Hornby 2021 - Steam locomotive range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

I presume the logic has something to do with the retooled luggage van.

That's the only thing I could think of, but IIRC, the Churchill train pack (R.3300 *) hung about for ages, so it may be risky. I'd think a fair few sales of the Pullman Hearse Van will go to buyers of the train pack to replace the old one with something on a par with the rest of it anyway.

The last of those packs were cleared out cheap, and quite a few were flogged on for whatever they'd make after the loco had been removed. I'd have probably had one to rename the loco, but I didn't need any more Pullmans.

I have one of the original issue locos (R.2385), which appears the same as the one in the train pack.

John

Edit: * I've just done couple of searches and there are still a few of these kicking about, ranging from a reasonable £223 to a ludicrous £501 by some would-be opportunist....

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

That's the only thing I could think of, but IIRC, the Churchill train pack (R.3300 *) hung about for ages, so it may be risky. I'd think a fair few sales of the Pullman Hearse Van will go to buyers of the train pack to replace the old one with something on a par with the rest of it anyway.

The last of those packs were cleared out cheap, and quite a few were flogged on for whatever they'd make after the loco had been removed. I'd have probably had one to rename the loco, but I didn't need any more Pullmans.

I have one of the original issue locos (R.2385), which appears the same as the one in the train pack.

John

Edit: * I've just done couple of searches and there are still a few of these kicking about, ranging from a reasonable £223 to a ludicrous £501 by some would-be opportunist....

Hornby hasn’t as far as I am aware failed to sell out any streamlined WC or BB using the current tooling quite quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised the Churchill Pack hung around because of the Pullmans and the Hearse Van. When released there were still lots of equivalent Pullmans available separately and that Hearse Van...enough said. I eventually managed to buy the loco separately and the pricing of the coaches was obviously competitive enough for people wanting just Pullmans to buy all the coaches.

So I don’t doubt the BB loco will sell through quickly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Hornby hasn’t as far as I am aware failed to sell out any streamlined WC or BB using the current tooling quite quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised the Churchill Pack hung around because of the Pullmans and the Hearse Van. When released there were still lots of equivalent Pullmans available separately and that Hearse Van...enough said. I eventually managed to buy the loco separately and the pricing of the coaches was obviously competitive enough for people wanting just Pullmans to buy all the coaches.

I'd normally agree; I left it a bit late with Bideford and only managed to get one last week. However, Hornby haven't repeated an earlier Light Pacific release before, let alone one they've already re-run for a train pack.

There were 1,200 of the train packs and (IIRC) the same number of the NRM-branded edition (R.2385) that I have. 2,400 is well in excess of recent release quantities of one "name". AFAIK no more than 2,000 have been produced of any Bulleid Pacific for some years and several are reckoned to be a good deal scarcer than that.

Admittedly, mine is "going back a bit" (2004, I think) but the pack is quite recent and still not hard to find new. I do want these to sell because. If they don't, it might  deter or delay further WC/BB releases.

I don't want to stop at 32, though I'm not reckoning on having all 110, half sounds about right to me! 

John

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, Hornby haven't repeated an earlier Light Pacific release before, let alone one they've already re-run for a train pack.

They won't be exact repeats...the BR green will be different in each case :)

• Funny 8

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2021 at 21:12, brushman47544 said:

What I find incredible with Hornby is the difference in pricing between the airsmooth WC/BOB class, compared to the far superior (2017) tooled airsmooth Merchant Navy.

An RRP of £219.95 for Sir Winston Churchill (Early 2000s tooling) against £189.99 for the latest release Belgian Marine just doesn't make sense.

Imminent delayed releases of this class are even more reasonable at £179.95.

I'm not complaining, but it does seem rather strange.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

What I find incredible with Hornby is the difference in pricing between the airsmooth WC/BOB class, compared to the far superior (2017) tooled airsmooth Merchant Navy.

An RRP of £219.95 for Sir Winston Churchill (Early 2000s tooling) against £189.99 for the latest release Belgian Marine just doesn't make sense.

Imminent delayed releases of this class are even more reasonable at £179.95.

I'm not complaining, but it does seem rather strange.

I suspect the difference is a consequence of what Hornby has had to pay its factories.  Where they are made and when the order was placed will be the factor, not the age of the tooling.

Les

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think RRP is always directly related to unit production costs. Last year's "Bideford" had an RRP of (IIRC) £184.99 so this represents a fairly hefty hike.

It's something that Bachmann are more often accused of than Hornby but there may also be an element of "what the market will stand" involved here. 

We can't know unless Hornby tell us but, given that there already two earlier releases of this loco in circulation, this one may be a quite small run.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2021 at 11:58, brushman47544 said:

The BB 34051 Winston Churchill (R3866) is already in stock with several retailers (who shall remain nameless to avoid favouritism). The green looks similar or is the same as to Bideford.

I've noticed a couple of other differences compared to R3638 34019 Bideford and the previous 34051 Winston Churchill in set R3300. First, the new R3866 Winston Churchill has OHL warning flashes on the buffer beam, which the previous version did but Bideford did not.

And secondly the strange one... The insides of the smoke deflectors are painted green. Not seen that before on any Hornby BB or WC, nor noticed it on any prototype photos. Is that an error or, since R3866 is shown as Era 11, is that how it is painted in the NRM?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I've noticed a couple of other differences compared to R3638 34019 Bideford and the previous 34051 Winston Churchill in set R3300. First, the new R3866 Winston Churchill has OHL warning flashes on the buffer beam, which the previous version did but Bideford did not.

And secondly the strange one... The insides of the smoke deflectors are painted green. Not seen that before on any Hornby BB or WC, nor noticed it on any prototype photos. Is that an error or, since R3866 is shown as Era 11, is that how it is painted in the NRM?

Nope not painted like that at NRM so looks like a mistake. 

87DA297B-C431-49CD-8291-09A22A8B59DF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It wasnt present when it arrived at the Mid Hants for repainting in 2012..

But the OHLE is accurate for Winstons funeral train..

https://anuraguruge.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/sir-winston-churchills-funeral-train-was-hauled-by-battle-of-britain-class-steam-locomotive-no-34051-winston-churchill/

not sure the insides of the smoke deflectors are green.. it looks black to me. I’d be pretty confident the MHR know this and wouldnt do that either.

This was nearing the end of its repaint in September 2014... definitely black then...

Edited by adb968008

On 22/01/2021 at 23:06, brushman47544 said:

I recall at least one Bulleid Pacific being done that way by Hornby but cannot recall which one...  it will appear somewhere in my searches of my photos. It was discussed at the time, aybe two years ago, and put down to a factory error. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic