you remember back in 2019 Hornby revived the High Speed Train set in GWR livery that was the first time since 2006 where Hornby have issued a HST set. I think it is nice this year they are releasing a Welsh themed starter Train set perfect for the little ones to get started into the Hobby. also in 2017 the East Coast Express Train set was planned however for manufacturing issues this was delayed until the following year. However for it to appeal to more affordable wallet  it was only a starter oval and it was omitting a third BR MK1 coach and the Track extension pack. Despite it  originally intended as a starter oval plus extension pack A and three BR MK1 carriages in BR red white eastern livery with an Ex LNER BR B17 class West Ham United locomotive in early BR Crest. The Eurostar 2014 livery first introduced in 2015 was reissued in 2020  this time with the new 2019 train controller. also that year Hornby gave us two other a stunning  train sets, The Master of The Glenn's a P2 railroad Cock O the North LNER 2001 locomotive with three LNER coaches and the polar opposite of Great Britain Hornby released the marvellous Western Express Digital Train Set with TTS Sound  featuring a GWR  Hall Class ‘Ketley Hall’ locomotive with three beautiful Pullman coaches.  So in future years there will be more new train sets like this from Hornby's older tooling's and the Railroad range past present and future so these ones will appeal to older modellers. :D

Edited by RyanN91
typos

I was wondering if Valley Drifter was also a King Crimson reference but it appears not. 
Are the names in the iTraveller set of any relevance?

edit: it seems that they are named after the members of the band Starset

Dustin Bates

Ron DeChant

Brock Richards

Adam Gilbert

Siobhàn Cronin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starset

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

Because there's a larger market for new/existing kids rather than adult collectors.