Hornby 2021 - Steam locomotive range

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, TonyMay said:

pity no turbomotive.

With no outside valve gear, I would have thought it relatively easy to do. Still, a totally new body would have to be tooled.  That hasn’t stopped the Hush Hush, though. I thought it might be the turn of the West Coast to have an experimental locomotive. There’s always next year!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm chuffed that the Clan is back, slightly disappointed that Hornby have, in their usual way, refusal to connect some obvious dots. Clan Stewart, as the only member of the class to grace ex-Great Eastern metals, would presumably have sold in reasonable numbers to the GE modelling community, but the version offered is all wrong for the loan period in question, when 72009 had black-backed nameplates, plain black cylinders and an early crest.  As I already have the nameplates, I think I'll be getting Clan MacDonald, and changing the numbers rather than the crests.  

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems to me anyway that those into Ready to Run have never had it so good, so to speak. From Hornby's commercial perspective it is very pragmatic to do things which are lower risk and more likely to sell based on their data analysis rather than what Kevin from the internet might want. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hell has frozen over then...

Return of the Clans. :sungum:

You wait 10 years for a Clan, and then two come at once.

Whilst the hobby moves ever close to fictional, I wonder if they’d consider doing a Clan in BR lined black.. they were MT’s afterall.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looking at the RRPs, I'm SO glad I'm not a model railway new starter or restricted to buying new RTR models! 

What do you mean..

At £179 RRP the price of a Clan has dropped quite a lot from what it was yesterday.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

It could be both.

If the origional tooling has been lost / acidentally destroyed or damaged then Hornby could produce another set from the unaltered CAD files. In such a situation it would be new tooling but not newly designed tooling...

I am reliably informed that the original tooling was never lost or damaged but has remained fully usable.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I am reliably informed that the original tooling was never lost or damaged but has remained fully usable.

In which case Hornby should be congratulated for waiting until demand had reached a crescendo, thereby hopefully ensuring a sell out.

• Like 1

I bought a Bachmann 9F many years ago and consider it still to be an excellent model, competitive with today's standards (pun intended!). This to me seems an unecessary duplication, I had thought Hornby might have gone for a 2MT Tank given their work on the tender version. But for me this catalogue is really quite unimaginative.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Yawn more express passenger locos. I appreciate there is a wow factor to them which probably makes them good sellers but it would have been nice to see Hornby offer something more mid range given the 6P-8P category is already vastly overepresented in Ready to Run 4mm. I was hoping for the H in grey but never mind, next year perhaps! :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pmorgancym said:

Looking in the Railroad bits, Hornby have short memories about repurposing Thomas moulds out of license.  Do you think Bachmann will react?

I wonder if the terms have changed now that Mattel own the franchise and not HiT or HiT's predecessors.

I’ve taken the plunge and pre-ordered the Flying Scotsman but I’m very tempted looking at the Clans maybe with a view to renaming/renumbering to MacLean which was planned but never actually built. My sister married into the McLean Clan

• Like 1

Me scrolling through oh those new Pecketts are very attractive, ooh another 2MT very nice etc  until I got to ...WOW YES! BR standard Clan 6MT is back! surly I am not the only who perfumed an air fist pump with (or something like this) whilst bring my jaw back up from the floor! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Looking in the Railroad bits, Hornby have short memories about repurposing Thomas moulds out of license.  Do you think Bachmann will react?

I think the difference is that Hornbys were originally Hornby locos that were modified to represent Thomas and Percy weren’t they? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I think the difference is that Hornbys were originally Hornby locos that were modified to represent Thomas and Percy weren’t they? 

Thomas was, but I'm pretty sure the Percy body was created for the purpose.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Photographic Grey LNER W1 why bother ?

What Hornby should do IMHO, is  post war sans valances in LNER Garter Blue or the wartime Black  versions . Hornby have never done, a Garter Blue post war LNER livery A4 either.

Very surprised at the Double Chimney original W1 , only ran for a few weeks in testing only and then rebuilt, and it should have a extra fairing on the body as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I don't think it's Bachmann they'd need to worry about, it's the licensor! :triniti:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1