Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Surely with that long boiler a Speaker can go under the Chimney area, Sounds a lot better to that coming from the rear of the loco!

I have the Baccy Evening Star, A last treat for myself just before I left the Model Shop Job and very nice it is too and I will be keeping that as the one and only 9F I will be getting.

Good luck to Hornby with their one.

Plenty of room in the smokebox of the Bachmann version for a speaker and the chip easily fits in the loco. A lot depends on the size of a layout, the acoustics of the room it is in and individual  preferences but I agree sounds from the front of a loco, especially a larger loco sound better coming from the chimney than from the tender.  Agree too that a 9F is a brave choice given the quality of the Bachmann  version, its ongoing availability and the number already 'in service'. Bachmann might even be tempted to drop their price to significantly undercut the Hornby version when it finally appears :)

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 23:07, atom3624 said:

The other problem is that Hornby pristine isn't pristine - it's dull, matt finish.

Broken record time, but Bachmann get pristine MUCH better than Hornby more often than not.

Locos don't return from fresh paint / full washdown with spotless matt paint, it's shiny.

We agree that full gloss doesn't work at OO scale, but a decent satin sheen does - Bachmann get this right.

Al.

Just as easy to paint your model with a nice coat of satin varnish. Thats what I have done on my Hornby models of Black 5s, B1, K1, A4, etc and all look absolutely spot on. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

I do do this on occasion.

I find paint, and body have to be within a certain critical temperature to avoid failures as well.

I suppose the point is, Hornby could do this better, to avoid the need, and risk of failure - bleed, run, fogging, etc.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Plenty of room in the smokebox of the Bachmann version for a speaker and the chip easily fits in the loco. A lot depends on the size of a layout, the acoustics of the room it is in and individual  preferences but I agree sounds from the front of a loco, especially a larger loco sound better coming from the chimney than from the tender.  Agree too that a 9F is a brave choice given the quality of the Bachmann  version, its ongoing availability and the number already 'in service'. Bachmann might even be tempted to drop their price to significantly undercut the Hornby version when it finally appears :)

Theres also plenty of room in the tender. If you start taking things out of the body your removing weight which can impact on performance. Much easier to have the socket, chip and speaker in the tender, then your not stuck with a speaker in an enclosed area often with not much area for sound to escape. You can fit a much better quality speaker to match the quality of the engine produced but also the speakers in other tender engines that have been done. My A3, Merchant, WC are all Hornby and all have speaker in tender. They can stand easily alongside others that can match the sound and volume that others on the layout can produce. Tender is where its at and that's where it all should stay.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Theres also plenty of room in the tender. If you start taking things out of the body your removing weight which can impact on performance. Much easier to have the socket, chip and speaker in the tender, then your not stuck with a speaker in an enclosed area often with not much area for sound to escape. You can fit a much better quality speaker to match the quality of the engine produced but also the speakers in other tender engines that have been done. My A3, Merchant, WC are all Hornby and all have speaker in tender. They can stand easily alongside others that can match the sound and volume that others on the layout can produce. Tender is where its at and that's where it all should stay.   

My MN is under the Chimney Loads of space in there and its a big speaker, The New 121 from Murphy models have a small Sugar cube installed and the sound is fantastic, clear and loud. Its a Personal choice and I prefer my sound to come from up front where possible and cuts the need for delicate Tender connection wires 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Cheers have not opened up mine yet bit that info is handy out

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I think its more helpful to be talking about best match for circumstances and preferences than just trying to get the biggest speaker as possible in. I fitted an EM2 into the tender of an 8F and whilst it sounded good it also dominated the attic!  I've just got the latest Bachmann J72 which comes pre fitted with a very small speaker but the sound is balanced and proportionate and to my eye and ear the impression of a loco in steam is more convincing.  Again entirely relative to the layout setting but on my layout when a loco passes under a bridge the exhaust note changes and it is much  more convincing if that note change happens as the chimney passes than when the tender passes! Plenty of room in the Bachmann 9F smokebox for a bigger speaker (although you will need to drill the chimney out) without removing weight and the quality of small speakers has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 2 years or so. I appreciate modellers have different preferences but I think a smaller quality speaker on a stay at home layout in a relatively small space (my attic probably 20ft x 20ft) is more than adequate. 

