Hornby 2021 - Playtrains starter range

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold

This is just the starter system I was thinking Hornby should introduce having seen the Marklin My World system. Sadly, it's about 6 years too late for my son (who's more interested in video games now, even with a fully scenic model railway in the house....), but hopefully it gives a positive introduction to some younger people into our wonderful hobby.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

The remote control/sound is an advance on what they offered previously, the track looks better thought out too, although it does remind me of the Old Grey Triang standard track... :scratchhead:

Hope the wheel standards are finer than the ones on the Paddington and the earlier starter set were. Those had difficulties with Hornby set track.

• Like 2

I think they missed a trick here, they should have gone the Tomy Tamara route and made their toys representative of the real thing.  There's then a natural progression into the railroad and main range.  I have to say I look at the Tomy Tamara stuff and think it looks pretty collectable too!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

These trains are based on Italian prototypes. The passenger train as based on the first version of the ".italo" high speed trains manufactured by Alstom.

1288550339_20180405NTVItalo1stGenRomaT.JPG.d0b73508b2bddf28e6f9131cb13d98d3.JPG

The "Thunder" and "Bolt" express goods locos are based on the FS Class E.402A 200kmh passenger locos produced by Hornby under the Rivarossi brand.

1584449196_151218RomaTerminiE402.033ICforTrieste2.JPG.499a76435e9749c7c216723dd0f7474b.JPG

Presumably these sets are for European consumption as well as the UK.

Edited by brushman47544
add photos
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

This is just the starter system I was thinking Hornby should introduce having seen the Marklin My World system. Sadly, it's about 6 years too late for my son (who's more interested in video games now, even with a fully scenic model railway in the house....), but hopefully it gives a positive introduction to some younger people into our wonderful hobby.

Both of mine too I’m afraid. I hope this new system will encourage kids in but I’m not convinced. When I think back they loved the Brio trains and making different track layouts. For a while they liked the basic oval and a railroad hauling toy soldiers in wagons but the novelty wore off sadly. Now it’s PlayStation all the way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haymarket47 said:

Both of mine too I’m afraid. I hope this new system will encourage kids in but I’m not convinced. When I think back they loved the Brio trains and making different track layouts. For a while they liked the basic oval and a railroad hauling toy soldiers in wagons but the novelty wore off sadly. Now it’s PlayStation all the way

Mine love building Brio track systems (currently they are seeking to recreate the SVR mashed up with "Train Truckers" where they load locos onto low loaders and drive them around the country...).  Worth noting that the brio gauge is roughly 16.5mm as well.  If these locos can run on that as well, they might have a flexible product.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

"Playtrains is set to replace Hornby’s Junior range, whose global sales between its Paddington and Express Train variants have totalled more than 40,000 units – it’s a lucrative market. Not only is the new range promising more features and the possibility to expand, which its previous offering couldn't, it’s also introducing the Hornby brand to a younger audience – its potential future client base. With a range promising much more fun than previous generations of train sets, that's surely a positive move." says Phil Parker. I agree!

• Like 4

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

"Playtrains is set to replace Hornby’s Junior range, whose global sales between its Paddington and Express Train variants have totalled more than 40,000 units – it’s a lucrative market. Not only is the new range promising more features and the possibility to expand, which its previous offering couldn't, it’s also introducing the Hornby brand to a younger audience – its potential future client base. With a range promising much more fun than previous generations of train sets, that's surely a positive move." says Phil Parker. I agree!

Not me. @Howard Smith wrote that impressive piece. I agree though, it's a very positive and exciting development. When the sets arrive, we'll be squabbling over them and then get over-ruled by our boss I suspect!

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Haymarket47 said:

There is a range of track including points to go with this - it's not just the simple oval you are thinking of.

• Like 4

I understand that the playtrains will be competitively priced compared with the competition.  It'd be interesting to get one, merely to transfer the mechanism to, say, an old Hornby Class 25 bodyshell.  Remote control, battery powered Class 2 power!  Whats not to like?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Magnetic couplings, those things on the end of the coaches and wagons that look a bit like light switches? 

Thems the things....

Actually, connecting the train through the "corridor connectors" on the coaches.  Of course, that means that the vans and the wagons also have "corridor connectors" too.

If miniaturised, I don't think I'd like to travel in one of the coaches, 2 axles would give a Pacer-like ride...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I think they missed a trick here, they should have gone the Tomy Tamara route and made their toys representative of the real thing.  There's then a natural progression into the railroad and main range.  I have to say I look at the Tomy Tamara stuff and think it looks pretty collectable too!)

Agree my 4 year old has a huge TOMY plarail system non Thomas he has about 18 E/DMU and 5 electric locos. A vast series from marshalling yards to a coach wash and cheap too 3 car set £23 accessories £4/20

F369ADE0-DA3A-419F-B128-DBAA71839B7E.jpeg

Edited by TTDB
  • Like 1

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It'd be interesting to get one, merely to transfer the mechanism to, say, an old Hornby Class 25 bodyshell.  Remote control, battery powered Class 2 power!  Whats not to like?

I thought the same thing when they told us about them...

I bought one of the Marklin My World sets a couple of years ago. I have also seen a set being 'operated' at York exhibition.

This is the current website https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/my-world/

I think the similarity is obvious. I found it ideal for fast train running but not enough control for shunting, so put it to one side, for the moment. I did run on outr club layout OK, which is handbuilt finescale! Mind you, ther are no chairs, so even old Lima will run OK, but do sometmes have problems with new Hornby locos(wheel back to back?)

Also Marklin and Hornby have worked together before. A couple of years ago I noticed a Thomas range was being marketed from Germany, and it looked like Hornby bodies on a Marklin chassis. Nothing wrong with this, but I think it should be announced to everyone.

Marklin are producing some innovative ideas, and as they produce a detailed leaflet online, it is relatively easy you find out about them, thanks to Gaugemaster distributing these pdf file leaflets . Most continental companies send out new release leaflets as pdf files , as do some American ones . Simple and effective.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Marklin chassis. Nothing wrong with this, but I think it should be announced to everyone

Why?

And Hornby have very specifically said there is no connection between the ranges.

magnetic couplings, 4 wheel chassis, continental style bodies. why re-invent the wheel? Nothing wrong with companies working together, assuming that does not upset other parties.

Just found some Markin Thomas stuff, looks familiar,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marklin-Clarabel-And-Annie-From-Thomas-The-Locomotive-New/363204544829

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I understand that the playtrains will be competitively priced compared with the competition.  It'd be interesting to get one, merely to transfer the mechanism to, say, an old Hornby Class 25 bodyshell.  Remote control, battery powered Class 2 power!  Whats not to like?

20 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I thought the same thing when they told us about them...

I take it you're not planning on an On30 "dead rail" challenge, as a collaboration with another Warners magazine.

After all, the prospect of larger scale freelance "critters" scampering about on recycled 3V running gear from The Works sounds scary enough.

1 minute ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Marklin and Hornby have worked together before.

If this is happening, it makes perfect sense.

Car manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing for years - vehicles sharing platforms, bodyshells, stuff like that. Why not model railway manufacturers as well?

1 minute ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Most continental companies send out new release leaflets as pdf files , as do some American ones . Simple and effective.

Can't argue with that.