Hornby 2021 - Diesel and Electric range

AY Mod

On 05/01/2021 at 13:42, ruggedpeak said:

Wonder if the couplers shown in the image will make it to the model?

And is this the first Sentinel released with side railings instead of solid panels, or have I missed this in the past?

I was aware this variation existed in reality since former ECC P403D 'Denise' now preserved at Bodmin is like this (although it has an air brake compressor cabinet on one side).

28 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Any other Class 87 lovers out there that might have a view on the livery for 87006?

I have looked at over a dozen images now in ex works and lightly weathered condition and cannot quite decide whether Hornby have the doors correctly picked out in black.  One image I have seen almost looks like the door itself is black (along with the cab window surrounds) but the door surround looks like its in the bodyside dark grey.    Would anybody else like to comment ?   I was convinced the doors were dark grey until I saw the loco in another image.  Its not such an easy call to make.  The Hornby image doesnt look right and its not yet known whether the model is subject to a final check off and correction yet anyway but worth nipping in the bud if not.

I was planning to email SK later this week as I have noticed too that the orange cant rail stripe wraps around the cab ends when it stopped short of the cabs plus the nameplate looks a touch too low down.  I have yet to spot anything else that should be addressed.  

The Hornby doors do look black but also having looked at lots of images think they are grey. Either way they look black so if Hornby do the doors black I won't loose too much sleep over it.

21 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

And is this the first Sentinel released with side railings instead of solid panels, or have I missed this in the past?

I was aware this variation existed in reality since former ECC P403D 'Denise' now preserved at Bodmin is like this (although it has an air brake compressor cabinet on one side).

I think so. I can't remember any previous ones and it does say "New Tooling".

The two Sentinels were the only D&E things I took much notice of. Apart from the Ruston 88DS.

The Hitachi one was apparently used for shunting Javelins at Ashford, so probably a bit too obscure and modern for me. But possibly one to keep an eye out for if it gets discounted.

Too much brightly coloured stuff for my tastes though. Whatever floats your boat and all that, but I prefer my locos being quite plain. Although not quite as plain as the TfW Class 67!

Pictures on the sides and slogans don't really do it for me. It does make you yearn for the bog standard BR blue and grey era....

Jason

• Agree 2

On 05/01/2021 at 21:51, TomScrut said:

Whilst the LGBTQ+ movement isn't something I particularly support as such (I definitely don't disagree with it I just don't involve myself), I do like the liveries it has resulted in. That pride Pendo is brilliant, and I am contemplating that at 5 or 6 cars and a same length normal Avanti one to go with it if I can work out a geographical justification for it!

I have always been somebody who loves bright colours so I really like the liveries. I am surprised it has taken until now for a Pride of GBRF, just a shame it is a Hornby one!

That LGBTQ+ Pendo appears to be a 10-car set (5-cars in R30081 plus individual coaches R40196, R40197, R40198, R40199 and R40200). What am I missing?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

That LGBTQ+ Pendo appears to be a 10-car set (5-cars in R30081 plus individual coaches R40196, R40197, R40198, R40199 and R40200). What am I missing?

Very good point. Looks to me like they have duplicated a coach in the pack. So I wonder if it is 5 car or 4 car, the standard Avanti pack is a 4 pack.

IIRC the real life set is a 9 car.

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Very good point. Looks to me like they have duplicated a coach in the pack. So I wonder if it is 5 car or 4 car, the standard Avanti pack is a 4 pack.

IIRC the real life set is a 9 car.

I did wonder whether to mention the duplicated coach in R30081 as well, because I searched Flickr for a pic of the real thing and that coach doesn't appear to be duplicated there. Seems to be an 11-car set though, which I think makes sense given the set number (if I recall correctly the 11-car sets are subclassed 390/1). Perhaps you're right and R30081 is a 4 pack, with Hornby producing it as a 9-car with two vehicles missing / to follow in 2022.

