Hornby 2021 - Playtrains starter range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I quite like the look of this, even though my youngest is into 'proper' model railways now.  If this had been around when she was 2/3 I reckon I'd have bought it for her though.  The bright red track reminds me of an old push-along Play craft set I had when I was younger.

I think the anthropomorphising of the trains is a good idea to appeal to the younger end of the intended audience, and a nice compromise is that it looks like it's done with stickers, so if you don't want talking trains, you don't have to have talking trains!  It looks as well like they've picked a particularly 'generic' enough looking couple of prototypes to portray a British train, but then as most high-speed trains and modern freight locomotives in Europe are slowly starting to look more alike, from the point of view of getting the maximum out of the tooling for sales all over the continent, probably for the best they look generically European.  Much as I might have liked to see a cartoony Intercity 125 in the range, it probably wouldn't sell too well in Spain or Italy.

I wonder if they'll stick with the modern look, or go for a steam character at some point?  The existing 4-wheel chassis wouldn't work, but a slightly blobby Mallard or Flying Scotsman might have a wide enough appeal around the world to work, maybe on a simplified 2-4-2 chassis with no con-rods.  Or stick with 4-wheels and reboot "Nellie/Polly/Connie" ;)

Who knows, an anthropomorphic Pacer on that 4-wheel chassis might let Hornby re-use the old class 142 moulds for something ;) 

If one of the areas they're choosing to teach is geography, then models from different countries makes sense.  (So long as it's not done in the twee almost racist way that Thomas World Adventures has managed)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Did they get out of it or have it taken away? I got the impression the copyright holders were getting irritated with having Hornby in some markets (was it anywhere outside the UK?) and Bachmann in others and that they felt Bachmann were offering more by developing their range further.

IIRC the licence was coming up for renewal so 'carrying on as before' was never going to be an option.

Hornby were thus faced with paying Mattel a shed load of money (and quite possibility having to undertake an expensive re-tool of its models to ensure they looked exactly like the TV characters) or call it quits.

Hornby called it quits - and given the direction of the TTE franchise (it is now targeted at pre-schoolers who are simply not of an age to be able to cope with the delicate nature of 00 stuff) that was a good move for them.

Similarly for Mattel, given Hornbys financial position, then I'm sure they were aware that upping the cost of the licence was a sure fire way of getting rid of a thorn in the side and facilitating an 'all world' agreement.

• Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

...the direction of the TTE franchise (it is now targeted at pre-schoolers who are simply not of an age to be able to cope with the delicate nature of 00 stuff

At the risk of veering off topic, I can imagine that the Rev Awdry will be turning in his grave regarding what the franchise has turned into...

• Agree 8

48 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Hornby called it quits - and given the direction of the TTE franchise (it is now targeted at pre-schoolers who are simply not of an age to be able to cope with the delicate nature of 00 stuff) that was a good move for them.

Except that Bachmann are still selling stuff of the same size to what is presumably a similar market. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how it works better for them.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I suppose it's to make it "spottable" on the floor, childrens toys are rarely installed on a baseboard, its important for the child  to be able to build it it as play goes on. It could have been worse, imagine bright Orange, acid Lemon or luminous Lime track...

Our Grandchildren don’t seem to have any issues (or us from stepping on it) spotting the Brio wooden track layed all over the floor when they visit, and it’s much the same colour as the carpet.....

Its just had it been blue or green or even a light grey....whatever it hardly matters, just an observation.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Except that Bachmann are still selling stuff of the same size to what is presumably a similar market. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how it works better for them.

Too early to tell...

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

One simple, good, reason - Hornby's corporate colour is red.

Had they done blue there'd have been complaints they were just targetting boys. Grey would perhaps me more prototypical but then most 5 years olds won't care about that, and those that do could have fun with a brush and a pot of paint!

Steven B.

Yes, I’ll go along with that......I need to worry about more serious things :lol:

8 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

expansion packs would need to have the R8232 Digital Electric Point Clips fitted as standard (or at least be included) to make the train sets plug and play

Or alternatively produce non-isolating variants of the required set track points as Bachmann already have done.  Given the provenance of the Bachmann track's tooling, Hornby should certainly be able to perform a similar modification to their current tooling to allow for this.

17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Playtrains wants to establish a world of its own and giving the trains faces makes that easier. If the hero of your story is called Fred, it reads better than if he's called 60 013. For a 3 year old, giving the train a name makes it a friend. That's not something Lego etc. try to do but it builds a better connection with the child. 

Strangely enough it also works with teenagers.  When as head of IT I gave all of the school computers names as well as numbers vandalism went down by over 80%.....

Les

(and locomotive names give endless themes for batches of computers- over 200 by the time I retired...)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Oooo a set would be good, Skippy, Jumpy, Wobbly and Urgh What’s that Stuck to the Seat......

and "Urgh, I felt that jolt".

Of course, there would be the story line

Tsk Tsk Tsk

Whats that Skippy?

There's some children playing on the track around the bend?

We'd better stop!

• Funny 3

Am I the only person that actually thought the Hornby pacer was decent? It lacks the finesse of modern models but they nailed the look of it and the twin powered units with their fighting between each coach and bucking motion really captured the behaviour of the real thing too (admittedly more by chance than design!) Certainly worse models around in the 1980s. 

