Hornby 2021 - Diesel and Electric range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No idea, never have bought a sound equipped Hornby loco. It is utter madness if that is the case, why have two different light boards?

Roy

Yep - it's a Hornby thing......

First came to the fore when people tried swapping bodies on the original Loksound fitted 60s with non sound fitted 60s.

The two cab interiors have different lighting boards and the lights wouldn't work when the bodies were swapped.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just redone my 56 this weekend. It actually has plenty of space if you are prepared to be a bit creative (without needing to modify the chassis). Mine has a decoder, long double iphone speaker and a PowerPack in it. The tail lights have been made independently controlled and cab lights fitted - and none of that spoils the view through the bodyside grills and the roof fans are still in place. 

Hardest job was the lights as in their infinite wisdom Hornby made them common cathode, not common anode :(. I had to remove the surface mount LEDs and fit new ones the opposite way round. I took the opportunity to change the light colour as well as for a 1980s Class 56, bright white wasn't right.

Edit: Modified light colour, original left, new on the right - and yes, I know I broke the handrail :cray_mini:

1986916342_56Lights.png.e814020dfd78d1c42651ac13af0023c3.png

Roy

I did manage to get a really good deal on my loco, but it is an expensive bit of kit to be modifying and I'm not sure I'd be as ambitious for now. You've mentioned about the handrails and I do feel that the detailing is quite flimsy, those hooks on the bogie just underneath the buffers always seem to snap off and the bogie pipework detail pops off if you pick it up with your fingers in the wrong place. Its a bit heart in mouth when handling it and you need to be careful not to damage it. The lighting connectors are a bit iffy and I've noticed very slight bodywork defects where the screw studs have been moulded into the roof, so there are a couple of quality issues.

The standard Lok 5 sound decoder fits with the standard sugercube speaker but I've mounted it above the rear drive shaft using some plasticard, it fits as its probably the smallest speaker available but the point it that it hasn't really been 'provisioned for'.

I don't really have a big issue with the light colour as I've always assumed the 56 spotlights were tungsten halogen even back in the day rather than incandescent. The yellow LEDs didn't quite look like the right temperature so I've used white's on the Dapol / Mainline 56s that I've converted. I've just converted a Lima 47 and 50 and used yellows for the headcode / cab lights and whites for the spotlights. I think Bachmman use this approach on their 47s. The lights look a little blue on your picture, but I didn't get that feeling when I studied them. This is a picture of the Hornby 56 with factory fitted lighting and a Mainline 56 with the whites I'd fitted, the photo was taken in daylight on a phone camera.

Class 56 (18).jpg

Edited by APT Fan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I don't really have a big issue with the light colour as I've always assumed the 56 spotlights were tungsten halogen even back in the day rather than incandescent. The yellow LEDs didn't quite look like the right temperature so I've used white's on the Dapol / Mainline 56s that I've converted

I was not sure about the light colour so I spent ages watching videos of 56s in the middle 80s. The definitely had a yellow hue to them:

1180666471_56in1986.png.90eb6638c6eff18cfbcb413545adc684.png

(from a video recorded in 1986)

Roy

My layout is a BR Blue era non-electrified  carriage/parcels sidings but I am contemplating having a 56 drop off some tankers for the fuelling point and adding catenary to the reception road so I can have some 87s pop in from time to time.

1 hour ago, KDG said:

The new Hornby website now has 37884 in Europhoenix ROG livery available for pre order, a change from previously listed 37510.

Brilliant, seems like Simon Kohler has received my email and taken onboard feedback regarding the nose-ends for the ex-Lima Class 37 tooling that Hornby uses.

• Like 1

for LEDs that were on the white side and yellow not ideal either i have found a dab or two of dark varnish dulls them nicely.   try one coat first let it dry then light it up and see if another coat is needed.

the alternative if you can change the LEDs is perhaps try warm white but the above can still apply.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 16:34, TomScrut said:

Looking through the catalogue, I can't help but wonder how it is decided what is in railroad and what isn't?

The 156, 66, 92 and 90 are all what I'd call Railroad standard and pricing but are in the main range.