1 hour ago, Rhydgaled said:

I did wonder whether to mention the duplicated coach in R30081 as well, because I searched Flickr for a pic of the real thing and that coach doesn't appear to be duplicated there. Seems to be an 11-car set though, which I think makes sense given the set number (if I recall correctly the 11-car sets are subclassed 390/1). Perhaps you're right and R30081 is a 4 pack, with Hornby producing it as a 9-car with two vehicles missing / to follow in 2022.

Yes it is 11 car just found a pic. I have also identified there are 2 coaches missing, and there is no duplication as you say.

Its a funny one. How much will demand ramp off for those extra two coaches? Most people who can run a 9 car (or want to collect the full set) would want 11 I expect?

Actually the catalogue (which has turned up since I made the post) only has 4 cars on the picture of the train pack and specifically states it will make a 9 car pack with the extra coaches.

Edited by TomScrut

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Too much brightly coloured stuff for my tastes though. Whatever floats your boat and all that, but I prefer my locos being quite plain. Although not quite as plain as the TfW Class 67!

Pictures on the sides and slogans don't really do it for me. It does make you yearn for the bog standard BR blue and grey era....

Jason

Yup, that's my position too! 

One other point which occurred to me this morning, I hope the Class 47s get fitted with the correct longer buffers this time and not the last batch's short Class 73 versions which looked a bit ridiculous - as they do on the 73s where the vestibule running plates project further - although in fairness to Hornby I suspect the smaller/shorter couplings now fitted are the reason for the shorter buffers.

• RMweb Gold

On that point, anyone recommend an aftermarket supplier of buffers to replace the railroad push in pin in type, got the GBRF 47 last year and I want to improve the front end a bit and buffers the first obvious thing to change, quite happy with cosmetic non sprung type 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

On that point, anyone recommend an aftermarket supplier of buffers to replace the railroad push in pin in type, got the GBRF 47 last year and I want to improve the front end a bit and buffers the first obvious thing to change, quite happy with cosmetic non sprung type 

SLW class 24 Oleo buffers are great !

8 for £10 too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes it is 11 car just found a pic. I have also identified there are 2 coaches missing, and there is no duplication as you say.

Pendos are easy to identify as 9 or 11 car sets if you have the set number.

The 9 car sets are 3900xx, the 11 car sets are 3901xx 

The 11 car sets retained the xx part of the number when they were upped to 11 from 9.

eg. 390041 became 390141.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At least I can now crack on with a repaint of a recently acquired S/H 60 to DCR 60029.

I notice the new release of 60s still appear to have the NRN pod on the cab roof.

(IIRC only the very first few of the Super 60 project retained it)

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Its a funny one. How much will demand ramp off for those extra two coaches? Most people who can run a 9 car (or want to collect the full set) would want 11 I expect?

Actually the catalogue (which has turned up since I made the post) only has 4 cars on the picture of the train pack and specifically states it will make a 9 car pack with the extra coaches.

Am I right in thinking that Hornby don’t actually produce/have tooling for the two extra coaches?

How different they are to others I’m not sure but from memory there is one that looks like it should have a pantograph but doesn’t?! 

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Looking through the catalogue, I can't help but wonder how it is decided what is in railroad and what isn't?

The 156, 66, 92 and 90 are all what I'd call Railroad standard and pricing but are in the main range.

Another one I would consider to be RailRoad standard is the 73 - if it isn't already. Particularly odd ball efforts like this (Shhh... no one will notice is isn't a 73/9)...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gbrf-class-73-bo-bo-73965-era-11.html

Speaking of which, who researches the details for the Hornby catalogue these days? This year's seems to be littered with easily correctable mistakes, eg: "GB Rail freight took ownership of the locomotive from 2014, renumbering it to 73965". 

Edited by surfsup
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Speaking of which, who researches the details for the Hornby catalogue these days? This year's seems to be littered with easily correctable mistakes

One thing that bugs me is the inconsistency of information, or should I say consistency of what the information means. Under "period" if you look at the HST packs it has all sorts of random dates. It has dates in the 70s for some (probably introduction dates for those power cars) and the dates of when they could be seen in that livery for others. I can see why the HST 2019 tour pack may have caused confusion given it is pretty much specific to a few weeks in 2019-2020 but not the standard LNER liveried one which was like that from mid 2018 onwards as a guess.

