Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

That is true, thanks, I'd forgotten / overlooked that.

It still looks substandard alongside the Bachmann, particularly with the heavy 'pipework' under the RHS cab - much finer on the Bachmann.

We all know courtesy of Sam's Trains' comments, about Hornby using bushings ('bearings') and Bachmann not, so the Hornby should run better for longer ... and those I've had have been quite decent, but no better than the Bachmann which doesn't have any bushings, and a smaller, 3-pole motor as well!

I've had a Hornby Lord Nelson in the last year and have been totally underwhelmed by it's running - cannot run with a 'reasonable train' - 6-7 with lights or 10-11 without - for more than 20 minutes at half power, DC, HM2000, before getting very warm.

I had my old EWS Hornby 56 running at less power for 10 hours last Saturday and remained perfect - probably needs a dab of oil now!

Basically I'm not liking the new steam locomotive chassis - seems the motors get hot whereas the old, larger 5-pole skew-wound motors didn't that much.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pandora said:

9F 92167 became a 2-8-2 after both rearmost  sections of the coupling rods were removed, will Hornby model that unique feature?

Myth unfortunately.

it had the coupling rod removed, after withdrawal. It didnt run like that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MattA said:

If I was desperate to get an Evening Star I think I'd be getting the NRM edition one with the perfectly adequate Bachmann tooling that's £40 cheaper from Locomotion Models...

Is that the one where the lining on the tender is in the wrong place, or did they replace the bodies ?

• Like 1

The Bachmann version is a really good model. I listened with interested to SKs comments that he'd seen the CAD for this and it bettered the A2/2 which had received accolades as being outstanding - the 9f would better it. This is one I'm looking forward to seeing. But it'll need to go some to better what's currently available. I doubt personally I'll get any. Why- because I've 7 Bachmann versions. Purchased when more affordable.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel a great opportunity was lost by not announcing a Tyne Dock and a rebuilt Crosti versions.  Do we really need another “Evening Star”?

Hopefully, these versions will appear in 2022.

Edited by jools1959
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I feel a great opportunity was lost and not announcing a Tyne Dock and a rebuilt Crosti versions.  Do we really need another “Evening Star”?

Hopefully, these versions will appear in 2022.

A massive opportunity missed in not offering the Tyne Dock variant this year, especially given the depth of the tooling variations. The Crosti? Less so in my opinion and this was certainly not part of the tooling variations when I left.

With KR Models producing the ‘right’ hoppers, albeit not to modern standards, there is a an opportunity to match motive power to rolling stock, however I doubt we’ll see the 9Fs much before Easter 2022, which will impact on Year 2 releases.

Maybe a mid-year announcement?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I bought a Bachmann 9F many years ago and consider it still to be an excellent model, competitive with today's standards (pun intended!). This to me seems an unecessary duplication, I had thought Hornby might have gone for a 2MT Tank given their work on the tender version.  Even if its an amazing model, much like the Lord Nelsons I'm happy with my Bachmann version and especially at today's prices!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I Love the 9f and the Bachmann version is very good but it really does need updating, as I see many things on it that could be better, it is overpriced for what it is, so I am over the moon that  Hornby will be updating their version. Hope they will do it justice and not just redesign it so they can produce the other variants more easily. improvements over the Bachmann version I would like to see would include better firebox/ash pan detail, and pipework below the footplate, reverser linkage, frame detail (specially the rhs motion brackets), rear frames detail, cab detailing, washout plugs, correct wheel designs and axle end details. Also hope they do not use the same type of cheap plastic which Bachman used for the regulator linkage and pipework.

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That is true, thanks, I'd forgotten / overlooked that.

It still looks substandard alongside the Bachmann, particularly with the heavy 'pipework' under the RHS cab - much finer on the Bachmann.

We all know courtesy of Sam's Trains' comments, about Hornby using bushings ('bearings') and Bachmann not, so the Hornby should run better for longer ... and those I've had have been quite decent, but no better than the Bachmann which doesn't have any bushings, and a smaller, 3-pole motor as well!

Only Bachmanns older tooling models don't use bearings. Which he seems to make a fuss off and doesn't pick it up on newer models

• Like 1

If 92167 was constructed in 1958. I think it unlikely to have an early crest?

Possibly a tender swap with a 9f in service..... Though it couldn't be because of the mechanical stoker.

Any thoughts?

Edited by davidw

6 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Only Bachmanns older tooling models don't use bearings. Which he seems to make a fuss off and doesn't pick it up on newer models

TBH, unless you're running them non-stop for 3 months, or something similar, you'll probably never notice the difference.

I've regularly noticed Bachmann chassis being smoother / having fewer 'tight spots' than Hornby chassis.

Al.

31 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Totally agree, the Bachmann 9F is a hard act to follow - looks right and paint's just right ... for me anyway.

Al.

I too like the Bachmann 9F   truly superb, but Hornby did the 4MT 4-6-0 which shaded the Bachmann one in my opinion, 

It will be interesting to say the least.  I read somewhere, or was told by Simon himself that the 4MT 4-6-0 was his favourite model, but that was ten years ago or more.

The finer detailing which Hornby tends to use will certainly make a 9F into a tour de force.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The old Hornby 9f cleaned up quite well.

Whilst the chassis was hopelessly dated, as the tender, the body wasnt bad.

However, whilst the Bachmann 9F out paces it by miles, in my experience it pulls very poor.

Hornby’s Crosti 9f was really nice, had they put it with the detailed Britannia tender, rather than the older railroad tender it would imho sit in the main range.

i’m agnostic to this 9f, some how I dont think its going to set the world on fire, but if it matches the Bachmann one on detail, has the same levels of detail the recent MN had on its wheels / motion, and out pulls the Bachmann 9f, .. I could be swayed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

The 2021 sneak corner cover catalogue preview from the advent calendar gave the game away! Damn Hornby after owning the 40th Anniversary Evening Star and the Centenary 1971 one! plus the Evening Star Railroad and R3273 Hornby BR 2-10-0 Franco Crosti Boiler 9F Class - Early BR! :o:D do I really want a newly tooled Evening Star and a BR black 9F livery one? :tender::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

The 2021 sneak corner cover catalogue preview from the advent calendar gave the game away! Damn Hornby after owning the 40th Anniversary Evening Star and the Centenary 1971 one! plus the Evening Star Railroad and R3273 Hornby BR 2-10-0 Franco Crosti Boiler 9F Class - Early BR! :o:D do I really want a newly tooled Evening Star and a BR black 9F livery one? :tender::laugh:

Yes of course you do. I have the locomotion special edition of evening star, but that will remain in its special box once a Hornbys new one arrives. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes of course you do. I have the locomotion special edition of evening star, but that will remain in its special box once a Hornbys new one arrives. 

Yes I probably do! :laugh:I'm the same I don't use my limited,/ special editions etc so I might get the new Rocket train pack as well! So I can have the Royal Mail Coach! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Doesn't seem to be an example that'd be easily converted to 92203 though. Could do a full repaint of the Evening Star model when it comes out, but why would I ruin that to paint one black...

It’s the first release. They can’t release every variant straight away. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5