The 90 is in the Railroad range as R3585 BR Executive livery. The one in the  main range is R3924 Malcolm Rail. Neither are new for 2021 so catalogued due to the extent of stocks of them and presumably if new this year the Malcolm Rail one would be in the Railroad Plus range through its "enhanced livery".  Similarly the 156 and 92 are not new for 2021. The oddity are the 66s which really should be Railroad, or Railroad Plus for those with more extensive liveries.

Slightly odd is the 73 where R3910 73964 Jeanette is a Railroad Plus loco as it is supplied with etched plates but the new for 2021 R3911 73965 is a Railroad loco although whilst obviously not having etched plates has an additional logos on two cab sides and hence costs more to produce.

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

for LEDs that were on the white side and yellow not ideal either i have found a dab or two of dark varnish dulls them nicely.   try one coat first let it dry then light it up and see if another coat is needed.

the alternative if you can change the LEDs is perhaps try warm white but the above can still apply.

Its a moot point for me. As a modeler you need to consider what the temperature of LED you have available, value of load resistor you decide upon and what 'colour' of lens the light is passing through. Even 'clear' light tubes will effect the colour seen, I often paint red lenses fitted with red LEDs with red paint to get a deeper colour. Some people prefer brighter lights, some don't, sometimes I'll change the brightness with the CV setting.

In terms of authenticity, again there are lots of things to consider, who serviced the loco, what bulbs did they fit, what wattage, what lighting unit was fitted, has it been updated, if so when, are the lights covered in coal dust etc. So it isn't surprising that when you study pictures there are significant variances and I'm not sure I'd go with VHS images as it wasn't a great technology for colour reproduction. Some of the images for spot lighting below look very bright to me so I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, but I would agree that yellow is probably better for the older headcode units which weren't designed for high wattage bulbs. 

https://railrevisited.blogspot.com/2019/06/1980s-pictorial-diesels-at-birmingham-new-street.html

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Did I read correctly that Hornby are using their 47 tooling ( not sure if that’s their one or the Lima one ) , as the basis for the NR yellow class 57 ?

Seems to be so Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Railroad plus is rapidly diving in credibility.

to be fair, it is intended as the trainset range, with a better paint job.

As long as they put the right number, livery & tooling combination together and get it as accurate as they can its fine, but 37884 I dont need.

47593 is the one of interest to me, that said if Bachmann was to spring it on us.. then my loyalty will instantly shift.

To be fair to Hornby they have said that the Railroad and Railroad plus range is not 100% accurate, it's just meant to be a representation.  Also worth noting that some of the new Railroad models are not described as Railroad Plus so will have a less detailed paint job.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2021 at 18:22, APT Fan said:

How do you ensure 100% accuracy though? What's the measure?

British Enterprise comes to mind... for £200... its got a name, its painted Green on another... why not BR lined green in original condition too ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

British Enterprise comes to mind... for £200... its got a name, its painted Green on another... why not BR lined green in original condition too ?

That’s a bit OTT. It was originally supposed to carry a name so has historical premise. Cards from the time show it was going to have Apple green livery so again has historical accuracy. The rebuilt works grey i agree has no historical accuracy as Simon has made very clear. 

49 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s a bit OTT. It was originally supposed to carry a name so has historical premise. Cards from the time show it was going to have Apple green livery so again has historical accuracy. The rebuilt works grey i agree has no historical accuracy as Simon has made very clear. 

I think quirky "what could have been" models are completely different in terms of being regarded inaccurate to those where ignorance/apathy/cost efficiency is the reasoning.

Painting a picture of somebody and putting different clothes on them is different to drawing them in the same clothes as they posed in but forgetting to paint their right arm.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2021 at 08:17, Hilux5972 said:

History is littered with could have, should have and maybes.

most of them stopped being modelled after  the trainsets of 1970’s, but in 2020 they are making a comeback... the 4/6 wheel coaches, W1 shows imagination is growing.

If people want it then why not, I have several “what might have beens” in my collection, I find then fascinating. But its tempered to specifics and all are custom.

is it becoming mainstream to have a bit of fakery in the collection, or are we just on a slippery slope back to the 1970’s trainset ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1