Hornby 2021 - Diesel and Electric range

AY Mod

5 hours ago, lyneux said:

Yes, on the picture it looks like they’ve used the early Doncaster cab for both releases but technically 56086 should have the later style Doncaster cab without the upper buffer beam cowling. The other detail differences would require an end on view to confirm.

As Roy mentioned, neither release is supposed to be a Romanian example (01-30) so this is irrelevant. Although I would very much like A Romanian to do 56001 Whatley!

Guy

In which case, it's very odd that the illustration has Romanian style grilles and round buffers, neither of which 047 carried.

I’ve already had a reply from SK about the matching the 56 number with the body style , which simply says they will be correct for the number so we’ll have to wait and see.

also mentioned lack of 31/4 and 50s which is noted .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am certainly up for both blue 56s, but I am reluctant to preorder until I know the details are right. 56s are a minefield of differences around the cab. Hornby* have shown they have variations, but have also shown an ability to use the wrong ones. 

Roy

* Hornby are not unique with this fault. 

Fantastic to see the new liveries! Its Fantastic Hornby across all brands (Corgi Pride routemaster etc) are extending their LGBTQ+ range with Class 66, Class 800 GWR Trainbow and Aventi Trains Pendolino Pride livery I wish I bought this pendolino now instead of last years! :D I love how the Class 47 RailRoad plus has reintroduced the very long awaited reintroduced livery BR ScotRail Lady Diana Spencer wow too long. I love the bagnall shunter in BR blue.

12 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

LGBTQ+ range

Whilst the LGBTQ+ movement isn't something I particularly support as such (I definitely don't disagree with it I just don't involve myself), I do like the liveries it has resulted in. That pride Pendo is brilliant, and I am contemplating that at 5 or 6 cars and a same length normal Avanti one to go with it if I can work out a geographical justification for it!

I have always been somebody who loves bright colours so I really like the liveries. I am surprised it has taken until now for a Pride of GBRF, just a shame it is a Hornby one!

Edited by TomScrut

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I am pleased with the 60s! I need to do a bit of research as to if the two GBRF ones are still functional, 60026 I think had a fire not so long ago. But will be great pulling my AS biomass wagons (and I still haven't given up hope of more Drax ones given all 95 and 26 do is pull them or IIAs it seems)

I always love a 60 anyway but they do look particularly nice,would be nice to get all of them but I think it would be 60026 for me,but I really am spoiled for choice on this new range,kudos to Hornby.

C2F16FE4-C80B-4819-BEE9-DE96CF0CF79D.jpeg.495ad80e91705138967879672294f8e3.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, blueeighties said:

In which case, it's very odd that the illustration has Romanian style grilles and round buffers, neither of which 047 carried.

I hadn’t noticed the square grill mesh and round buffers. Oh dear, what a mish mash of details. Not correct for either loco.

Guy

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

60s - shame no older liveries bit I think they know what sells - the loadhaul and sector 60s have hung around for ages on eBay . 

Agreed, although the sector liveries are about 12 years too late coming - always seems strange really how Hornby often don't appear to capitalise on the myriad of liveries out there when the time is right.  Neither does it help when Hornby get the liveries wrong...  I'd have happily purchased a fair number of Construction 60s, but with the logo being in the wrong place and the highly dubious shades of grey used for sector grey livery over the last few years, I'm happy to carry on renumbering older models...   :rolleyes:

08715 seems a right oddball, I can imagine that one sitting around for quite some time...

The 87s are of the most interest, with my two favourite liveries being produced.  

Al 

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Theres a lot of discussion about the cab ends of the two 56s.  In actuality there were 3 different designs. The roumanian ones had the original cab design, with flush horn grille, class 47 esque buffer cowling, rubber grommit cab front windows and grommits fixing the cab side (which was in 2 pieces) and cab door windows fixings. Bodyside mesh was square. Lights were recessed and a small headlight with a black surround fitted.  From 56031 the design was slightly changed, cab front windows stayed the same, but the cab side windows became one piece and the fitment changed losing the very obvious black rubber grommits. Bodyside mesh changed to diamond pattern, the buffer cowls disappeared on the sides but kept the front top lip. Doncaster plates were fitted to the newer smaller buffer frame sides. From 056 the front changed radically,  buffer cowling disappeared completely, a front step appeared, lamp irons were fitted directly to the cab front lights and horn grille were no longer flush or recessed, the front windows lost the rubber fxings. The large headliht wasnt fitted until 061.  Large logo livery appeared from  084. Crewe locos differed only with the works plate and the bodyside grille turned silver grey.

