Hornby 2021 - Steam locomotive range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, micklner said:

Photographic Grey LNER W1 why bother ?

What Hornby should do IMHO, is  post war sans valances in LNER Garter Blue or the wartime Black  versions . Hornby have never done, a Garter Blue post war LNER livery A4 either.

Very surprised at the Double Chimney original W1 , only ran for a few weeks in testing only and then rebuilt, and it should have a extra fairing on the body as well.

Simon has said it’s a total inaccuracy but he thought some modellers may be interested, so he’s done a very small run. Didn’t say how small but small. And he was right, I preordered as soon as it was on Hattons. I think it looks great. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Simon has said it’s a total inaccuracy but he thought some modellers may be interested, so he’s done a very small run. Didn’t say how small but small. And he was right, I preordered as soon as it was on Hattons. I think it looks great. 

And that's fine, except for the fact that they haven't done an accurate model of either this or an A4 post war as Mick said in Garter Blue without valances. Liveries that were actually applied in general service for more than a few weeks or never in some cases as on the W1 (Apple Green)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And? They’ve never done a King in the experimental purple livery or a Castle in the Apple Green, or a Castle with the early BRITISH RAILWAYS branding on the tender. Keep suggesting and it will get done eventually. They hadn't done an apple green A4 until a few years ago. And then they did one. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, MattA said:

Green cylinder covers and lower firebox, now that's a rarity for BR green livery...

Is that authentic ?  I dont believe I ever saw green cylinder covers , but that might be my ignorance 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

Is that authentic ?  I dont believe I ever saw green cylinder covers , but that might be my ignorance 

Here you go. Down the bottom of the page. I wonder if they will do the white on the smokebox numberplate. https://www.theclanproject.org/Clan_History2.php

Edited by Hilux5972
Added info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Looking in the Railroad bits, Hornby have short memories about repurposing Thomas moulds out of license.  Do you think Bachmann will react?

The Thomas model was modified from the old Hornby LBSC E2, and it's now returned as an SECR J2? I'm confused! Or have I missed something?:stink:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Wasn't it Hornby who screamed foul to HIT?

About what?

Mind you, the whole Thomas TV thing has been so "restyled" that it no longer bears much resemblance to anything made by Hornby, so it might not be an issue.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

And? They’ve never done a King in the experimental purple livery or a Castle in the Apple Green, or a Castle with the early BRITISH RAILWAYS branding on the tender. Keep suggesting and it will get done eventually. They hadn't done an apple green A4 until a few years ago. And then they did one. 

They could do a Scot in Apple Green too. IIRC Mainline did one in the 80s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

The Thomas model was modified from the old Hornby LBSC E2, and it's now returned as an SECR J2? I'm confused! Or have I missed something?:stink:

Nothing at all, the common factor is that none of them are accurate representations of their real or fictitious prototypes.

I think Thomas probably got closest.:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

About what?

Mind you, the whole Thomas TV thing has been so "restyled" that it no longer bears much resemblance to anything made by Hornby, so it might not be an issue.

John

Bachmann using the moulds from the US Thomas range as generic faceless locos and selling them in the UK which was Hornby's license territory.  Same arguement that Bachmann had for not selling Starley as Talyllyn in the UK (before the license was unified to Bachmann)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, amwells said:

A photographic grey A4 would be great (and I think real!)

They previously did a SR Light Pacific in the photographic grey. That would make a very interesting collection. Weren’t most loco classes painted grey for their official works portrait? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pmorgancym said:

Bachmann using the moulds from the US Thomas range as generic faceless locos and selling them in the UK which was Hornby's license territory.  Same arguement that Bachmann had for not selling Starley as Talyllyn in the UK (before the license was unified to Bachmann)

Oh, right, that's why I stopped being able to get hold of those useful little 0-4-0 tank mechanisms....

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Its called Carrott dangling  £££$$$ !!!.  A limited edition of a neverwazza !!!!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Now then young man, how many Banana and Footy X/RCTS X trains do you need to haul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Guilty as charged, Phil.

I did some comparative running between my Hornby and Bachmann ones and decided to replace the latter with another of the former. The Bachy one will surrender its tender to my Railroad Schools. Loco will go to my mate's layout as an alternative Nelson sharing a tender. Waste not want not! 

My Bachmann Beachy Head is the one I bought the RCTS headboard for.:angel:

John

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

I did the same. Been wanting a Clan since I started modelling. My wish has now been granted :D

Well its only taken them 10 years to reintroduce this fantastic locomotive! That should stop the £400 plus prices for used ones on a well known auction site! It also holds out hope other models that haven't been in the range for around pushing  at 10 years or just below or slightly above. This must more that these long absences of popular runs could also be reintroduced in future years which i highly expect will indeed be the case.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RyanN91 said:

Well its only taken them 10 years to reintroduce this fantastic locomotive! That should stop the £400 plus prices for used ones on a well known auction site! It also holds out hope other models that haven't been in the range for around pushing  at 10 years or just below or slightly above. This must more that these long absences of popular runs could also be reintroduced in future years which i highly expect will indeed be the case.

The Clans are a bit niche, though I once saw one well off its normal stamping grounds on a Footex.  (Don't remember exactly where, but it may have been on its way to Bristol). 

I'd think their small numbers and relatively limited sphere of operation led Hornby to wait for a good level of demand to build before reintroducing it, and ebay prices are a good way to judge that.

Reviving long-neglected models of this standard extends the range while saving a new tooling or re-tooling of something else this year, but I can't think of much else that they've "rested" for as long. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Clans are a bit niche, though I once saw one well off its normal stamping grounds on a Footex.  (Don't remember exactly where, but it may have been on its way to Bristol). 

I'd think their small numbers and relatively limited sphere of operation led Hornby to wait for a good level of demand to build before reintroducing it, and ebay prices are a good way to judge that.

Reviving long-neglected models of this standard extends the range while saving a new tooling or re-tooling of something else this year, but I can't think of much else that they've "rested" for as long. 

John

A bit niche?

Working on the WCML between three of Britain's biggest cities in an area that is bigger than most of the South Region is hardly niche.

Allocated to Glasgow and Carlisle whilst regularly working to places like Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, Leeds and Crewe. Liverpool/Manchester to Glasgow is something like 220 miles. That's a huge area.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

A bit niche?

Working on the WCML between three of Britain's biggest cities in an area that is bigger than most of the South Region is hardly niche.

Allocated to Glasgow and Carlisle whilst regularly working to places like Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, Leeds and Crewe. Liverpool/Manchester to Glasgow is something like 220 miles. That's a huge area.

Jason

Only ten of them though, and spread over that huge area, your chances of seeing one unless you knew the diagrams they worked or were spotting all day, weren't huge.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Nothing at all, the common factor is that none of them are accurate representations of their real or fictitious prototypes.

I think Thomas probably got closest.:jester:

John

The re- re-purposed E2 may look awful, but it is a (sort of) representation of a unavailable prototype AND it is in SE&CR livery !

It is my most favoured release of this year from Hornby, no matter how awful it is. 

Anyway, next year we can press for a new version based on the dreadfulness of the "present" version.  :D

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Only ten of them though, and spread over that huge area, your chances of seeing one unless you knew the diagrams they worked or were spotting all day, weren't huge.

John

A bit like waiting to see a Princess then? Only 12 of those.

Or a Deltic, A4, MN, King, etc. All hardly built in their hundreds.

Jason

• Like 2