• Like 1

I've been delaying getting a Bachmann 9F for a while, so I'll be interested to see how the Hornby one turns out. I've just ordered a rake of the KR Models Consett Iron Ore wagons so I'm hoping that one of the manufacturers will do a Tyne Dock to Consett 9F in 2022...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2021 at 08:53, sixoh8sixoh said:

I've been delaying getting a Bachmann 9F for a while, so I'll be interested to see how the Hornby one turns out. I've just ordered a rake of the KR Models Consett Iron Ore wagons so I'm hoping that one of the manufacturers will do a Tyne Dock to Consett 9F in 2022...

Given what Paul Isles teased about working on the loco before he left, I’d say a

Consett loco is a pretty certain release in the next year or two. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Hornby have officially corrected R3986 92167 to be an era 5 loco with late crest, I emailed them about it about a day or two ago, either way I am excited, will be getting 92167 & 92194 as they are allocated in areas I'm interested in modelling.

Thanks as 92167 entered service in 58 I really couldn't understand how it was going to carry an early crest.

12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Given what Paul Isles teased about working on the loco before he left, I’d say a

Consett loco is a pretty certain release in the next year or two. 

The new Edition of The Collector's club magazine confirms that the tooling suite allows for Tyne Dock locomotives as well as covering "every version" of the locomotive

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

10 hours ago, JhornG201 said:

The new Edition of The Collector's club magazine confirms that the tooling suite allows for Tyne Dock locomotives as well as covering "every version" of the locomotive

So I am assuming that would mean it will cover the Franco-Crosti boiler ones as well?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, were the Clan cylinders and the 9F cylinders the same size? I’ve always liked the photo of Evening Star with green lined cylinders and it would be straight swap if any spares become available if they are the same size. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Out of interest, were the Clan cylinders and the 9F cylinders the same size? I’ve always liked the photo of Evening Star with green lined cylinders and it would be straight swap if any spares become available if they are the same size. 

Doubt on model form the 9f and the Clan will share the same part

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Clans had cylinders 19 1/2" x 28" and 9F had (has) 20" x 28" cylinders, same as Britannias.  Smaller cylinders were to  go with the smaller boiler that  Clans had to make them lighter for lines that would only take an 18ton axle load.  However, as the Clan chassis was otherwise the same as the Britannias I would suggest that the cylinders were the same castings for all the 3 locos but bored for narrower linings in the Clans.  In any case in 4mm scale there's unlikely to be any discernible difference. But as MikeParkin65 says, it's unlikely that the Hornby component will be the same, (although could be made to fit perhaps).

I'm keen on getting a high quality 9F, (also a Clan) and have been reading  "British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives" by E S Cox, well worth getting a copy as he was responsible for their design and there is a lot of inside information into how the designs were arrived at. 

• Like 2

92194 is a useful locomotive for anyone modelling Lincolnshire, this site has a lovely photograph of it in Grimsby on an express fish train, which could be recreated in model form with a mixture of the Hornby Blue Spot vans and the older ex-LNER wooden vans made by Bachmann. These trains operated via Louth in the BR period, through the Lincolnshire Wolds. Part of the line is now preserved.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

To be accurate it should have the 1F type Tender.

Okay, I just looked on a book on the standard steam locomotives and it had a chart of the tenders, and yeah, that'll be the one that 92194 has, so that means we'll be seeing a new tooling of the BR1F, BR1G, and BR1K tenders when the 9Fs are released.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick
Made an oopsir
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does look magnificent. However I'm struggling to see any major jump out improvements over the Bachmann version...

Disappointed to see there is no recess in the top of the chassi block to capture the space betwee the frames. Even a couple of mm would be good for many viewing angles, paint the inside edges red and the recessed top of the block black.

Come on Hornby (assuming they still have a rep on this board...)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Does look magnificent. However I'm struggling to see any major jump out improvements over the Bachmann version...

Disappointed to see there is no recess in the top of the chassi block to capture the space betwee the frames. Even a couple of mm would be good for many viewing angles, paint the inside edges red and the recessed top of the block black.

Come on Hornby (assuming they still have a rep on this board...)

Depends on if part of the underside of the boiler is part of the chassis which would make it near impossible to put a recess in. 

Now Paul isn't at Hornby its probably best to email Hornby with comments. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Just incase the website is down or slow to load at any time, here's the two CAD images posted in this months TES blog.

65652.jpg.35e3f8422b66c6f7aa4d87779855fa40.jpg

65653.jpg.a4e4e3f5422740332912762d271cc9f6.jpg

The CAD looks good. I suspect the eventual model will be very crisp. Hornbys details tend to be sharper than Bachmann. It will be very interesting to compare them. Difficult with just a CAD.

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 2