So the two locos should have different ends but 047 should be the early doncaster version, 086 the later.

Apologies for length of post and for teaching grannies to suck eggs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

It's a reasonable list of the detail differences. If you want a full table of these and are a member of DEMU, we have written them up in table-form on the DEMU wiki (https://forum.demu.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=British_Rail_Class_56).

I agree, there are almost three main cab variants: Romanian (0-30), Early Doncaster (031-055) and Late Doncaster/Crewe (056-135) although the only difference between Romanian and Early Doncaster cabs are the side windows (as you point out).

What you left off the list is that 56031 and 032 are unique in having the early Doncaster cab but with the full buffer beam cowling (as per the Romanian locos). So it's more of an evolution in the design than anything. The detail differences go beyond just the cabs: there are also differences in cab door handrail lengths/patterns as well as the side grilles (already mentioned).

It's odd that Hornby have shown us photos with a mish-mash of details as they have more-or-less got the details spot on in the past. The only release that I can remember that wasn't 100% spot-on was 032 where they omitted the lower part of the bufferbeam cowling (but my interest is late 80s so I can't really comment on the later body mods).

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Always liked the CL60s, would have been nice to see 60081 IKB in the line up, would like one to replace my now defunct Lima version.

However, 60026  'Helvelyn' looks really nice and I have pre-ordered from Hattons at £170, the sound chip from IKB will be put into it.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Global said:

There was a skinhead last year, but to my knowledge Hornby have not done any refurbished BR Blue Class 31s with them all being in early condition and definitely no BR Blue 31/4s.

I’d welcome the latter and would probably buy 4 or 5 if they became available.

After a decade, there is a Clan, so there is hope.

Ive lost mine, however.. I just elected for cheap upgrades of my Lima ones.

Given the myriad of 1990’s liveries these had, waiting for Hornby to do them all, my Grandkids may come first and it’ll be my kids sat in the chair in that Hornby 200 year video, looking at a crusty picture of me watching Hornbys website way back in 2021 looking for a 31, and visiting my grave to show it me.

(but there still wont be a post 2000 built Multiple Unit  in the range).

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the BR blue and large logo but I would have thought that DCR’s two Class 56’s would have been a good choice, or did Hornby feel that they got their fingers burnt with their green DCR version?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Nothing at all from Hornby if you like class 50s.... I think that Cappagh/DCR class 60 is a must have.

try modelling a modern era Anglia setup if you want to know what "nothing at all" really feels like that.

I wouldnt mind so much but its just a question of a different livery on alot of stuff they already make.

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

Always liked the CL60s, would have been nice to see 60081 IKB in the line up, would like one to replace my now defunct Lima version.

However, 60026  'Helvelyn' looks really nice and I have pre-ordered from Hattons at £170, the sound chip from IKB will be put into it.

I agree, but I don’t think they would pee off the 1000 or so who brought the rail express limited edition, unless they made it different like weathered * (* recoils in horror at factory weathering ).

you are sorted this year if you are a GBRF 60 fan. I’m not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Glad to see the BR blue and large logo but I would have thought that DCR’s two Class 56’s would have been a good choice, or did Hornby feel that they got their fingers burnt with their green DCR version?

Quite possibly. It didn’t help that the green livery was applied to only one 56, which by the time the model had been released was (and I believe still is) sat out of use with its drooping cab in Wembley Yard. 

• Agree 1

Any other Class 87 lovers out there that might have a view on the livery for 87006?

I have looked at over a dozen images now in ex works and lightly weathered condition and cannot quite decide whether Hornby have the doors correctly picked out in black.  One image I have seen almost looks like the door itself is black (along with the cab window surrounds) but the door surround looks like its in the bodyside dark grey.    Would anybody else like to comment ?   I was convinced the doors were dark grey until I saw the loco in another image.  Its not such an easy call to make.  The Hornby image doesnt look right and its not yet known whether the model is subject to a final check off and correction yet anyway but worth nipping in the bud if not.

I was planning to email SK later this week as I have noticed too that the orange cant rail stripe wraps around the cab ends when it stopped short of the cabs plus the nameplate looks a touch too low down.  I have yet to spot anything else that should be addressed.  

• Like 1