They should either make it mean when the thing was introduced, or when it was first in that livery but not a mixture of both IMO

On 08/01/2021 at 00:06, newbryford said:

At least I can now crack on with a repaint of a recently acquired S/H 60 to DCR 60029.

I notice the new release of 60s still appear to have the NRN pod on the cab roof.

(IIRC only the very first few of the Super 60 project retained it)

One for you Mick, only carried on 60029 from memory.

IMG_20201014_124719.jpg.61e3188f3d17408b0a3ba4880e1038fb.jpg

Jo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see the 56 in the large logo livery, would have liked one last year but had to settle for 56 108 in RF livery, but it is a fantastic model in terms of detail and electrical drive systems. There is however a lack of provisioning from a DCC point of view. It doesn't have cab lights or the ability to switch off the rear lights for when its pulling a load, there is also a lack of space for fitting a sound decoder and speaker. I find Hornby's decision to stick with an 8 pin socket very odd and immediately limits the DCC functionality that can be controlled, perhaps thats why we only get front and rear lights. It's disappointing in this day and age - are Hornby expecting most of their customers to be still using analogue DC systems? They seem to be way behind many other manufacturers from that point of view.

The fans in my model don't rotate, but it isn't a big deal as I think the belt driven fan system seems to be a flawed idea to me. Ideally the fan system should be electrically operated but I appreciate this maybe impractical. 

Edited by APT Fan
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2021 at 21:18, APT Fan said:

Nice to see the 56 in the large logo livery, would have liked one last year but had to settle for 56 108 in RF livery, but it is a fantastic model in terms of detail and electrical drive systems. There is however a lack of provisioning from a DCC point of view. It doesn't have cab lights or the ability to switch off the rear lights for when its pulling a load, there is also a lack of space for fitting a sound decoder and speaker. I find Hornby's decision to stick with an 8 pin socket very odd and immediately limits the DCC functionality that can be controlled, perhaps thats why we only get front and rear lights. It's disappointing in this day and age - are Hornby expecting most of their customers to be still using analogue DC systems? They seem to be way behind many other manufacturers from that point of view.

The fans in my model don't rotate, but it isn't a big deal as I think the belt driven fan system seems to be a flawed idea to me. Ideally the fan system should be electrically operated but I appreciate this maybe impractical. 

Just redone my 56 this weekend. It actually has plenty of space if you are prepared to be a bit creative (without needing to modify the chassis). Mine has a decoder, long double iphone speaker and a PowerPack in it. The tail lights have been made independently controlled and cab lights fitted - and none of that spoils the view through the bodyside grills and the roof fans are still in place. 

Hardest job was the lights as in their infinite wisdom Hornby made them common cathode, not common anode :(. I had to remove the surface mount LEDs and fit new ones the opposite way round. I took the opportunity to change the light colour as well as for a 1980s Class 56, bright white wasn't right.

Edit: Modified light colour, original left, new on the right - and yes, I know I broke the handrail :cray_mini:

1986916342_56Lights.png.e814020dfd78d1c42651ac13af0023c3.png

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hardest job was the lights as in their infinite wisdom Hornby made them common cathode, not common anode 

That only applies to TTS/DCC ready locos though doesn't it? I believe the factory sound with LS4s had common anode but might be wrong, likewise with 60s.

I do intend making the lighting on my 56 independent as it is a 21 piner with LS4.

On 16/01/2021 at 21:18, APT Fan said:

There is however a lack of provisioning from a DCC point of view.

Unfortunately like most things in a red box. Hopefully they'll learn sooner rather than later!

The silly thing is even the argument some have of Hornby treating their (£150) locos as "toys" doesn't hold water, better lighting adds play value.

By biggest bugbear with Hornby at the moment.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That only applies to TTS/DCC ready locos though doesn't it? I believe the factory sound with LS4s had common anode but might be wrong, likewise with 60s.

I do intend making the lighting on my 56 independent as it is a 21 piner with LS4.

No idea, never have bought a sound equipped Hornby loco. It is utter madness if that is the case, why have two different light boards?

Roy

• Like 1