• Agree 1

All these ranges are not competing against each other, they are competing against Lego trains (also with remote control) and the added attraction of fitting in with that box Lego already in the playroom.

image.png.bcde98cf08df5759ac86d32c0f77edd8.png

image.png.bc336a905a334f44f885c5897bcf0762.png

Plus the link with Harry Potter, a brand parents will know.

image.png.ca0927a0fe863b09cb733fd3a3734f1f.png

I feel that it's optimism in the face of reality to think that these starter sets act as the "entry drug" to model railways as a hobby.

Sorry

jch

17 minutes ago, John Harris said:

All these ranges are not competing against each other, they are competing against Lego trains (also with remote control) and the added attraction of fitting in with that box Lego already in the playroom.

image.png.bcde98cf08df5759ac86d32c0f77edd8.png

image.png.bc336a905a334f44f885c5897bcf0762.png

Plus the link with Harry Potter, a brand parents will know.

image.png.ca0927a0fe863b09cb733fd3a3734f1f.png

I feel that it's optimism in the face of reality to think that these starter sets act as the "entry drug" to model railways as a hobby.

Sorry

jch

But, to have the basis of a half-decent layout, the Lego option is fantastically expensive, compared to this. My grandson (and increasingly my much younger granddaughter) is mad on Lego, but I stuck with the Brio for him (and a less expensive alternative), until now. I think Hornby are about to introduce a very good, inexpensive option.

But it will be too late for my Grandson, who is 6 soon, and for Christmas, I bought him one of the Hornby, mains-controlled starter packs, with strict instructions for my son-in-law to build a basic baseboard (as I cannot go there due to Covid). However, my son-in-law is not at all interested in trains, nor is he much interested in what his son plays with, so long as it keeps him busy! I have received no news of any playing with the new train set. I think I bought it too soon..... This Playtrains product might well have been the best solution, but it won't be available until Summer/Autumn (?). Hey Ho.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I bought our Grandson last Christmas the Hornby battery train set, it is remote control (well buttons on the Loco) with lights and whizzes around, obviously he is too young at just two (then) but now at three he enjoys it and it keeps him happy in between waiting for the time he can again visit grandad with the “big” train set.

76D2739F-F09E-4B76-B3F0-103DC182D967.jpeg.148d8cac58cf3bf77f475f4d365902d8.jpeg

And it has black track, not that silly red stuff :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

My 4 year old grandson just loves his brio, his big thing is building different layouts, he's very good with the wooden track which fits together easily rather jig-saw like.  It's building a layout, then putting it away and building something different the next session that does it for him. I don't think a permanent layout would work for him, at least not yet.

Lego is a big thing with both grandchildren, they are very innovative with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Luckily my 5 year old prefers dad's trains in the out building. I've made the top yard auto switch between DCC and DC until he is old enough to handle a DCC controller (too many lights and buttons). I even picked up a cheap lima 08 to create a "Sidney" which is his favourite. 

joseph.png.d88000d4ec760991d1f91e9613b837c3.png
20210105_172314.jpg.1ed66fe7f0fb23fd5258dd1fdab1ef77.jpg20210105_172258.jpg.72ac8b0ef55a6f5c17267620ca98a72b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

My 4 year old grandson just loves his brio, his big thing is building different layouts, he's very good with the wooden track which fits together easily rather jig-saw like.  It's building a layout, then putting it away and building something different the next session that does it for him. I don't think a permanent layout would work for him, at least not yet.

Lego is a big thing with both grandchildren, they are very innovative with it.

That's the fun bit at that age. They also don't realise they are learning things like dexterity....

I had a fantastic castle when I was a kid. It was setting it up that was the fun bit rather than playing with it.

No idea what make it was. It wasn't childish like Fisher Price, but not a scale model like Airfix kits. It was much bigger than the Airfix Robin Hood castle though. Large plastic turrets that fitted together and had a working drawbridge and portcullis.  I have looked online, but haven't seen another one. Might have been European though.

• Like 1

That castle sound like the Timpo castle...it came in different size sets..

8616EBB9-E7E7-4F05-B9A6-D8AD9F8184F9.jpeg.e36b67720f39690d388dce0e5e0ec116.jpeg

B5E285E9-28CC-4A21-96D1-DBA567B15121.jpeg.85b7ff2a695c84fe294abafcaf56163c.jpeg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=timpo+medieval+castle&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiTza29_JTuAhXFwoUKHREjCasQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=timpo+castle&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgBMgIIADIGCAAQCBAeOgQIABBDOggIABCxAxCDAToFCAAQsQM6BwgAELEDEEM6BAgAEB46BAgAEBhQ4ooEWOjCBGD0zwRoAHAAeAKAAYIDiAHyJJIBCDAuMTkuNC4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWewAQDAAQE&sclient=img&ei=ANf8X5PNHsWFlwSRxqTYCg&bih=1534&biw=1279&client=safari&safe=strict

Timpo also made a good railway model....It runs on O Gauge plastic track, very similar to Tri-ang Big Big Train track, but black, not red...

F682F841-1451-46D9-8FF2-58F83E41F148.jpeg.9406759e05085786ae5c28902320a44a.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 5