Weathering Track with an airbrush - first timer advice on paint

Norski

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

In the new year i expect to have finished ballasting and be in a position to weather my track. I have never used an airbrush before (i have a Neo Iwata coming from father Christmas) and id like to practice on some separate pieces of track before committing to my layout. I have seen a bewildering array of paint colours from familiar names...Railmatch, Vallejo, AMMO, Tamiya etc

I appreciate that everyone has their favourites and some paints may be suited to certain tasks. My question is what would be a good brand for me to use (as a first timer) and what paint colours would be suitable (subjective that one....late 80s, early 90s layout, tail chaser with station).

Any advice on thinning and not poisoning myself also welcome (I'm thinking stick with acrylics).

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Using an airbrush means, as you've already identified:

• Properly thinned paint
  • Properly protected lungs

For thinners I recommend either using the paint manufacturer's own thinners or Ultimate Acrylic Thinners, and dilute the paint so that it sprays freely and doesn't clog the airbrush. The Neo has a nozzle size that is ideal for spraying large areas with acrylic paint, but don't leave the airbrush with paint in the cup for longer than a couple of minutes.

To stay safe when using an airbrush on the layout (i.e. not inside a spray booth) you should keep the area well ventilated and wear a suitable mask.

If it was me I'd be using Lifecolor Track Dirt but, as you have said, it's a personal thing.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First, thank you for the quick reply - i really appreciate that. Hadn't seen the Lifecolour product. Just had a quick look and they helpfully tell you where each colour suits on the layout. I know that sounds daft to more experienced modellers but these tiny things do help us new boys. You got to start somewhere. 

Noted your comments on thinners and Neo. If im spraying long sections of track im assuming the paint would be in the cup for longer than a couple of minutes but if its being operated the agitation is preventing drying out ?

3 Velux windows in my train room and i ordered the mask (3M) and the airbrush at the same time. My track record on home DIY H&S is not great. Not taking any chances with this stuff. Me and the soldering iron are only just on speaking terms as it is.

Cheers again

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I used Lifecolor track dirt on my G scale layout and am very happy with the results.  To avoid a uniform colour every time I topped up the paint cup I added a drop of another colour eg black, grey, as well as the track dirt.

If its a big job (it took me 4 hours), you will probably need to flush your airbrush out every now and then to stop it blocking up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I use Rowney poster paint for track. Just add plain water. Cleans out easily too. Be aware that using an airbrush gives a very directional result, so coverage from all angles is often needed, well all four compass points. Otherwise the result varies depending on the angle you view if from. Will take a long time using a Neo. The needle is quite fine so coverage is a very small area even wide open. Great for fine detail but for basic coverage I'd prefer to use an airbrush with a bigger needle. But you have to work with what you have.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I`m not a fan of Acrylics so I`ve used the Phoenix/Precision enamel track colour products applied with an airbrush.

Just like paining brass etched kits I`ve used rattle can etch primer products first as I hate seeing paint chipped off  rail heads.

DSC05368.JPG.1e355c5dbdd100ea97316c828834f2e6.JPG

Eventually after ballasting I will use a sharp blade to scrape away the paint and primer from the rails.....

DSC05383.JPG.362b7fb304a0046b65dec002582c8e28.JPG

DSC05856.JPG.b992c7342acc689606a88fc5d9226c91.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Norski said:

Noted your comments on thinners and Neo. If im spraying long sections of track im assuming the paint would be in the cup for longer than a couple of minutes but if its being operated the agitation is preventing drying out ?

How long is long? If you try to go too far at a time you will encounter problems with the airhose catching on things that you didn't think would get in the way. Try attacking a section about a metre long at a time. First airbrush one rail, moving along the length with an even spray, then the other rail in a similar manner and finish with the sleepers, moving the airbrush backwards and forwards across the track. Then go round to the other side of the rails and repeat the first bit, then just touch up the bits of sleeper not covered the first time. Using the larger cup of your Neo you should find that that allows you to do a couple of metre lengths before the paint mixture needs replenishing. Before adding another mix, flush the airbrush through with clean thinners as @ColinK says, above.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of points. 

The iwata neo is excellent. I bought one a year ago and have great results from it.

Having said that, I can spray acrylics very well, but I really struggle getting it to spray enamels, no matter how much I thin them.

Although I'd like to sort that out, I am happy with the acrylics because of the ease of thinning and washing out.

For thinning I use 66/33 mix of water/99% IPA. I don't bother with the proprietary thinners which I'm think are just very expensive versions of the same thing. 

Agree that frequent cleaning is key!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who replied. It answered my question perfectly. Ive ordered a nice selection of Lifecolor paints to get me going. Track weathering was top of my list but i hope to use the airbrush elsewhere to make it cost effective.

John - that track is stunning. Your ballast mix matches one of my test samples. Thats made me a bit more confident I'm on the right track, no pun intended. 

Ian - im going to give the enamels a miss anyway. I have ordered the lifecolor thinner. Will give that a go first but I've also got IPA here as well.

Mick - fantastic - im already memorising that process. If your new to airbrushing these simple steps aren't obvious.

Cheers all !

• Like 1